Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-08, 11:40 PM   #1
bellweatherman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will 8 speed Shimano shifters work with non 8-speed Shimano Deraillers?

I have some old 8 speed shifters, and a few 8 speed wheelsets. The shifters are 600 Ultegra bar ends, I think. I need to order a new derailler and I was wondering if a newer 9 speed or 10 speed Ultegra derailler would work? Anyone have any idea? I'd still like to use my old 8-speed wheelsets. thanks.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 12:09 AM   #2
Cadfael
Senior Member
 
Cadfael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assuming the deraillier can take up any chain slack, I cannot see why not? If your shifters match the spacing between the rear cogs then the deraillier movement will be governed by your shifters. You may have to radically set the H & L limiting screws... and it could be you may not have enough to play with.

But I have to be honest, I am just taking a stab, there may be a few other members more knowledgeable than I this regard.
Cadfael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 12:18 AM   #3
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, it will be fine. All Shimano rear derailers have the same ratio of cable pull to movement, except some older Dura-ace. The amount of movement per shift is dependent on the shifters, not the derailer.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 06:22 PM   #4
bellweatherman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
Yes, it will be fine. All Shimano rear derailers have the same ratio of cable pull to movement, except some older Dura-ace. The amount of movement per shift is dependent on the shifters, not the derailer.

Cool! So, if I have an Ultegra 10 speed derailler... I can use it in an 8-speed system so long as I have 8-speed shifters and an 8-speed cassette? Will there be any extra clicks? And do I have to route the cable to an alternative position or anything weird?
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 06:30 PM   #5
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellweatherman View Post
Cool! So, if I have an Ultegra 10 speed derailler... I can use it in an 8-speed system so long as I have 8-speed shifters and an 8-speed cassette? Will there be any extra clicks? And do I have to route the cable to an alternative position or anything weird?
No. As previously posted, the shifter controls the cable, not the derailer.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 12:27 AM   #6
bellweatherman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
No. As previously posted, the shifter controls the cable, not the derailer.

Why specifically are you, DieselDan, saying it won't work? As I understood it from the above info, the shifter dictates how many speeds the system has because it controls the cable. Correct me, if I am wrong on that. Perhaps DieselDan misunderstood what I am trying to do. I need to buy a new 10 speed derailler, but use it as if it is an 8-speed. My bike is an 8-speed system with 8 speed shifters and 8 speed cassette. So, I want to buy a 10 speed derailler, but I don't necessarily want a 10-speed system. In fact, I want to use the new derailler and maintain the 8 speed system that I have...

10 speed Ultegra Rear Derailler + 8 speed Ultegra Bar End Shifters + 8 speed cassette = 8 speed system. Correct? I asked earlier if this would work to keep me at 8 speeds. SweetLou indicated that it would work. DieselDan, indicated no that it would not work. Will it work or not?
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 01:09 AM   #7
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You misunderstood DieselDan. He is saying that you won't have extra clicks, because the shifter decides the clicks, not the derailer, you don't need to do an alternative routing, that is only with the older Dura-ace ones, that you won't have to do anything weird. As long as you aren't using the older Dura-ace shifters or derailers, you can use any Shimano rear shifter with any Shimano rear derailer and not have a problem, they work the same.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 07:31 AM   #8
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're making this more difficult then needed, just hook it all up together and it will work. There will be no extra clicks or alternative cable routing.

Troll.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 10:46 AM   #9
bellweatherman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
You're making this more difficult then needed, just hook it all up together and it will work. There will be no extra clicks or alternative cable routing.

Troll.
Troll? Hey, Dan, thanks alot dickhead.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 10:47 AM   #10
bellweatherman
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bellweatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin
Bikes: Too many to count
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
You misunderstood DieselDan. He is saying that you won't have extra clicks, because the shifter decides the clicks, not the derailer, you don't need to do an alternative routing, that is only with the older Dura-ace ones, that you won't have to do anything weird. As long as you aren't using the older Dura-ace shifters or derailers, you can use any Shimano rear shifter with any Shimano rear derailer and not have a problem, they work the same.

Thanks very much for the nice explanation. Much appreciated.
bellweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.