Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2
    Posts
    914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Signs of chain stretch?

    After 2500 miles on the same chain I would have thought it to be time to replace it, but the store measured and said it was fine. However, I have noticed that when pushing a higher gear either up hills or on flats it sometimes skips a cog tooth. I donít know if thatís actually whatís happening, but while pedaling my leg jerks forward then resumes a normal spin. Could this be a sign of a stretched chain, or just something else?

  2. #2
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What has happened to me, when chains skip..A link is sticking and when it releases, you expereince the skip..I do not like that..Uncomfortable...Clean your chain, re-lube it..Find that link that is not flexible.Free it up...Bend it until it is freed.
    As to chain wear..I do not push it to the limit..Get a chain tool or just measure it..Think it is 12 links must be 12 inches, or else it is stretched.? I personally do not push a chain beyond 3.000 miles..Not worth it.. I have seen people crash from links becoming worn and the chain breaking.Not fun... YOu can fall on you arse.3,000 miles, I suspect links become weak..
    Certainly pushing a chain and warping your cog is not worth it.. Destroys the teeth and you have to replace the rear cog.That is far more expensive. And preventive maintenance. Part of my plan is to keep the chain new. I use some of my bikes for commuting to work.. Do not need the added grief of potentially needing to replace a chain in route..My bike saves me enough in gas, don't need to freet about how long a chain is going to last.

  3. #3
    suitcase of courage VegasCyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SoCal (ex Las Vegas, NV)
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    What has happened to me, when chains skip..A link is sticking and when it releases, you expereince the skip..I do not like that..Uncomfortable...Clean your chain, re-lube it..Find that link that is not flexible.Free it up...Bend it until it is freed.
    As to chain wear..I do not push it to the limit..Get a chain tool or just measure it..Think it is 12 links must be 12 inches, or else it is stretched.? I personally do not push a chain beyond 3.000 miles..Not worth it.. I have seen people crash from links becoming worn and the chain breaking.Not fun... YOu can fall on you arse.3,000 miles, I suspect links become weak..
    Certainly pushing a chain and warping your cog is not worth it.. Destroys the teeth and you have to replace the rear cog.That is far more expensive. And preventive maintenance. Part of my plan is to keep the chain new. I use some of my bikes for commuting to work.. Do not need the added grief of potentially needing to replace a chain in route..My bike saves me enough in gas, don't need to freet about how long a chain is going to last.

    I would have to agree here, I broke a chain with only 2k miles on it, (luckily I stayed upright) but it was a really scary event. Anyhow chains are relatively cheap so I would just get a new one.
    -VegasCyclist
    "Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.... cost two dollars and it burned like hell...."
    Register!

  4. #4
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    yes,new chains break.

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasCyclist
    I would have to agree here, I broke a chain with only 2k miles on it, (luckily I stayed upright) but it was a really scary event. Anyhow chains are relatively cheap so I would just get a new one.
    Yes, Vegas.. I recall once riding with a cycling friend..We were about on a descent before it happened.. Should it happen while climbing, it could hurt. He was on flat land and he did not loose it.. He had like two rides on the chain..Why does that happen..Think chances greater at 3,500 miles wear over brand new? ....I tend not to get these chains with this hyper stretch removal link, (for removal when cleaning- think Shimano). I don't keep chains that long, to want to take off and clean. I would rather change them out at 3,000 miles. Think this removal link might make them weaker?? I fear so.
    ps--- Vegas riders..I am thinking of doing the "X Ride" by Bike the West, up about area 51- the Rachel, NV area.Great cycling area.? Anyone interested.?
    As they say, 'Beam me up Scotty, ' No Intelligent life down here.' As long as my Klein goes along too. They do have asphalt up there? Those who do not know, 'Area 51' is inhabited by Aliens, and unidentified space craft..

  5. #5
    60mph in the 42 ring! Dave Stohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Niagara Frontier, NY
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be that the chain is OK, while the cogs are worn. Are the cogs older than the chain? Are they made of soft metal (such as Dura Ace cogs often are)? If the answer is "yes" to either, then chances are the cogs are worn.
    Cycling Addict
    **************
    (techinical questions gladly answered via AIM)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Giant TCR Composite 2
    Posts
    914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cogs are just as old as the chain. Oddly enough it didn't happen on yesterday's ride in the usual spots, so I'll keep an eye out for the gearing I'm in and exactly what I'm doing when it happens.

