Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What sifters work with this with this cassette/deraileur

    I'm putting together a bike. I'm using a 7-speed thread-on casette and a shimano 105 deraileur. I don't know what year the deraileur was from, I'd guess mid-90's

    What kind of shifters can I use to get the proper indexing for the back casette? I'd like to go with Shimano STI levers if possible. Would it be possible to make a new pair of Sora 8-spd shifters work?

    Thanks,
    Sean

  2. #2
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get 7 spd. Soras still. You'd want those.

  3. #3
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanywonton View Post
    I'm putting together a bike. I'm using a 7-speed thread-on casette and a shimano 105 deraileur. I don't know what year the deraileur was from, I'd guess mid-90's

    What kind of shifters can I use to get the proper indexing for the back casette? I'd like to go with Shimano STI levers if possible. Would it be possible to make a new pair of Sora 8-spd shifters work?

    Thanks,
    Sean
    Just so you know, a "thread-on" cog cluster is called a freewheel, not a cassette. Just wanted to point that out to avoid future confusion, since the ways of installing/removing/repairing them are completely different

    You can get 7-speed Soras. But if haven't bought the parts yet, it's probably a lot more cost-effective and future-proof to replace the rear hub with a cassette hub and get an 8/9/10 speed cassette instead. Also, cassette hubs have stronger axles, so they're less likely to break.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to low-ball this bike and I already had a new 7-speed freewheel. I know cassettes are better, but that's just the way it is. plus it's an old bike with 126 mm spacing in back. I bought a new pair of 126mm wheels, so that's a done deal.

    What I need is a cost effective shifter to go with this setup. Thanks for any suggestions!

  5. #5
    Slave of the road nuovorecord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx, Falcon, Vitus
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want to go cheap, find a set of 7-spd indexed Shimano downtube shifters.
    "Ride lots." - E. Merckx

  6. #6
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuovorecord View Post
    If you really want to go cheap, find a set of 7-spd indexed Shimano downtube shifters.
    Better yet, go with bar-end shifters! They hardly cost any more than downtube, but they're a whole lot more comfortable and easy to access. I prefer them to STIs for commuting use!
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,456
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre View Post
    Better yet, go with bar-end shifters! They hardly cost any more than downtube, but they're a whole lot more comfortable and easy to access. I prefer them to STIs for commuting use!
    Good advice with one problem. 7-speed bar-ends are hard to find and command a premium price when you do. I just did a quick search on e-Bay for "7-speed shifters" and got about 60 hits but not one set of bar-end shifters. There were several sets of indexed downtube shifters and many MTB shifters but no bar-ends.

  8. #8
    118AHC "Thunderbirds" 2372ighost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    AL.
    My Bikes
    Numerous (wife says to many)
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or RSX100 STI shifters

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pig_Chaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    My Bikes
    '07 Giant OCR3
    Posts
    1,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many bar end shifters can be used in 'friction' mode.

  10. #10
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Good advice with one problem. 7-speed bar-ends are hard to find and command a premium price when you do. I just did a quick search on e-Bay for "7-speed shifters" and got about 60 hits but not one set of bar-end shifters. There were several sets of indexed downtube shifters and many MTB shifters but no bar-ends.
    Well, I personally use Suntour Bar-con *friction* shifters. Some consider them the best bar-ends ever made, $10 at a swap meet

    If you have a good cassette and derailers, friction shifting is easy as pie, and no adjustments ever.

    Also, Sheldon Brown sez that 8-speed bar-ends work pretty well with 7-speed: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html (makes sense since the cog spacing is very close, 5.0 mm for 7-speed vs. 4.8 mm for 8-speed).
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,456
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre View Post
    Well, I personally use Suntour Bar-con *friction* shifters. Some consider them the best bar-ends ever made, $10 at a swap meet

    If you have a good cassette and derailers, friction shifting is easy as pie, and no adjustments ever.

    Also, Sheldon Brown sez that 8-speed bar-ends work pretty well with 7-speed: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html (makes sense since the cog spacing is very close, 5.0 mm for 7-speed vs. 4.8 mm for 8-speed).
    Another possibility is to use the adapters Rivendell sells that let you mount downtube shifters as bar-ends.

  12. #12
    WNG
    WNG is offline
    Spin Forest! Spin! WNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arrid Zone-a
    My Bikes
    I used to have many. And I Will again.
    Posts
    5,903
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want brifters, then no, the 8-spd won't index your 7-spd freewheel. Verify your 105 RD too. Late 80s 105 only indexed up to 7-spd.

    As stated, cheapest route is Shimano 7-spd SIS downtube shifters. I bought a new pair for $6 at Nashbar.

  13. #13
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Another possibility is to use the adapters Rivendell sells that let you mount downtube shifters as bar-ends.
    +1

    For $25 you can convert your downtube shifters to bar-ends: http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=17-068
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks for all the input. I think I'll probably go with bar-ends set to friction unless I find a friend with an old set of 7 speed STI's. I'm not all about the downtube shifters, but we could always start with that for $6 and upgrade later.

  15. #15
    118AHC "Thunderbirds" 2372ighost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    AL.
    My Bikes
    Numerous (wife says to many)
    Posts
    233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •