Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Latvian in Seattle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I wrong about what chain to use?
I'm hoping to use as many parts already on hand as possible in building a new lower-end MTB; cost is an issue here. Do I have the drivetrain figured out correctly?
I have on hand:
- Mavic Crossland rear wheel (8-9 speed freehub) w/4.5mm spacer + 7-speed Shimano 13-30 cassette.
- Shimano Deore LX RD-M581-SGS Rear Derailleur (8-9 speed compatible)
- SRAM X0 Front Derailleur (44/32/22T 9 Speed compatible)
- Shimano HG-70 6/7/8-speed chain
- SRAM HST 7-speed grip shifters
I am planning to buy:
- Shimano FC-M443 Crankset w/Bottom Bracket (9-speed chain compatible)
I'm happy with the 7-speed cassette for now. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the front derailer and chainrings may have minor spacing width issues with a 6/7/8-speed chain, so I should plan on buying a 9-speed chain instead and not use my current chain, right? Also, if there's a better crankset/BB for the same or lower price, please feel free to make suggestions.