Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    derailleur in the spokes!

    neuvation wheel with 9/10spd campy compatible freehub.
    record derailleur...~'98, 1st gen 9s.
    record ti 9s cassette.
    frame has been professionally checked...hanger and rear triangle are both straight.

    so, in the largest rear cog, the inner pulley cage hits the spokes. same frame works fine with 8s setup (chorus freehub, derailleur & cassette). what gives?

    campyonly.com tells me there is a spacer included w/9s campy cassettes to push them outboard a little. i've never seen one, and i don't have one.

    neuvation says they can relace the wheel and put the spokes on the inside of the flange.

    record derailleur might be an 8s model, but has been used sucessfully in a 9s drivetrain by the previous owner.

    any ideas?

  2. #2
    just ride
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    My Bikes
    bianchi eros, specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you recently serviced derailleur wheels ? Is the inner cage plate upside down ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would realign the rear derailluer hanger. I suspect it is bent inward on the bottom. Do it with a known straight rear wheel in the bike. Roger

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    neuvation wheel with 9/10spd campy compatible freehub.
    record derailleur...~'98, 1st gen 9s.
    record ti 9s cassette.
    frame has been professionally checked...hanger and rear triangle are both straight.

    so, in the largest rear cog, the inner pulley cage hits the spokes. same frame works fine with 8s setup (chorus freehub, derailleur & cassette). what gives?

    campyonly.com tells me there is a spacer included w/9s campy cassettes to push them outboard a little. i've never seen one, and i don't have one.

    neuvation says they can relace the wheel and put the spokes on the inside of the flange.

    record derailleur might be an 8s model, but has been used sucessfully in a 9s drivetrain by the previous owner.

    any ideas?
    And what about the low limit screw?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the tension on the wheel? I had something similar happen where off the bike it was fine but once I got on it the spokes bowed out enough that they rubbed against the rd. Turns out the wheel wasn't tensioned enough and self destructed soon after.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please...

    no, the cage is not upside down.

    as has already been stated, hanger has been professionally checked with an alignment gauge. it is straight.

    the limit screw is also fine. i can set the limit such that it doesn't contact the spokes, but then it also doesn't shift into the last cog.

    interference happens in the stand, without a rider loading the wheels.

    other ideas?

  7. #7
    noob MnIceBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly 1x1, Madone 5.0, Hoopty-ass custom-ass 29"er, 20" Cholo Cruiser
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that spacer. It is necessary, and should come with the cassette. I'm sure you could pick one up cheap at the LBS. They don't interact with the splines, they just slide over the freehub body before you put the cassette on, so you don't need a campy specific one or anything like that.
    As bike riders we're the abused children of the road. It's no wonder we're not nice to each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Senior Member Coyote2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I recall some stories like this about Neuvation wheels, but don't recall details. It likely has something to do with the current lacing scheme and some combination of hub/spokes/etc being out-of-tolerance. Those Neuvations are lousy wheels, though, so I would suspect them as the culprit.

    John Neugent, the Neuvation owner, will probably take care of the problem. That's his method: sells cheap and nasty wheels and just keeps on fixing and replacing them when they fail.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2 View Post
    I think I recall some stories like this about Neuvation wheels, but don't recall details. It likely has something to do with the current lacing scheme and some combination of hub/spokes/etc being out-of-tolerance. Those Neuvations are lousy wheels, though, so I would suspect them as the culprit.

    John Neugent, the Neuvation owner, will probably take care of the problem. That's his method: sells cheap and nasty wheels and just keeps on fixing and replacing them when they fail.
    hmm...i looked hard for bad reviews and didn't find anything serious. mostly raves in fact. where do you get your opinion from? i'm not calling BS, just curious...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MnIceBiker View Post
    Get that spacer. It is necessary, and should come with the cassette.
    that's what i'm told...but i don't see it in the campy spare parts pdfs on their site, nor does it seem like there's much spare lockring thread to allow it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Coyote2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    hmm...i looked hard for bad reviews and didn't find anything serious. mostly raves in fact. where do you get your opinion from? i'm not calling BS, just curious...
    Yes, there are lots of good reviews of Neuvation wheels. Most of them are like this: "The wheels fell apart, but John Neugent fixed/replaced them." Go to roadbikereview.com

  12. #12
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is common with certain wheels. My 8 speed Record derailleur used to hit the carbon blades of my Spinergy wheel. The thin spacer which came with the Campy cassette corrected this problem to some degree but the carbon spokes still came awfully close to hitting the cage. Derailleur hanger alignment was dead on and low limit screw setting was extremely critical here.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2 View Post
    I think I recall some stories like this about Neuvation wheels, but don't recall details. It likely has something to do with the current lacing scheme and some combination of hub/spokes/etc being out-of-tolerance. Those Neuvations are lousy wheels, though, so I would suspect them as the culprit.

    John Neugent, the Neuvation owner, will probably take care of the problem. That's his method: sells cheap and nasty wheels and just keeps on fixing and replacing them when they fail.
    ^ Ignorant reply. ^

    I'm a 200 pound Clydesdale, and own a set of M28 Aeros and R28 SL3's. These are the best wheels I have ever owned, and yes, John provides really fantastic customer service (not that I needed it that often). Of course, if I was 150 pound mountain specialist, I'd want something lighter, but for the money, smooth spinning and durability (my rd actually got caught in the spokes of the M28 - sheared the Dura Ace cage in half, but only bent two spokes, which John promptly replaced).

    I had a friend for whom I built a Jamis Comet with Xero XR3 wheels that did the same thing as yours. Ended up being the tension on the XR3 was way off. Got that fixed and no more rubbing. He eventually got M28's too btw. The only other time I had this happen was because of chain length being too short. Might want to check that too.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Coyote2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually not an ignorant reply at all, if you consider the literal meaning of "ignorant" -- I have owned more Neuvation wheelsets than you. But thanks for your input, even if it is ill-informed.

  15. #15
    just ride
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    My Bikes
    bianchi eros, specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not looking to stir thing up - but am perplexed. If you don't like Neuvation wheelsets, how is it you have owned so many ?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Coyote2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear View Post
    Not looking to stir thing up - but am perplexed. If you don't like Neuvation wheelsets, how is it you have owned so many ?
    See my earlier post -- wheels fall apart, company owner keeps replacing 'em. That lasted until I got tired of standing on the roadside waiting for my wife to drive me home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •