Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    ekiMsuoicialM iAfr8e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    Trek 6700
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Did I ruin my chain?

    I wanted to clean my chain so I used my multitool to remove it. I soaked it in some solvent took it out and dried it. But when I was taking it out, it came out in two pieces. After draining the solvent I realized there was a master link that I could have used to separate the links instead of the tool. (I feel very stupid about this) I put it back together but where I took the pin out, it feels stiff. It still moves, but definitely not as freely as the rest of the chain. Does this mean the chain is no longer good? That sucks if it does since I just bought this chain not long ago.

    Any help will be appreciated,

    Mike.

  2. #2
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,514
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you replace the link pin or rivet, you need to place that link in the inner position of the chain tool to respace the link and loosen it up. When you set the pin, the chain tool pushes the sideplates together, causing a stiff link. Setting the chain on the inner peg of the chain tool and very gently turning the crank to just slightly move the pin will loosen the link back up. Personally , I don't use the master links. When I shorten a new chain to the right length, I use a regular link to hold the whole works together.

    DEMON

  3. #3
    New to bikeforýms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iAfr8e
    I wanted to clean my chain so I used my multitool to remove it. I soaked it in some solvent took it out and dried it. But when I was taking it out, it came out in two pieces. After draining the solvent I realized there was a master link that I could have used to separate the links instead of the tool. (I feel very stupid about this) I put it back together but where I took the pin out, it feels stiff. It still moves, but definitely not as freely as the rest of the chain. Does this mean the chain is no longer good? That sucks if it does since I just bought this chain not long ago.

    Any help will be appreciated,

    Mike.
    Once you press a pin out you need to get a new pin.

  4. #4
    Just ride :-D rjtokyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tokyo
    My Bikes
    Anchor RFX-8 full carbon climber, Pedal Force QS2 Carbon Monocoque road bike, Bertoni Nuovitalia road bike, Performance X203 cross bike
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Mike. You didn't ruin your chain. Just loosen up the tight link with your chain tool like demoncyclist described. Then you can also twist the chain back and forth a bit by hand at the tight link, and that will also help loosen it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the note of master links...

    I've been riding SRAM Powerlinks for some time and have had zero problems. Chain's don't break if you do regular maintainence, know how to shift, and know how to ride correctly in general.
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  6. #6
    Just ride :-D rjtokyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tokyo
    My Bikes
    Anchor RFX-8 full carbon climber, Pedal Force QS2 Carbon Monocoque road bike, Bertoni Nuovitalia road bike, Performance X203 cross bike
    Posts
    571
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    On the note of master links...

    I've been riding SRAM Powerlinks for some time and have had zero problems. Chain's don't break if you do regular maintainence, know how to shift, and know how to ride correctly in general.
    I'll second you on the SRAM Powerlinks BAC5.2. Work great, no problems. Have them on both road bike and commuter.

  7. #7
    ekiMsuoicialM iAfr8e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    Trek 6700
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fixed.

    Thanks for the tip Demon.

    As far as needing a new pin, since I already put it back together should I still get a new pin or just keep an eye on that link?

    Next time I'll make sure to just use that specific link for removing the chain. I'm glad I didn't ruin my chain.

    Thanks for the help everyone,

    Mike

  8. #8
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't need a new pin unless you completely remove the pin (which you didn't do).
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  9. #9
    New to bikeforýms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    you don't need a new pin unless you completely remove the pin (which you didn't do).

    Hmm......where did you get that info from, are you just assuming? Because in the first post he said he took the pin out.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he removed the pin completely, then he would have made a post wondering why the pin would not go back in.

    You need a new pin because it is impossible to line up the pin correctly to avoid stretching the hole in the plate. New pin's have a peice of metal on them that slides through the whole works, and you break it off after you have everything back together.
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  11. #11
    New to bikeforýms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    If he removed the pin completely, then he would have made a post wondering why the pin would not go back in.

    You need a new pin because it is impossible to line up the pin correctly to avoid stretching the hole in the plate. New pin's have a peice of metal on them that slides through the whole works, and you break it off after you have everything back together.

    Its not impossible to put a pin back in after is is completely out. Its not easy, but its not impossible. A newb would try it too, I know I did way back when. I used parts of other chains to line everything up and pressed it back in. I never knew that new pins had an extra piece of metal that helps guide them into position.

  12. #12
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a rule you should know before you attempt any bike repair.

    If it is to hard to get started in 2 minutes, then you are not doing it properly.

    If it's really difficult to get the completely removed pin back into the chain, then you should know that is not how it is done.

    And you'll stretch out the hole in the plate trying to force the removed pin back into the chain. You would notice immediately that something was not right when your chain broke the first hard crank you took.
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  13. #13
    New to bikeforýms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    There is a rule you should know before you attempt any bike repair.

    1- If it is to hard to get started in 2 minutes, then you are not doing it properly.

    2- If it's really difficult to get the completely removed pin back into the chain, then you should know that is not how it is done.

    3- And you'll stretch out the hole in the plate trying to force the removed pin back into the chain. You would notice immediately that something was not right when your chain broke the first hard crank you took.

    1- Hard to get started in 2 minutes? I dont think I have been under the 2 minute level EVER when I bleed my hayes, and thats the only thing I can think of right now.

    2- I......guess?

    3- I know it stretches out but if you do it "right" its not going to send your leg into the ground on the first hard crank.

  14. #14
    ÷Ų÷Ų÷Ų÷Ų÷Ų Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,946
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One a pin is pushed out, it is best to replace the pin and the link. In the process of pushing a pin through, the hole the pin goes into gets bigger, thus looser, and that results in future chain failures. It's in the manuals.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinMp99
    1- Hard to get started in 2 minutes? I dont think I have been under the 2 minute level EVER when I bleed my hayes, and thats the only thing I can think of right now.