  7. #7
    suitcase of courage VegasCyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SoCal (ex Las Vegas, NV)
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    I would rather change them out at 3,000 miles. Think this removal link might make them weaker?? I fear so.
    my boss at the shop I work at thinks so, he won't even let me install them on any customers bike unless they specifically ask for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    ps--- Vegas riders..I am thinking of doing the "X Ride" by Bike the West, up about area 51- the Rachel, NV area.Great cycling area.? Anyone interested.? As they say, 'Beam me up Scotty, ' No Intelligent life down here.' As long as my Klein goes along too. They do have asphalt up there? Those who do not know, 'Area 51' is inhabited by Aliens, and unidentified space craft..

    I would really like to do this ride, (last year I had a test in school the following monday so no go) but this time I think I will try to make it out there. One small note however, the only place to stay out there is the little alie' Inn which doesn't have many rooms, so for me I will probably bring my tent and camp out there
    -VegasCyclist
    "Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.... cost two dollars and it burned like hell...."
    Register!

  8. #8
    JRA...
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    philly
    My Bikes
    trek 520 & 736, DeRosa Professional, Fuji Professional, Raleigh International 3-speed, Saronni (any info people?), Humber 3-speed, Raleigh Sports, Carlton Grand Prix coming soon!
    Posts
    839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it skips in the harder gears (esp. 11t or 12t) the cogs are probably worn.

  9. #9
    Kev
    Kev is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you would be hard pressed to prove that a masterlink/removeable link is a weak point in the chain. They have proven themselves over time, and forcing a pin into a spot that a another pin was previously forced out of, I feel is weaker then using a link that is specificaly designed and not weaked but force to be put into a chain.

  10. #10
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    the broken chain I experienced was with the removable link.

    [QUOTE=VegasCyclist]my boss at the shop I work at thinks so, he won't even let me install them on any customers bike unless they specifically ask for it.




    I would really like to do this ride, (last year I had a test in school the following monday so no go) but this time I think I will try to make it out there. One small note however, the only place to stay out there is the little alie' Inn which doesn't have many rooms, so for me I will probably bring my tent and camp out there [/QUOTE



    Appreciate knowing your boss agrees with my fear. I usually have Srams put on.Think they are without the link. My cycling friend was really lucky.. We had just completed a major climb....Think they were Shimano's and had the link.
    . Regards to the X Ride. The organizer treats his riders just great. Sounds like a fun ride. I just discovered it was not overnight and continuing on the following day.. That is sort of disappointing. I like to feel like I have been on a tour.
    Heah,I see you are really committed to cycling... Probably not a life long goal because we all need careers that give us the good life.. But you commute by bike, race, tour, and now work on bikes. You are really living cycling. Great to surround your life with what you like to do..
    I did Death Valley last year ,Will see about The X Ride. May, not too hot yet.? Not many other motels within reasonable driving distances.? ......Probably go out with my wife and a fellow cyclists' extended family. Their kids probably enjoy digging through the old ghost towns.

  11. #11
    suitcase of courage VegasCyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    SoCal (ex Las Vegas, NV)
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot
    Regards to the X Ride. The organizer treats his riders just great. Sounds like a fun ride. I just discovered it was not overnight and continuing on the following day.. That is sort of disappointing. I like to feel like I have been on a tour. Heah,I see you are really committed to cycling... Probably not a life long goal because we all need careers that give us the good life.. But you commute by bike, race, tour, and now work on bikes. You are really living cycling. Great to surround your life with what you like to do..
    I did Death Valley last year ,Will see about The X Ride. May, not too hot yet.? Not many other motels within reasonable driving distances.? ......Probably go out with my wife and a fellow cyclists' extended family. Their kids probably enjoy digging through the old ghost towns.
    well the ride (at least last year) started from Rachael, Nevada which is the only town within 90 miles of anything else. so I think it's the only place to stay as rural nevada towns are pretty small.... but camping is always fun

    http://www.bikethewest.com/ still has only this year's ride info out there, but it might give you some more insight on the ride
    -VegasCyclist
    "Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.... cost two dollars and it burned like hell...."
    Register!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •