I have a surly cross check frame set. I bought it here in Taiwan from a shop in another town. Now I am in my town and I want my LBS to build it up for me. I would like to have a clearer idea what I want before I go in. Some things they will be fine with but others I would like some info before we start.
I would like to use this frame for light touring, getting around, riding with road bike friends...
Here are my ideas, any comments welcome
1. I want to use Tiagra shifters that are built into the brakes and i think Tiagra deraillers because they are a bit cheaper?
2. three chain rings for climbing
3. can i just switch between a road tire and thicker tire for touring
4. what should i look for in wheels - spoke numbers, name brands off the rack...
5. what kind of brakes? something that allows for thicker tires
...stem, bars, seat and seat post, cranks, pedals, headset, bottom bracket... i can figure out.. I don't know what to say about the gearing, brakes and wheels...