Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Chief Chef BearsPaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly (Manayunk)
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Touring & 1980s Motobecane Mirage FG conversion
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    SA Indicator Spindle (how dumb am I?)

    I've never worked an a three-speed before. I got a 1965 Cavalier (Raleigh) off CL for $20 last year, and it has just worked.

    The other day the indicator spindle (I think that's the name, the chain running into the hub that shifts gears) fell out. I retrieved it, and after some research online, it seemed like I could simply screw it back in. There are threads on the spindle. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Any suggestions? Did I lose a piece when it fell out of the hub?




  2. #2
    Senior Member cman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boise,ID
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like everything is there. have you had it out before? Is the end of the small threads pointed? maybe the end broke off inside. If that happened, the hub will have to be dissassembled

    Here is a link with some diagrams for reference.
    http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1162

  3. #3
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,868
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsPaw View Post
    I've never worked an a three-speed before. I got a 1965 Cavalier (Raleigh) off CL for $20 last year, and it has just worked.

    The other day the indicator spindle (I think that's the name, the chain running into the hub that shifts gears) fell out. I retrieved it, and after some research online, it seemed like I could simply screw it back in. There are threads on the spindle. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Any suggestions? Did I lose a piece when it fell out of the hub?



    Can't really see the condition of the threads in the photo, but the point is still there so I think it just unthreaded. Just lay the bike on it's left side so gravity will help the thread engage and drop it all the way in and turn the chain clockwise until it stops. Back it off a half turn and re-connect and adjust. Might not hurt to lube it a bit first.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  4. #4
    Senior Member BikeManDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    1,300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be able to just insert it and screw it in clockwise

    Seems like maybe you're missing the cable affixing bolt though (but that won't prevent you from screwing the indicator in)

  5. #5
    Chief Chef BearsPaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly (Manayunk)
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Touring & 1980s Motobecane Mirage FG conversion
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cman
    Looks like everything is there. have you had it out before? Is the end of the small threads pointed? maybe the end broke off inside. If that happened, the hub will have to be dissassembled
    I had never taken it out before. I think I'll have to try disassembly. Thanks for the diagram links.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
    Can't really see the condition of the threads in the photo, but the point is still there so I think it just unthreaded. Just lay the bike on it's left side so gravity will help the thread engage and drop it all the way in and turn the chain clockwise until it stops.
    This sounded like a promising idea, but I couldn't get it to work. It feels like it is all the way in, but it's just not catching. The threads on the spindle look fine, but who knows what it looks like inside the hub.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwoloz View Post
    Seems like maybe you're missing the cable affixing bolt though (but that won't prevent you from screwing the indicator in)
    I have it on my table. I just took it off when I detached the cable to make it easier to screw in the spindle.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like your right axle nut is broken also. The cylindrical part shown in your spindle picture should be attached to the hex nut in the other picture.

    Has the down-shifting been difficult recently? The broken nut could cause this as the normal shift chain guiding function would be impaired. If it was difficult and you forced it you may have stripped the thread of the internal part that the spindle screws into.

  7. #7
    Curmudgeon Wil Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nausea, New Hamster
    My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Posts
    1,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rod with the thread finishing at a point should screw into the axle key (see diagrams). The point is there to make it easier to locate. From your picture it looks as though the thread might be stripped… …bummer!

    - Wil
    "" - Marcel Marceau

  8. #8
    surly old man jgedwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.
    Posts
    3,282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threads might be stripped. Very hard to tell from that picture. If so, they are cheap to replace. An LBS that has been around will have one someplace. Only a couple of bucks.

    If it is not (and I would guess it is not), then keep trying. The threads are fine, so go gently. It goes in a lot more deeply than one might guess, so try to make sure you have it going right in the center and at a 90 degree angle to the hub.

    Don't give up on it. A 3 spd that runs well is a fun bike.

    jim
    Cross Check Nexus7, IRO Mark V, Trek 620 Nexus7, Karate Monkey half fat, IRO Model 19 fixed, Amp Research B3, Surly 1x1 half fat fixed, and more...
    --------------------------
    SB forever

  9. #9
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsPaw View Post
    I have it (the cable anchor bolt) on my table. I just took it off when I detached the cable to make it easier to screw in the spindle.
    Actually, that made things _harder_!

    The normal procedure is to unscrew the knurled adjuster from the outer end of the indicator spindle. You don't want to disturb the cable anchor bolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by bikingbrit View Post
    It looks like your right axle nut is broken also. The cylindrical part shown in your spindle picture should be attached to the hex nut in the other picture.
    No, that's the "two piece" right axle nut setup that Raleigh used for a while. It allowed them to make the bike box a skosh thinner, saving them big bucks on shipping.

    Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/aw" Brown
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  10. #10
    Chief Chef BearsPaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly (Manayunk)
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Touring & 1980s Motobecane Mirage FG conversion
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thanks for the encouragement. I just kept trying, and it turns out it went in a lot deeper than it seemed at first. It's in now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown View Post
    Actually, that made things _harder_!

    The normal procedure is to unscrew the knurled adjuster from the outer end of the indicator spindle. You don't want to disturb the cable anchor bolt.
    And now I know what I am working on next...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •