Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-08, 03:24 PM   #1
Mr Leon Horsnel
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new cassette do i need new chain length??

hi there
i want to install a new 10 speed cassette a 12-27 instead of a 12-25 What i wondered was do i need a new chain ie does the chain need to be longer for the slightly bigger cassette. if i need a new chain length can i lengthen the old chain or do i need a new chain
thanks
leon
Mr Leon Horsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 03:33 PM   #2
greenwithwheels
Senior Member
 
greenwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois
Bikes: Redline d660, '85 Schwinn Peloton full new ultegra, IRO robroy ss cross bike
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
probably not. since it is just two teeth i bet you derailleur can take it up. If you just shift smartly than it shouldnt matter at all.
greenwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 03:36 PM   #3
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
You should be fine.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 03:51 PM   #4
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are probably fine as mentioned above, but if you want to make sure, put the bike on a rack or upside down and pedal it into the big chainring and then slowly shift into bigger and bigger cogs, maybe sure the rear derailleur arms never straighten completely out. If you get to the largest cog, you're safe. If you can only get to the second largest cog, you shouldn't cross chain while riding.
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 04:44 PM   #5
carpediemracing
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Bikes: Tsunami Bikes
Posts: 14,494
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight View Post
You are probably fine as mentioned above, but if you want to make sure, put the bike on a rack or upside down and pedal it into the big chainring and then slowly shift into bigger and bigger cogs, maybe sure the rear derailleur arms never straighten completely out. If you get to the largest cog, you're safe. If you can only get to the second largest cog, you shouldn't cross chain while riding.
+1

If your chain is barely long enough for the big-big with the 25, it might just rip your rear derailleur off or your rear wheel out in the big big with the 27.

Unscrewing the b-screw might help a bit, if it's not already unscrewed all the way.

good luck,
cdr
carpediemracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 04:49 PM   #6
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
+1

If your chain is barely long enough for the big-big with the 25, it might just rip your rear derailleur off or your rear wheel out in the big big with the 27.
I did just that with a 12-28 cassette. I knew I had exceeded the chainwrap capacity by 3, but I never cross chain. Still, I started from a traffic light and pieces of derailleur flew everywhere and I got to pretend my bike was a scooter all the way home.
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:57 PM   #7
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Unscrewing the b-screw might help a bit, if it's not already unscrewed all the way.
good luck,
cdr
The b-screw position won't make any difference as the rear derailleur's position is immaterial if the chain is too short to cover big-big. When the chain is stretched completely tight, the derailleur is in a straight line and effectively isn't there as far as chain length is concerned. That's why sizing a new chains can be done by wrapping it around the large chainring and largest sprocket but NOT through the rear derailleur.

The difference between the minimum chainlength for a 25T cog and a 27T cog is 1/2 link (1/2") which you can't add. So, if the chain won't allow big-big with the 27T cog, the OP will have to add a full link or 1" of chain.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:58 PM   #8
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Leon Horsnel View Post
hi there
i want to install a new 10 speed cassette a 12-27 instead of a 12-25 What i wondered was do i need a new chain ie does the chain need to be longer for the slightly bigger cassette. if i need a new chain length can i lengthen the old chain or do i need a new chain
thanks
leon
Take the 30s, use the big-big method and size your chain.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 09:41 PM   #9
Calli46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Take the 30s, use the big-big method and size your chain.
Or, even simpler, measure your chain (each link is 0.5 inch) and google to a site with a chain length calculator : you'll need : big chainring nb of teeth, biggest cog nb of teeth, length of chainstay. Only if your chain is too short, you'll have to add some links to it.
Calli46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 09:50 PM   #10
JiveTurkey
Low car diet
 
JiveTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calli46 View Post
Or, even simpler, measure your chain (each link is 0.5 inch) and google to a site with a chain length calculator : you'll need : big chainring nb of teeth, biggest cog nb of teeth, length of chainstay. Only if your chain is too short, you'll have to add some links to it.
Gonna have to agree that operator had the simpler method.
http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 AM.