Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Where can I get an speed freewheel?

    (sorry, left out "8" in title.. don't know how to edit title)

    I can't find an 8 speed freewheel anywhere. I need something with an 11 teeth count in the smallest ring. Anyone know? Shimano used to make one a couple of years ago, but I can't find it anymore.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putnam, CT
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt if anybody ever made an 8 speed freewheel with a 11t cog. There was a Shimano 7 speed freewheel made in 11-28t and 11-34t that seems to be impossible to get now? For 8 speed freewheels look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#8 . Are you sure it isn't a freehub w/cassette? They sell a 11-30t and 11-32t 8 speed cassette. Worst case you can buy a new wheel w/ 8 or 9 speed freehub for $60 (and up) and add the cassette of your choice. You might have to also change your shifter and/or derailer if the spacing is different from what you have now?
    Last edited by RoadRanger; 06-14-08 at 07:57 PM.

  3. #3
    kellyjdrummer
    Guest
    I think "cassette" is what you are seeking. "Free Hub" is what it mounts to.

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    I doubt if anybody ever made an 8 speed freewheel with a 11t cog. There was a Shimano 7 speed freewheel made in 11-28t and 11-34t that seems to be impossible to get now? For 8 speed freewheels look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#8 . Are you sure it isn't a freehub w/cassette? They sell a 11-30t and 11-32t 8 speed cassette. Worst case you can buy a new wheel w/ 8 or 9 speed freehub for $60 (and up) and add the cassette of your choice. You might have to also change your shifter and/or derailer if the spacing is different from what you have now?
    11-34t 7 speed freewheels are a dime a dozen. So called "megarange", usually found on most department store **** bikes.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putnam, CT
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    11-34t 7 speed freewheels are a dime a dozen. So called "megarange", usually found on most department store **** bikes.
    Reference please? Please tell me where to send my .833 cents for one !
    All the ones I've seen are 13or14-34t like the **** DPN that came on my wife's new 7 speed. AFAIK the only ones that started with an 11t are the two (no longer available?) Shimano "Mega 7" models talked about here: http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7/ . I just had a custom 13-15-17-20-24-28-34T built on a 14t-34t shimano mega body that is still available, I'd LOVE to get a mega 11-34 body to change into an evenly spaced 11-34t!
    Last edited by RoadRanger; 06-14-08 at 09:06 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gaseous Cloud around Uranus
    Posts
    3,399
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find 7 speed ones,I got one for my bike about a month ago 11-34 megarange.You really don't want an 8 speed one,even if you could find one,they have trouble bending/breaking axles,too much overhang.
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    Reference please? Please tell me where to send my .833 cents for one !
    All the ones I've seen are 13or14-34t like the **** DPN that came on my wife's new 7 speed. AFAIK the only ones that started with an 11t are the two (no longer available?) Shimano "Mega 7" models talked about here: http://sheldonbrown.com/mega7/ . I just had a custom 13-15-17-20-24-28-34T built on a 14t-34t shimano mega body that is still available, I'd LOVE to get a mega 11-34 body to change into an evenly spaced 11-34t!
    http://www.spokescycles.net/product/...iple_Freewheel
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putnam, CT
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one's in the UK and says:
    "Availability: Please contact for availability" and the order button is greyed out .
    Oh, and they wanted more than your .833 cents anyways .
    Last edited by RoadRanger; 06-14-08 at 09:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putnam, CT
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
    You can find 7 speed ones,I got one for my bike about a month ago 11-34 megarange.
    Where did you get yours? There might be some left in Limey or Kangaroo land but I've been unable to locate one in the US .

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    I doubt if anybody ever made an 8 speed freewheel with a 11t cog. There was a Shimano 7 speed freewheel made in 11-28t and 11-34t that seems to be impossible to get now? For 8 speed freewheels look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#8 . Are you sure it isn't a freehub w/cassette? They sell a 11-30t and 11-32t 8 speed cassette. Worst case you can buy a new wheel w/ 8 or 9 speed freehub for $60 (and up) and add the cassette of your choice. You might have to also change your shifter and/or derailer if the spacing is different from what you have now?
    Yes, it's definitely a freewheel I need. It needs to screw onto the hub. I can't change wheels, because it's for an electric wheel hub.

    That 7 speed looks like a good substitution, but I don't see a way to order it. I believe the spacing between a 7 and 8 speed are similar enough so that you can still use the 8 speed shifter.
    Last edited by adamtki; 06-16-08 at 01:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    I doubt if anybody ever made an 8 speed freewheel with a 11t cog. There was a Shimano 7 speed freewheel made in 11-28t and 11-34t that seems to be impossible to get now? For 8 speed freewheels look at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#8 . Are you sure it isn't a freehub w/cassette? They sell a 11-30t and 11-32t 8 speed cassette. Worst case you can buy a new wheel w/ 8 or 9 speed freehub for $60 (and up) and add the cassette of your choice. You might have to also change your shifter and/or derailer if the spacing is different from what you have now?
    By the way, you're right about one not existing. I was thinking about the 7 speed that Shimano had. So I need to correct myself and state that I've seen an 8 speed freewheel before.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Putnam, CT
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to read the post immediately above yours here:
    http://visforvoltage.org/forum/bicyc...-pedelecs/1796

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My Bikes
    Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS
    Posts
    635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    You might want to read the post immediately above yours here:
    http://visforvoltage.org/forum/bicyc...-pedelecs/1796
    I already saw that of course. They're selling the megarange version which I don't want.

    I contacted Harry Cyclery and they said Shimano US is out of stock on the 11-28 7 speed freewheel but should have them in 1-2 months.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •