Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-08, 10:35 AM   #1
grall1126
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shimano105 late 80's-early 90's, Need Help

I removed my front chainring (42) and the 53 and need to replace the chainrings. This bike is used in the early spring due to the weather. I would like to know if anyone has any info on where I could purchase new chainrings and hopefully the spacing will be the same. I would like to make the inner a 39 tooth since the bike is an old ALAN frame with a 6 sprocket freewheel. I also have to buy a new derailler pulley wheel, chain, and some cables. Any recommendations on purchases is greatly appreciated.

thanks
grall1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 10:37 AM   #2
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any bike store will have the correct chainrings for that crankset.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 11:07 AM   #3
GlassWolf
cat person
 
GlassWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N.W. Michigan
Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can pick up Biopace II chainrings on eBay for $10 each or so.
130mm BCD for the 105 crank if I'm not mistaken. Easily measured to be sure.
As for cables, chain etc, Nashbar has generics pretty cheap.
GlassWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 11:55 AM   #4
Barabaika
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aebike, JensonUsa and similar have tons of bike parts.
Check the chainrings by Sugino.
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=CR1539

Don't forget to measure the Chainring BCD first:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/tech_bol...e_diameter.php
Barabaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:13 PM   #5
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando
 
Sirrus Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
Posts: 2,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grall1126 View Post
I removed my front chainring (42) and the 53 and need to replace the chainrings. This bike is used in the early spring due to the weather. I would like to know if anyone has any info on where I could purchase new chainrings and hopefully the spacing will be the same. I would like to make the inner a 39 tooth since the bike is an old ALAN frame with a 6 sprocket freewheel. I also have to buy a new derailler pulley wheel, chain, and some cables. Any recommendations on purchases is greatly appreciated.

thanks
You can even ditch the biopace for round rings. I was never able to spin biopace smoothly; consequently, a buddy of mine had some campy round rings. (he went to a 53 outer) that he gave me and I've been using ever since..
Sirrus Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 08:39 PM   #6
roadbuzz
Just ride.
 
roadbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: C-ville, Va
Bikes:
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Second GrassWolfs advice. Biopace or not, be sure to check the BCD before purchasing.

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/tech_bol...e_diameter.php

http://www.branfordbike.com/chains/chains1.html
(scroll down to Chain Ring measurements made easy...)
roadbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 08:44 PM   #7
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider View Post
You can even ditch the biopace for round rings. I was never able to spin biopace smoothly; consequently, a buddy of mine had some campy round rings. (he went to a 53 outer) that he gave me and I've been using ever since..
How did you fit Campy chainrings (135 mm bcd) to a Shimano crank (130 mm bcd)?
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 11:40 AM   #8
Barabaika
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
How did you fit Campy chainrings (135 mm bcd) to a Shimano crank (130 mm bcd)?
That's easy. His Biopace had 110mm BCD,
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2332
and the Campy chainrings were from a compact crankset.
Barabaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 04:23 PM   #9
ultraman6970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good answer
ultraman6970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 04:28 PM   #10
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barabaika View Post
That's easy. His Biopace had 110mm BCD,
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2332
and the Campy chainrings were from a compact crankset.
Even that may not explain it. Campy's compact chainrings had a proprietary bcd with one of the bolts off-set from the standard 110 mm bcd to keep you from using "inferior" chainrings on a Campy crank.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 07:38 PM   #11
MrCjolsen
Senior Member
 
MrCjolsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Davis CA
Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion
Posts: 3,957
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If it was 42 and 53 tooth rings, I'm almost certain it was 130bcd. Yes you can use a 39. It does not have to be biospace.
MrCjolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:39 PM   #12
Barabaika
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
Even that may not explain it. Campy's compact chainrings had a proprietary bcd with one of the bolts off-set from the standard 110 mm bcd to keep you from using "inferior" chainrings on a Campy crank.
The aluminum Campagnolo compact cranksets use standard 100mm chain rings, the plastic ones is a different topic.
Barabaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.