Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Campagnolo Ultra Torque

    I bought a Campagnolo build set and was getting ready to put the crack on when I noticed there was no bolt to lock it together. My question is should this have come with the buildset and if not what part(s) do I need to lock them together and where could I order them online. The Crank is a Mirage double 10 speed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,290
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bolt that joins the two spindle halves should definitely have come with the build kit. Contact whoever you bought it from for the right part. It is not an ordinary metric bolt according to the Campy web site but you should have gotten it with the crank (crack?)

  3. #3
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    The bolt that joins the two spindle halves should definitely have come with the build kit. Contact whoever you bought it from for the right part. It is not an ordinary metric bolt according to the Campy web site but you should have gotten it with the crank (crack?)
    Ditto to what HillRider said. You can't ride the bike without that bolt in there (well not very far anyway - like one half turn of the crank). It sounds as if you may not have gotten the Campy instructions with your crankset. If that is the case go here http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=f , scroll down the page and look at the instructions for Ultra Torque. IF that bolt is missing, something else (less obvious - like the wavy washer) may also be missing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the bolt should have been included. I emailed the company so we will see what they do. Thanks for the suggestion about the wavy washer. I need to doulbe check that when I get home. I did get all of my instructions. Thanks for the help.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome.

  6. #6
    Senior Member tzracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine had the bolt screwed into one of the crank halves. The wave washer was included with the BB.

  7. #7
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS, Simpson VR
    Posts
    9,171
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tzracer View Post
    Mine had the bolt screwed into one of the crank halves. The wave washer was included with the BB.
    This is exactly the way they are shipped. The bolt is screwed into the crank (where the two axle halves come together) and the C-clip and waver washer are included with the BB.

    The bolt you may be missing is indeed a specific piece. It has a built in thrust washer that is KEY to keeping the crankset locker together. When torqued to spec (this is also VERY important) it exerts about 1500lbs of force.

    Don't forget to install the wavy washer AND C-clip. These aren't extra or optional parts. They serve a function.

    I also recommend that you have your BB shell faced. This is true with any BB design that places the bearings outside the frame. It will run smoother and last longer.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the bolt in mines were in the axle. Probably u still have it in there.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I checked when I got home and there is no bolt in the crank. I searched through the box again and there still was unable to find a bolt. I emailed the company today and I hope to hear back from them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
    The bolt you may be missing is indeed a specific piece. It has a built in thrust washer that is KEY to keeping the crankset locker together. When torqued to spec (this is also VERY important) it exerts about 1500lbs of force.
    Well not to quibble but:

    "The front coupling of the Hirth type is self-aligning and self-centring, but it has to be preloaded if it is to work properly and transform the two semi-axles into a solid and very rigid shaft: this function is provided by the spring washer of the central fixing screw which exerts a pressure of 600kg/1300lb on the coupling."

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did u check both cranks?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I checked both cranks. I checked to see if it was plugged in and turned on also.

  13. #13
    118AHC "Thunderbirds" 2372ighost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    AL.
    My Bikes
    Numerous (wife says to many)
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thaetviking View Post
    I checked to see if it was plugged in and turned on also.
    That was going to be my suggestion

  14. #14
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS, Simpson VR
    Posts
    9,171
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    Well not to quibble but:

    "The front coupling of the Hirth type is self-aligning and self-centring, but it has to be preloaded if it is to work properly and transform the two semi-axles into a solid and very rigid shaft: this function is provided by the spring washer of the central fixing screw which exerts a pressure of 600kg/1300lb on the coupling."
    Actually, I'd say that was quibbling.

    I pulled the number from memory, not from a book. It is irrelevant anyway. The important point was that it was a specifically designed part and not one that can be replaced with something else you may have lying around.

    Geeze.

  15. #15
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
    Actually, I'd say that was quibbling.

    I pulled the number from memory, not from a book. It is irrelevant anyway. The important point was that it was a specifically designed part and not one that can be replaced with something else you may have lying around.

    Geeze.
    Actually you are right; it was quibbling. Sorry.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Coyote2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    Actually you are right; it was quibbling. Sorry.
    Jesus, what a love-fest. This is BF -- don't you guys know the routine? By this point you are supposed to be posting vulgar insults about each other's Mommas.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Herneka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Quad Cities, Iowa
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Traveler Fixie, Fuji Berkley commuter, Specialized Sirrus road rig, ++ many more
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, right... uh... your mom quibbles! yeah, take that!!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herneka View Post
    Right, right... uh... your mom quibbles! yeah, take that!!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please lets keep the thread on track. The info about it being a special bolt is important and it looks like I may need suggestions on where to get one.

  20. #20
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this is BF.

    But to answer your question:

    On the Campy site there is a number for their office in California. They are quite helpful and I'm sure they can give you the info you need to get the bolt.

    CAMPAGNOLO NORTH AMERICA INC.
    5431 Avenida Encinas, Suite C - CARLSBAD - CA 92008
    U.S.A.
    Phone: +1-760-9310106
    Fax: +1-760-9310991

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Furio Specialized Allez Pro
    Posts
    164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    Well this is BF.

    But to answer your question:

    On the Campy site there is a number for their office in California. They are quite helpful and I'm sure they can give you the info you need to get the bolt.

    CAMPAGNOLO NORTH AMERICA INC.
    5431 Avenida Encinas, Suite C - CARLSBAD - CA 92008
    U.S.A.
    Phone: +1-760-9310106
    Fax: +1-760-9310991
    Thanks

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Vero Beach FL
    Posts
    1,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a very specific torque on the bolt. Be sure to follow directions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •