Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New Orleans, LA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Steve! As a matter of fact I just did the dirty deed!
I had finally assembled all the goods to do a bar upgrade on my Bianchi. The original bar was too narrow and the drops too shallow so I got a new bar. At the same time I decided to install a quill to threadless adapter and threadless stem (shorter because the old one felt too long) as well as some bar end shifters I had picked up. Just spent a couple of quality hours with Dolce puttin' on a whole new face. Everything went really smoothly except that I got the shifters all installed and then realized that I needed to slip the brakes on first. Ah, but it was just the work of a minute or two to rectify the situation. To top of the whole thing I wrapped the bar in celeste/blue splash tape with Bianchi embossed on it. Because this older version of celeste is more blue, kind an aqua color, the regular solid celeste tape is too green, but the celeste and blue combo mingle visually to work nicely with the bike's color. I wish I could have found blue brake hoods. I think they would look better than the original white or the only other option of which I am aware - black. If anyone knows of blue brake hoods (brake only levers, not STI), I would like to find a source.
I did wind up wrapping the tape as you and nebill described, securing the beginning with a hidden bit of electrical tape just to be safe and finishing with blue 3M tape.
Besides the brake hoods, the only other thing that concerns me a little is the way the shifter cable housings just kind of erupt from under the bar tape about 1 1/2 to 2 inches below the brakes. I would like to have had it come out closer to the brakes but the provided housing was not long enough without a pretty sharp bend and disturbing tautness then the wheel was turned. I think the way I have it is the way it was intended. I anchored them well with electical tape, and they look fine. I think I followed the instructions, but they were not very specific. It just seems like the housings could get in the way of thumbs though they didn't on a test ride. If they present a problem, I will cut my own housings next time I rewrap.
Thanks for the help!
If it ain't broke, mess with it anyway!
Last edited by RainmanP; 10-04-01 at 08:35 PM.