    2- I......guess?

    3- I know it stretches out but if you do it "right" its not going to send your leg into the ground on the first hard crank.
    I am sorry. You are simply wrong.

    Hard to get started. I.E. trying to get the worked out pin, back into the link. If you have a hard time getting started on bleeding hayes, then you have issues. I have my bleed of Hayes down to around a minute and a half from the first turn of the wrench.

    If you do it "right" you are still going to break a chain. So what if it happens on the first or the tenth hard crank? This is NOT the way to do things. You are incorrect. That is it. Period.
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  16. #16
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinMp99
    Once you press a pin out you need to get a new pin.
    Someone's using too many Shi*no chains.

  17. #17
    New to bikeforýms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    I am sorry. You are simply wrong.

    Hard to get started. I.E. trying to get the worked out pin, back into the link. If you have a hard time getting started on bleeding hayes, then you have issues. I have my bleed of Hayes down to around a minute and a half from the first turn of the wrench.

    If you do it "right" you are still going to break a chain. So what if it happens on the first or the tenth hard crank? This is NOT the way to do things. You are incorrect. That is it. Period.
    So start crying alright? I pressed a pin that I pushed all the way out maybe once, and it was so long ago I dont even remember what happend. Bleeding hayes I dont have a perfect system of doing it (like how to attach the catch bottle to the bars). I bleed them once every while and I never have a catch cup that is a "clamp on the bars and go" type thing so I am always trying to rig up something. I have issues. You should receive a medal for bleeding them in a minute, congrats. I know how to put a damn chain together and I AM NOT TRYING TO TELL PEOPLE TO PUSH A USED PIN BACK IN. So why am I incorrect? Its like I am incorrect about nothing. Cool.

    Oh yea, you are incorrect, thats it, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    Someone's using too many Shi*no chains.
    Your right, but I like them. I havent had any problems with them other than wearing one out after a year of being on a 9 speed 32T front ring freeride bike.
    Last edited by KleinMp99; 10-20-03 at 05:40 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member mindbogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    933
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i havnt had any trouble either with my HG chain..stil lrunning smoothly after 2 years.
    00' Cannondale R1000
    01' Devinci Chilipepper

    When sh*t hits the fan, everything I'm not, made me everything I am.

  19. #19
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinMp99
    So start crying alright? I pressed a pin that I pushed all the way out maybe once, and it was so long ago I dont even remember what happend. Bleeding hayes I dont have a perfect system of doing it (like how to attach the catch bottle to the bars). I bleed them once every while and I never have a catch cup that is a "clamp on the bars and go" type thing so I am always trying to rig up something. I have issues. You should receive a medal for bleeding them in a minute, congrats. I know how to put a damn chain together and I AM NOT TRYING TO TELL PEOPLE TO PUSH A USED PIN BACK IN. So why am I incorrect? Its like I am incorrect about nothing. Cool.

    Oh yea, you are incorrect, thats it, period.
    You stated that it was possible to re-insert a used pin, and have the chain hold up. That is where you are incorrect. Plain and simple. I never said you recomended doing this, but simply the fact that you said it would last. It won't. If it does, it is because the pin is safely seated in the other plate and you are putting all of the stress on the pin and that plate. The plate you forced the pin through will have fallen off the pin. I'm sure you can get lucky and have it last long enough to think it was age that broke the chain, but don't count on it.

    For the catch bottle, Zip Tie a 20oz soda bottle to the bar. I've been bleeding brakes for almost 3 years now. It becomes methodic after that long.

    I'm sorry you think I am incorrect. Sorry you feel this way.
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  20. #20
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    You stated that it was possible to re-insert a used pin, and have the chain hold up.
    Can't believe I'm doing this.....

    Klein didn't say that it would hold up he said:

    Posted by KleinMp99 - 10-19-03 at 10:34 PM
    Its not impossible to put a pin back in after is is completely out. Its not easy, but its not impossible. A newb would try it too, I know I did way back when. I used parts of other chains to line everything up and pressed it back in. I never knew that new pins had an extra piece of metal that helps guide them into position.



  21. #21
    New to bikeforýms.net
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    2,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    Can't believe I'm doing this.....

    It just shows that we are becoming friends

  22. #22
    Senior Member BAC5.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying it is OK to do (which, by that post, makes the reader think that since it is possible, then it is OK. After all, newbies will listen to a LOT of opinions) is the same as saying it held up. Describing how he did it further supports this point.
    2003 Banshee Scream. Banshee Pride!

  23. #23
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible to stick a M-80 up a dog's butt too, but that doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. Newbies tend to shy away from the difficult unless they're really stupid (happens) or backed into a corner with no other (percieved) options. Common sense would dictate (to most) that if a pin is that ^*%^(5 hard to reinsert that another option might be needed.

  24. #24
    ekiMsuoicialM iAfr8e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    Trek 6700
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeesh! I didnít mean to stir up all this commotion about a silly chain. I unfortunately did push the pin all the way out but was able to get it back in. I know it's not the smartest thing to ride my bike with the chain that way so I am just gonna go out and buy another. Hey, live and learn right?

  25. #25
    ÷Ų÷Ų÷Ų÷Ų÷Ų Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,946
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iAfr8e
    Jeesh! I didnít mean to stir up all this commotion about a silly chain. I unfortunately did push the pin all the way out but was able to get it back in. I know it's not the smartest thing to ride my bike with the chain that way so I am just gonna go out and buy another. Hey, live and learn right?
    Exactly.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •