Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-08, 08:50 PM   #1
Philcycle
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Philcycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fenton, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carbon Forks w/ Aluminum Steerers - better?

Are they better in the sence of headset bearings not eating into the carbon? Any major difference? Thanks!
Philcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:15 PM   #2
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Headset bearings don't eat into any fork material unless they shatter. The bearings run on metal races either in the headset cups or as part of a bearing cartridge and never touch the steerer.

Aluminum steerers are less expensive but heavier albeit they can be lighter than forks with steel steerers. All carbon forks are the lightest but can be very pricey.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:15 PM   #3
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Although carbon can be used to produce very strong items, such as DH handlebars, forks with carbon steerers are focused on saving weight, typically more so than forks with aluminum steerers.

Other than getting a fork rated for the rider's weight, there's not much functional difference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:25 PM   #4
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont think there is any functional difference as the vibration damping happens in the fork blades.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 09:40 PM   #5
mtbikerinpa
Senior Member
 
mtbikerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PA
Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is the reality that an aluminum steerer is far easier to produce, hence cheaper. It can also be more tolerant of ham-fisted mechanics who don't use torque wrenches.
mtbikerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:27 AM   #6
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa View Post
There is the reality that an aluminum steerer is far easier to produce, hence cheaper. It can also be more tolerant of ham-fisted mechanics who don't use torque wrenches.
Al and Cr-Mo steerers will also tolerate starnuts which will ruin most all-carbon steerer. Why all-carbon forks don't come standard with an expansion plug is a mystery to me.

Some carbon steerer forks come with a specific manufacturer-supplied starnut but most don't and using a regular one is sure to damage the fork.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:48 AM   #7
Bobby Lex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Headset bearings don't eat into any fork material unless they shatter. The bearings run on metal races either in the headset cups or as part of a bearing cartridge and never touch the steerer.

Aluminum steerers are less expensive but heavier albeit they can be lighter than forks with steel steerers. All carbon forks are the lightest but can be very pricey.
A little off-topic, but the new Trek that everyone is drooling over uses a CARBON race for the headset bearings. Scares the $hit out of me!

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:44 PM   #8
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
A little off-topic, but the new Trek that everyone is drooling over uses a CARBON race for the headset bearings. Scares the $hit out of me!

Bob
Is it really a "race" or just a seat for a cartridge bearing? If so, then the actual bearing balls run on the steel races built into the cartridge and never touch the carbon itself. I assume it's like integrated headsets in other frames and the bearings don't run on the frame material.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 03:02 PM   #9
Bobby Lex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Is it really a "race" or just a seat for a cartridge bearing? If so, then the actual bearing balls run on the steel races built into the cartridge and never touch the carbon itself. I assume it's like integrated headsets in other frames and the bearings don't run on the frame material.
Here's how Trek describes it (from their website):

"Net Molded bearing race places the 1.5 inch bearing directly on the carbon crown race seat, removing the need for a traditional metal bearing race seat".

I'm not sure what this means exactly. If it is as you describe, it sounds o.k. But if the bearings actually sit and roll on a carbon race inside the headtube......

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 06:42 PM   #10
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
Here's how Trek describes it (from their website):

"Net Molded bearing race places the 1.5 inch bearing directly on the carbon crown race seat, removing the need for a traditional metal bearing race seat".

I'm not sure what this means exactly. If it is as you describe, it sounds o.k. But if the bearings actually sit and roll on a carbon race inside the headtube......

Bob
It is a bit confusing but I still think they use cartridge bearings and the actual races are part of the cartridge.

"Integrated" headsets do just that and the bearing cartridges sit in pockets machined into the headtube and right on the frame material.

"Zero stack" headsets had shallow cups pressed into flairs machined into the head tube and maybe those are the "metal bearing race seats" Trek is referring to.

In both cases the balls don't really touch the frame material itself.

I hope my explanation is right. If not then I certainly agree with your alarm.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 11:54 AM   #11
Joshua A.C. New
Senior Member
 
Joshua A.C. New's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northampton, MA
Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, a "1.5 inch" bearing is not made of 1.5" balls. It's gotta be an integrated headset made of carbon.
Joshua A.C. New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 01:36 PM   #12
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua A.C. New View Post
Yeah, a "1.5 inch" bearing is not made of 1.5" balls. It's gotta be an integrated headset made of carbon.
The integrated headset isn't made of carbon, the lower end of the carbon headtube is moulded as a seat for a 1-1/2" diameter bearing cartridge.

Integrated headsets are basically a pair of bearing cartridges, a crown race, a compression cone and a top cap and compression bolt. The "cups" are molded as part of the headtube and are made of whatever material the headtube is; steel, carbon, Al or Ti.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.