Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member macilvennon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano 10 Speed Set Up Problem. Please Help!

    Hi,
    Please help. I am having serious problems setting up the transmission (Gears) of my Shimano 10 speed group set. My Trek 1500 frame is 3-4 years old and I have recently upgraded every component on the bike as follows:
    - Shimano 105 10 speed STI Levers (2007 Version)
    - Shimano 105 10 speed Rear Mech (2007 Version)
    - Shimano 105 10 speed chain (2007 Version)
    - Shimano Ultegra 10 speed Cassette '12-23' (2007 Version)
    - Shimano Ultegra 10 speed hollowtech 2 Chainset '42-53' (2007 Version)
    - Shimano 10 Speed Dura Ace Front Mech (2007 Version)
    - Shimano 105 10 speed hollowtech 2 bottom bracket (2007 Version)
    - Shimano R550 Wheels

    All parts are new and I have tinkered with the setup for hours on end. However no matter what I do I cannot get a happy medium and the following problems persist:
    - When in 42 chainring at front and 12-13 at rear the chain rubs against the big ring on the front.
    - When in 53 chainring at the front and 23-21 at the rear there is an annoying rubbing noise from the chain catching on the rear mech.

    The rear gears are shifting perfectly. The problems appears to be with the positioning of the chainset. Your suggestions will be very much appreciated as I am on the verge of reverting back to my old 8 speed STI's.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    40 something and counting forensicchemist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    dallas/ft.worth texas
    My Bikes
    Colnago,Tsunami, Kestrel, Univega
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are cross chaining. You should never use the small chain ring and the smallest cogs on your cassette. Likewise for big chain ring and the large cogs of cassette.

    mark

  3. #3
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal cross chain issue with a 10-speed setup. If you are obsessed with using all your gears, get therapy.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member metal_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Orting Wa.
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit
    Posts
    527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
    Normal cross chain issue with a 10-speed setup. If you are obsessed with using all your gears, get therapy.
    Therapy or barend shifters.
    Rivendell Alantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Klein Adroit, Co Motion Big AL

  5. #5
    Junior Member macilvennon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply. I've used 8 speed STI for the last number of years and all the gears work fine. Is it really the case that not all gear ratios will work when using 10 speed?

  6. #6
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not really a matter of wanting to use "all of his gears" most likely.
    cross-chaining is the only way to get his lowest and highest gear ratios.

    [edot] just woke up. wasn't thinking
    Last edited by GlassWolf; 03-03-08 at 12:50 PM.
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    it's not really a matter of wanting to use "all of his gears" most likely.
    cross-chaining is the only way to get his lowest and highest gear ratios.
    Lowest is the small front, largest rear.
    Highest is large front, smallest rear.

    Cross chaining is small front/smallest rear and large front/largest rear, exactly what was described in the original post. There is an attitude about using all the gears on the bike because I paid for them, and no matter what any mechanic will tell them, they get frustrated. Similar to a relative of mine that always has the TV on because he pays for cable.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  8. #8
    Junior Member macilvennon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate,
    I only asked if anyone has came accross this problem before and if they could suggest anything that might fix it. Given that my 8 speed STI's worked fine in all gears I assumed that a 10 speed groupset (An Upgrade!) would do the same. Thanks for your help (or is that sarcasm!).

  9. #9
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,374
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think the cross chaining would be a lot worse between 8 speed and 10... However, I think I have read that the chain rings are slightly closer together for 10 speed than they are for 8 speed (I know the cogs on the cassette are). This would mean that given the same chain ring sizes, a small/small would be more likely to rub, since it has less of a deflection needed to have the chain hit the large chain ring.

    For the other direction (big/big) I see no reason for it to be worse, unless the making the chain narrower makes it noisier in the extreme positions.

    However, I know many people (including my LBS) recommend SRAM over Shimano chains... could this lead to a noise issue?
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #10
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the closer cog spacing in virtually the same space as an 8-speed, yes...a 10-speed group is even less tolerant of cross-chaining and requires keeping a finer eye on adjustments.

    The only fix for cross-chaining is to not do it, which is what Diesel meant by therapy. Sarcastic? Perhaps a bit, but also correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  11. #11
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
    Lowest is the small front, largest rear.
    Highest is large front, smallest rear.

    Cross chaining is small front/smallest rear and large front/largest rear, exactly what was described in the original post. There is an attitude about using all the gears on the bike because I paid for them, and no matter what any mechanic will tell them, they get frustrated. Similar to a relative of mine that always has the TV on because he pays for cable.
    apparently my brain wasn't working when I first woke up, on 2 hours of sleep.. lol
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    7,131
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Given the closer cog spacing in virtually the same space as an 8-speed, yes...a 10-speed group is even less tolerant of cross-chaining and requires keeping a finer eye on adjustments.

    The only fix for cross-chaining is to not do it, which is what Diesel meant by therapy. Sarcastic? Perhaps a bit, but also correct.
    To elaborate- 8 vs 10-
    8 speed uses 3.0MM thick spacers, whereas 10 speeds use a 2.35MM spacer. That's approx. 20% closer.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The geometry of a bike can affect which gearing combinations work without rubbing.

    Sometimes trimming the front derailleur (moving the shifter partway) eliminates rubbing.

    Sometimes tinkering with the setup a little longer, or giving the front derailleur a little bend can do the trick.

    Sometimes you gotta live with what you got.

    Bob
    Be the Bike

  14. #14
    Senior Member Nessism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt steel
    Posts
    2,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is not the spacing in the rear, it's the spacing between the front chain rings.

    To reinforce what the others have said, don't worry about the rubbing.
    Becareful buying/selling bike parts on-line. I learned the hard way. :(

    Good/Bad Trader Listing

  15. #15
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    don't worry about the rubbing.
    Don't ride with the rubbing if possible also, Possible changes if you want to cross-chain without rubbing
    - get a narrower chain
    - minimize the difference between the big and small chain ring

    People advocate against cross chaining, but I'm going to go through this season cross chaining on my 50(big) chain ring, and drop to the 34 (granny gear) only for the hills. I'll see how that goes?

  16. #16
    Junior Member macilvennon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    I wouldn't think the cross chaining would be a lot worse between 8 speed and 10... However, I think I have read that the chain rings are slightly closer together for 10 speed than they are for 8 speed (I know the cogs on the cassette are). This would mean that given the same chain ring sizes, a small/small would be more likely to rub, since it has less of a deflection needed to have the chain hit the large chain ring.

    For the other direction (big/big) I see no reason for it to be worse, unless the making the chain narrower makes it noisier in the extreme positions.

    However, I know many people (including my LBS) recommend SRAM over Shimano chains... could this lead to a noise issue?
    Thanks for your reply. I've used SRAM chains in a 8 speed setup for many years with no problems. The funny thing is that i've gone for a Shimano 10 speed chain this time round. This might be part of the probem and I will consider changing. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •