Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-07, 01:35 AM   #1
darksmaster923
BEEP BEEP IMMA JEEP
Thread Starter
 
darksmaster923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, California, USA
Bikes: Dawes road bike
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drop handlebars

hey, i want to install drop handlebars on my bike, but i have no idea how. i also have different parts from the road bikes, like mountain bike brake levers and sram 5.0 grip shifters. can i install it with the existing components or do i have to buy new stuff.
darksmaster923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 04:08 AM   #2
CaptainCool
``````````````
 
CaptainCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: san jose
Bikes:
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://bikeforums.net/search.php?

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=357634
http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=345963
http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=343753
http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=279456
http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=271529
CaptainCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 04:11 AM   #3
JiveTurkey
Low car diet
 
JiveTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll need new shifters and brake levers. One combo would be drop brake levers and bar-end shifters. Another would be integrated brake/shift levers ("brifters").

Think the rear derailleur matched to your 5.0 grip shifters will only be compatible with SRAM brifters (don't think they made an 8-speed though). You could always switch the rear derailleur out to a Shimano to widen your options.

Another consideration is brakes. If you have V-brakes, you'll need to 1) get brake levers meant for these V-brakes; there are only a couple out there (you won't be able to use brifters), 2) get an adapter for the V-brakes, or 3) switch to cantilever brakes.

The cheapest option--if all you're looking for are the drop position for part-time--might be some drop add-ons I saw at my LBS. I imagine you'd want a shorter MTB bar for it (ie, cut your existing one).

What bike are you wanting to convert?
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 07:26 AM   #4
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I ddi the same conversion to an old MTB a year or so ago but there were two differences: 1) I did know what I needed to do and 2) I had almost all of the needed conversion parts already in my inventory as take-offs from other bikes that had been upgraded in the past.

If you are starting from scratch and need all new parts, this can be a costly conversion. Buying a good used complete road bike might be less expensive.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 10:32 AM   #5
darksmaster923
BEEP BEEP IMMA JEEP
Thread Starter
 
darksmaster923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, California, USA
Bikes: Dawes road bike
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
You'll need new shifters and brake levers. One combo would be drop brake levers and bar-end shifters. Another would be integrated brake/shift levers ("brifters").

Think the rear derailleur matched to your 5.0 grip shifters will only be compatible with SRAM brifters (don't think they made an 8-speed though). You could always switch the rear derailleur out to a Shimano to widen your options.

Another consideration is brakes. If you have V-brakes, you'll need to 1) get brake levers meant for these V-brakes; there are only a couple out there (you won't be able to use brifters), 2) get an adapter for the V-brakes, or 3) switch to cantilever brakes.

The cheapest option--if all you're looking for are the drop position for part-time--might be some drop add-ons I saw at my LBS. I imagine you'd want a shorter MTB bar for it (ie, cut your existing one).

What bike are you wanting to convert?
actually its a 9 speed.
i guess ill get the bar ends. is there any shops/websites that have them? or ebay cuz i saw one on ebay
darksmaster923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 10:43 AM   #6
darksmaster923
BEEP BEEP IMMA JEEP
Thread Starter
 
darksmaster923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, California, USA
Bikes: Dawes road bike
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wait would these mtb drop handlebars wurk?
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1678
darksmaster923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 01:27 PM   #7
JiveTurkey
Low car diet
 
JiveTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksmaster923 View Post
wait would these mtb drop handlebars wurk?
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1678
I don't think they'll work with your current shifters and brake levers. Flar/riser bars have a 22.2 mm diameter; whereas drop bars have 23.8 mm (not counting the stem clamp diameter, which is generally 25.4 mm and 26.0 mm, respectively, though there is also oversized 31.8 mm for both).

The bars might be a good setup with road brake levers and bar-end shifters.

But, like another said, you might just want to save up and get a road bike or cyclocross bike.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 06:55 PM   #8
darksmaster923
BEEP BEEP IMMA JEEP
Thread Starter
 
darksmaster923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, California, USA
Bikes: Dawes road bike
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
I don't think they'll work with your current shifters and brake levers. Flar/riser bars have a 22.2 mm diameter; whereas drop bars have 23.8 mm (not counting the stem clamp diameter, which is generally 25.4 mm and 26.0 mm, respectively, though there is also oversized 31.8 mm for both).

The bars might be a good setup with road brake levers and bar-end shifters.

But, like another said, you might just want to save up and get a road bike or cyclocross bike.
oh well.....i would like a road bike but i cant afford one anytime soon(like 9 years lol)
so ill use the drop bar ends but i have no idea where to find them
darksmaster923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 PM.