Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    i need some help removing a freewheel

    So I have this bianchi San Jose that has 130 spacing but uses a 120 hub.

    Because the hub has to be spaced out to fit the frame I cant get the freewheel removal too to make contact with the freewheel.

    Here is the wheel. The tool isnt deep enough to make it over the axel nut.



    Here is the tool I am using



    Here you can see the problem



    Is there other tools that will give me the extra reach to engage the freewheel? I really dont want to have to remove that nut and have the hub start comming apart on me.

  2. #2
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
    Is there other tools that will give me the extra reach to engage the freewheel? I really dont want to have to remove that nut and have the hub start comming apart on me.
    Yes, the new Park FR-8 will do the trick.

    See: http://harriscyclery.com/tools/freewheel

    Sheldon "The Right Tool For The Job" Brown
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  3. #3
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh perfect. now does anyone have pictorial on how to rebuild a hub after its been all messed up because it was loosened?

  4. #4
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pull the locknut and spacer off the axle, then your remover will seat. I've had to do this a bunch of times.

  5. #5
    Let your bike be the tool cranky old road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NC/SC border
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '96 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome
    Posts
    799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
    ahh perfect. now does anyone have pictorial on how to rebuild a hub after its been all messed up because it was loosened?
    Remove in haste- repack at leisure
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...

  6. #6
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i finally got around to buying the tool sheldon recommended and unfortunately it doesnt work. taking off lock nuts and spacers just to remove a freewheel is ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,219
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
    i finally got around to buying the tool sheldon recommended and unfortunately it doesnt work. taking off lock nuts and spacers just to remove a freewheel is ridiculous.
    Normally it isn't necessary. In your case it's an artifact of having a 120 hub spaced out for 130 dropouts.

  8. #8
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can thread the locknut back on over the tool to hold it in place while you are applying force to remove it; prevents slippage.
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  9. #9
    messenger
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    WLA
    My Bikes
    pinarellos and a colnago
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow..... I dont mean to be snarky--- but I would be embarrassed to tell the world I'm too lazy to move the nut...... I mean I like to check my axels anyway as much as I have time--- I have a nice set of cone wrenches and box wrenches and I think its proper to check your bearings as much as possible--- you could hone out that tool on a press?

  10. #10
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G piny parnas View Post
    wow..... I dont mean to be snarky--- but I would be embarrassed to tell the world I'm too lazy to move the nut...... I mean I like to check my axels anyway as much as I have time--- I have a nice set of cone wrenches and box wrenches and I think its proper to check your bearings as much as possible--- you could hone out that tool on a press?
    when i initially made this thread i never had and never planned on overhauling a hub. Its just not my thing. FWIW I did initially loosen the nut and then screwed everything up trying to put it all back together since I had no clue what I was doing. All I wanted to do was the simple task of removing a freewheel not rebuild a hub.

  11. #11
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Normally it isn't necessary. In your case it's an artifact of having a 120 hub spaced out for 130 dropouts.
    I agree. I think its stupid that bianchi would spec a bike like this in the first place.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,219
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
    I agree. I think its stupid that bianchi would spec a bike like this in the first place.
    I'm not sure Bianchci did it. I think someone took a multispeed Bianchi road bike that originally came with a 130 mm cassette freehub and converted it to a single speed using an available 120 mm hub. The fact the hub is nutted tells me it isn't OEM on that bike.

  13. #13
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,770
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I'm not sure Bianchci did it. I think someone took a multispeed Bianchi road bike that originally came with a 130 mm cassette freehub and converted it to a single speed using an available 120 mm hub. The fact the hub is nutted tells me it isn't OEM on that bike.

    I believe the Bianchi San Jose is a factory single speed-

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,219
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by well biked View Post
    I believe the Bianchi San Jose is a factory single speed-
    Uhhhh, yeah, so it is. And, in fact, the rear hub is nutted. So much for my theory.

  15. #15
    Oh The Huge Manatee Lithuania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mabra
    Posts
    4,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Uhhhh, yeah, so it is. And, in fact, the rear hub is nutted. So much for my theory.
    haha dont worry. now that i know more about this sort of thing i am shocked as well.

    the bianchi san jose is a factory SS utilizing the same frame as geared Volpe model.

  16. #16
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11,764
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are multiple reasons as to why a conventional 4-prong BMX tool wouldnt fit. Regardless of the reasons the outer axle nut needs/needed to be removed.

    Think of this as a good learnig experience. You can learn to repack a hub and properly adjust a hub.

    Money saved by fixing it yourself = moeny for other things
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    yreka, ca
    My Bikes
    like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, remove the nut, place the tool in place and screw on the axle nut behind the tool to prevent slipping but not to tight to prevent the freewheel from spinning off once you do loosen it up. as ridiculous as it sounds, i too have had seemingly easy projects that turn into all day projects. and get ready to really crank down on the tool to loosen that thing up.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,219
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ogbigbird View Post
    ...i too have had seemingly easy projects that turn into all day projects.
    Isn't it amazing how often that happens? I remember starting a "simple" brake shoe replacement on an older car on a Friday evening. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, right?

    Well one star adjuster was frozen (drum brakes, remember those?), then one wheel cylinder started to leak, then the brake hose fitting to the wheel cylinder was so corroded it wouldn't turn and had to be cut off, etc., etc......

    I got the car back on the road the following Tuesday for 5X the original expected cost and after three trips to the parts dealer.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arlington Texas
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to a tutorial on overhauling your hub bearings, also has some other good tutorials.
    http://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

  20. #20
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Isn't it amazing how often that happens? I remember starting a "simple" brake shoe replacement on an older car on a Friday evening. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, right?

    Well one star adjuster was frozen (drum brakes, remember those?), then one wheel cylinder started to leak, then the brake hose fitting to the wheel cylinder was so corroded it wouldn't turn and had to be cut off, etc., etc......

    I got the car back on the road the following Tuesday for 5X the original expected cost and after three trips to the parts dealer.
    Thanks for reminding me why I don't work on my cars anymore, not even the "simple" jobs.
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    angus scotland
    My Bikes
    Grifter BSA 20
    Posts
    600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some bmxs have a simmilar problem.
    but they have thicker 14mm axles so they have locknuts that are to big to fit into the remover.
    but they ussually have broken pawl springs. so just take a hammer and chissel to drift them off.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    yreka, ca
    My Bikes
    like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but its those sort of projects that we learn the most from. most anything can be taken apart and put back together, its just up to me to figure it out correctly, and i have seen my share of all day projects.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •