Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco East Bay Area
Bikes: Trek, Klein, Vintage Specialized
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Compact crank changeout techie questions
I currently have a 2001 Trek 5200 (ultegra 6500) with the stock cranks.
I am thinking about upgrading to a newer compact double from Shimano. I found a very lightly used one locally that will save me 50% on the package (it includes a dura ace BB and Ultegra SL crankset).
I undertand that I will need to replace the bottom bracket assembly when I do this so I have some questions.
1. If I replace the BB in a carbon bike is refacing required?
2. Are there things that I need to think about as I am getting parts together for this?
3. Are there any trek specific issues to think about?
4. Is this a do it yourself or LBS job?
5. Anything else to keep in mind?