Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
    Posts
    19,987
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Newbie Brake Lever Question

    I have an older road bike, that the prior owner had installed a flat handlebar on. I would like to update the brake levers. It has older style, caliper brakes: dia-compe Alpha 5000. Will a dia-compe DP7N lever work with these brakes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.

  3. #3
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
    Posts
    19,987
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I will go ahead and install!!

  4. #4
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I should be more specific. You may need a new brake cable with a different end. But that's easy.

  5. #5
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,407
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick glance at the Google search results for " dia-compe DP7N " indicates the lever is meant for newer direct-pull cantilever (Shimano V-brake) or mechanical disc brakes. It will have a different cable pull ratio than your brake caliper requires.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...N+&btnG=Search

  6. #6
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,981
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    A quick glance at the Google search results for " dia-compe DP7N " indicates the lever is meant for newer direct-pull cantilever (Shimano V-brake) or mechanical disc brakes. It will have a different cable pull ratio than your brake caliper requires.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...N+&btnG=Search

    I was thinking the same thing, the bikes I saw with these levers have linear pull brakes. But then again, some levers will apparently work with either type , such as the ones available from Nashbar. How can this be when canti's and linear pulls require a different cable pull ratio?

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20ATB%20Brakes
    Last edited by well biked; 01-17-08 at 03:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,407
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by well biked View Post
    But then again, some levers will apparently work with either type , such as the ones available from Nashbar. How can this be when canti's and linear pulls require a different cable pull ratio?

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20ATB%20Brakes
    Those levers may have two places the cable can anchor to, like the Shimano flat bar road bike shift/brake levers I had.

  8. #8
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,981
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    Those levers may have two places the cable can anchor to, like the Shimano flat bar road bike shift/brake levers I had.

    Makes sense. I've never seen any of those in person, so I don't know. One thing's for sure, the linear pull levers I have definitely don't work well with canti's/calipers, and the canti levers I have don't work well with linear pulls.

    I would say to the OP that there's a good chance those Dia Compe levers won't work well with caliper brakes because they probably pull the wrong amount of cable-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •