Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Are these usually

    ...brazed or screwed on? I hope for the latter, so I can remove them reversibly:

  2. #2
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brazed.

  3. #3
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supcom View Post
    Brazed.
    sh*t!

  4. #4
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    you can get downtube cable stops to cover them from loosescrews and other places. if you remove the barrel adjuster, they would not be too unsightly.

    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....9;0588-00'

    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  5. #5
    vasracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC!!!!
    My Bikes
    Leader LD-735TR, Mercier Kilo tt, 3Rensho pursuit(not complete)
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you removing them to make the frame into a fixed or single speed or just to get them out of the way? If I had this come into the shop i would normally reheat the solder with a torch, but i don't recommend it here because the paint looks in extremely good condition. If your certain you will never use them again, saw or grind them off at the stop and go over them with paint or just clear coat them.

  6. #6
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
    Are you removing them to make the frame into a fixed or single speed or just to get them out of the way? If I had this come into the shop i would normally reheat the solder with a torch, but i don't recommend it here because the paint looks in extremely good condition. If your certain you will never use them again, saw or grind them off at the stop and go over them with paint or just clear coat them.
    It will be a singlespeed. SO I want to get those out of the way. But if it was possible to do it reversibly, I'd have rather done it that way. I really hate these geared-bike-protuberances.

    Yes, the paintjob is still quite nice. It would be a pity to torch it.

  7. #7
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    you can get downtube cable stops to cover them from loosescrews and other places. if you remove the barrel adjuster, they would not be too unsightly.

    http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....9;0588-00'

    Thanks. I would take that idea into consideration for some other applications, but in this case, that would make those studs even more prominent and gnarly. (btw, "gnarly" is a nice word)

  8. #8
    vasracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC!!!!
    My Bikes
    Leader LD-735TR, Mercier Kilo tt, 3Rensho pursuit(not complete)
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the pictures it' shard to tell, but see if the post have flat slots or perpendicular flat surfaces. This will give you a surface for a 10mm wrench to be used for removal. It make take some time as these post are on there pretty tight.

  9. #9
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,083
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    Thanks. I would take that idea into consideration for some other applications, but in this case, that would make those studs even more prominent and gnarly. (btw, "gnarly" is a nice word)
    Protuberances is cooler in my opinion! Get some dice, in a color to complement your theme, drill some holes in them and epoxy in some bolts that fit the threads on the those studs. Screw the dice over the studs! You could use anything to fit the theme of the bike. Skulls, whatever. Get creative.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Joshua A.C. New's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang streamers from them!
    Joshua A.C. Newman,
    Passionate lover of construction

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are brazed on so you have 3 choices. Leave them. leave them and cover them, or remove and repaint.
    The last is reversible just re-braze and repaint. It's only money right?

  12. #12
    Senior Member fender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Berwyn PA
    My Bikes
    I hate bikes!
    Posts
    4,435
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvs cycles View Post
    They are brazed on so you have 3 choices. Leave them. leave them and cover them, or remove and repaint.
    The last is reversible just re-braze and repaint. It's only money right?
    #4- Buy a bike/frame that is supposed to run as fixed gear/single speed instead of destroying a nice frame by "getting rid" of the attributes that are required so it can function the way is was designed Ahhh !!! fashion.

  13. #13
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
    From the pictures it' shard to tell, but see if the post have flat slots or perpendicular flat surfaces. This will give you a surface for a 10mm wrench to be used for removal. It make take some time as these post are on there pretty tight.
    Yes, they have those flat surfaces, that's why I was hoping I could have a chance at screwing them off.

  14. #14
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvs cycles View Post
    They are brazed on so you have 3 choices. Leave them. leave them and cover them, or remove and repaint.
    The last is reversible just re-braze and repaint. It's only money right?
    Do you have any tip on how to remove them with least damage?

  15. #15
    vasracer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC!!!!
    My Bikes
    Leader LD-735TR, Mercier Kilo tt, 3Rensho pursuit(not complete)
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I mentioned try a 10mm open end wrench or try using a large adjustable.

  16. #16
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
    Like I mentioned try a 10mm open end wrench or try using a large adjustable.
    Right. The wrench. I am not sure how delicate this can be, because I have no experience with removing brazed parts. Since (if I am not mistaken, which I might be, but hold your flamethrowers for a sec) brazing is done with copper (or was it bronze), which is much weaker than steel, I shouldn't need to apply too much stress - at least, in relative terms to what the frame can whistand.

    Oh yeah, and then the paint. Should I cover the frame around the stud (AKA "unnecessary protuberance") tightly with some kind of tape, to keep the paint from defoliating?

  17. #17
    * vpiuva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    Thanks. I would take that idea into consideration for some other applications, but in this case, that would make those studs even more prominent and gnarly. (btw, "gnarly" is a nice word)

    Actually after you remove the adjustment barrels it covers the studs quite nicely. I did this with my Trek 1220 that was a SS for a while, and is now back to a geared bike.

  18. #18
    Licensed Bike Geek Davet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Spokane, Washington. Bicyclist's heaven!
    My Bikes
    Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol
    Posts
    938
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you try to remove the brazed-on dt stops, like vasracer suggests, you run a very strong risk of damaging the downtube. It depends on the strength of the brazing. If it were my frame, I wouldn't take the chance, I'd cover the stops as others have suggested.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Old Hammer Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Utah
    My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,082
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep 'em on. When you get to be my age you'll want gears!

  20. #20
    mousse de chocolat Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    My Bikes
    Soma Double Cross, Raleigh Rush Hour, Fuji America Fixed, "Modernized" Gitane
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasracer View Post
    From the pictures it' shard to tell, but see if the post have flat slots or perpendicular flat surfaces. This will give you a surface for a 10mm wrench to be used for removal. It make take some time as these post are on there pretty tight.
    Don't dew eet mahn!!!!

  21. #21
    Senior Member Joshua A.C. New's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could grind them down then repaint the raw steel.

    Twisting them out seems to me like a staggeringly bad idea. Since, if you take them off, you're going to have to repaint the area anyway, just grind them down.
    Joshua A.C. Newman,
    Passionate lover of construction

  22. #22
    * vpiuva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately it's not a close-up , but a pic of my covered braze-ons with the cable stops, barrels removed

  23. #23
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy View Post
    Keep 'em on. When you get to be my age you'll want gears!
    I think I'm already your age! 39 in a week.


    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua A.C. New View Post
    You could grind them down then repaint the raw steel.
    Twisting them out seems to me like a staggeringly bad idea. Since, if you take them off, you're going to have to repaint the area anyway, just grind them down.
    I was thinking exactly that. Thanks for reinforcing what I was suspecting.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,143
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fender1 View Post
    #4- Buy a bike/frame that is supposed to run as fixed gear/single speed instead of destroying a nice frame by "getting rid" of the attributes that are required so it can function the way is was designed Ahhh !!! fashion.
    True. A real SS will have the right drop outs also.

  25. #25
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Don't dew eet mahn!!!!
    Aw.. okay okay.....



    This is the best I could do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •