Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Toe clip sizing and toe overlap

    I recently purchased some MKS clips for my Fixed gear size XL. I wear a size 12 shoe, and I that is what was recommended. However, I find they are way too deep, and also cause about 1/4' to 1/2" toe overlap. When I feel comfortable in them, I have anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" of space between the front of my shoe and the front of the clip.

    Will Medium or Large MKS clips solve these problems?

    OR: What are the size differences between the sizes of MKS clips in inches? (M,L,XL)

    They are for the Windsor in my sig.

    Thanks!

    -Jerry

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 510, Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    8,871
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kool looking bikes.
    Can you call or e-mail the manufacturer and get some size information from them?

    Al

  3. #3
    vasracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC!!!!
    My Bikes
    Leader LD-735TR, Mercier Kilo tt, 3Rensho pursuit(not complete)
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small: Men's 6 - 7.5
    Med: Men's 8 - 9.5
    Large: Men's 10-12
    X-Large: Men's 12 and up

    I would try a large if you have a 12 and have that much space between your shoe and the clip. As for over lap, if it's only 1/2" you won't have a problem with a smaller clip. Also over lap is mostly a problem with slower speeds, the faster the speed the less likely it is you'll hit your front wheel.

  4. #4
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overlap happens, but it sounds like you do need new clips.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know overlap is sometimes inevitable, but I figure new clips may kill 2 birds with one stone.

    Anyway, what do you guys think about the idea of buying some mediums, and if they turn out too small, (I do like my foot abnormally far back on the pedal) I could just space them out a touch with an extra nut or washers between the clip and pedal? In essence, I could custom size them to my needs that way.

    Thanks for the help!

    -Jerry

  6. #6
    vasracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC!!!!
    My Bikes
    Leader LD-735TR, Mercier Kilo tt, 3Rensho pursuit(not complete)
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ride with just the ball of your foot on the pedal then try the mediums. Save any washer that are on your clips now that way if you do need to space them out you can use those instead of running around and trying to find washers that might work. Also take into account the length of the bolt, I know the bolt that come with the MKS clips are rather short, Just enough for the pedal and clip.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
    If you ride with just the ball of your foot on the pedal then try the mediums. Save any washer that are on your clips now that way if you do need to space them out you can use those instead of running around and trying to find washers that might work. Also take into account the length of the bolt, I know the bolt that come with the MKS clips are rather short, Just enough for the pedal and clip.
    Great, thanks for the input, Ill order them tonight.

    I just looked at my stock bolts and there is about 1/4" of extra thread, so I should be good to go.

    Thanks for the help everyone!

    -Jerry

  8. #8
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found some 1/4" thick spacers at my local hardware store. You might want to go ahead and get the medium clips and if they're too short, just space them forward slightly.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    24,845
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrymcdougal View Post
    Anyway, what do you guys think about the idea of buying some mediums, and if they turn out too small, (I do like my foot abnormally far back on the pedal) I could just space them out a touch with an extra nut or washers between the clip and pedal? In essence, I could custom size them to my needs that way.

    Thanks for the help!

    -Jerry
    That will work fine. A friend wears size 14 shoes and we couldn't find any clips bigger than "Large". A short stack of washers and longer bolts solved his problem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 510, Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    8,871
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By convention the ball of your foot should center over the pedal spindle.

  11. #11
    Death fork? Naaaah!! top506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The other Maine, north of RT 2
    My Bikes
    '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '84 Shogun 500, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
    Posts
    3,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    I've found some 1/4" thick spacers at my local hardware store. You might want to go ahead and get the medium clips and if they're too short, just space them forward slightly.
    Works for me:



    FWIW, I've found Medium clips to be too short for my size 9 1/2 feet. Both Japanese and European clips need to be Large for me, unless spaced as above.
    Top
    You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

  12. #12
    Senior Member jerrymcdougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
    By convention the ball of your foot should center over the pedal spindle.
    Whys that? Genuinely curious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •