Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re-packing Keo Pedals, Sealed Bearings, & Ticking Noises
I have a very annoying ticking sound as I pedal. I think that it's coming from the Keo pedal (Ti-Carbon) on the right side. Here's what I know:
- The tick seems to occur mostly at the 2 o'clock position of the right crank (probably related to that being the position of bearing down on them)
- It only occurs when pedaling--not coasting
- It occurs when standing or seated
- It occurs when I'm not wearing my cleats--sneakers too
- I have a new chain (less than 300 miles)
- I checked all the screws in my cleats--they're tight
- The cleats are new as well (less than 200 miles)
- The pedals were just recently removed from the crank, cleaned, re-greased, and remounted by LBS
- I pedaled one-legged both sides. Sound disappears when clipped in left-footed
- When I pull up throughout the entire pedaling circle and exert zero downward pressure, the noise ceases
- Bottom bracket was just disassembled, cleaned, regreased, and put back
- There is no play between the crankarms
Is it possible to disassemble the Keo pedal, clean & repack the bearings (replace if necessary)? Any link on how to do this?
How long do sealed cartridge bearings last? Mine is an Ultegra BB with about 7,000 miles on it. I will be pulling them out and checking them for any scratchys that I can feel.