Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    mac
    mac is offline
    They see me rollin' mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale T2000
    Posts
    785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    rear derailleur shifts/slips gears, then front, finally broke chain, walked home :-(

    Very rarely have I noticed any shifting/slipping of my derailleurs. However, on my 2nd to last ride, when I was pedaling hard, especially up a mountain, I noticed my rear derailleur kept shifting/slipping. I was so bad I took my bike in for a tune-up.

    On my last ride this morning (commute to work), the rear derailler continued to shift/slip on the flats and as I was climbing a mountain the front derailler started to shift/slip as well. Finally, the chain snapped off - I broke one of the links! So I had a 1+ hour walk home to try to think of what the problem would be.

    I took it back to the bike shop and they replaced the chain. They suspect that one or more gears/teeth on my rear cassette might be worn. I'm not sure how that would explain the front derailler slipping this morning. If I have time this evening, I'll take my bike for a test ride to see if the new chain fixed my problem or not.

    Any suggestions from you guys what it might be?

    • 2005 Cannondale T2000 Touring Bike
    • 2,800+ miles on same chain before it snapped
    • total bike weight ~ 50lbs
    • me < 200 lbs

  2. #2
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm not sure how that would explain the front derailler slipping this morning. If I have time this evening, I'll take my bike for a test ride to see if the new chain fixed my problem or not.

    Any suggestions from you guys what it might be?[/LIST]
    I'd vote the old chain had a jacked-up link. This link was causing the mis-shifts and finally broke.

    Now, I'm not too sure what a jacked up link might be. Perhaps a damaged side plate, caused by some sort of impact to it (say chain was in big ring, and you smacked a rock) which damaged a link. Or a pin started working itself out (the pin could catch on parts and cause mis-shifts) and finally broke.

    I carry a SRAM Powerlink in my Camelbak to repair busted links on chains. I've replaced three links on trail (all other riders) in my many years of riding.

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Very rarely have I noticed any shifting/slipping of my derailleurs. However, on my 2nd to last ride, when I was pedaling hard, especially up a mountain, I noticed my rear derailleur kept shifting/slipping. I was so bad I took my bike in for a tune-up.

    On my last ride this morning (commute to work), the rear derailler continued to shift/slip on the flats and as I was climbing a mountain the front derailler started to shift/slip as well. Finally, the chain snapped off - I broke one of the links! So I had a 1+ hour walk home to try to think of what the problem would be.

    I took it back to the bike shop and they replaced the chain. They suspect that one or more gears/teeth on my rear cassette might be worn. I'm not sure how that would explain the front derailler slipping this morning. If I have time this evening, I'll take my bike for a test ride to see if the new chain fixed my problem or not.

    Any suggestions from you guys what it might be?

    • 2005 Cannondale T2000 Touring Bike
    • 2,800+ miles on same chain before it snapped
    • total bike weight ~ 50lbs
    • me < 200 lbs
    At your weight and your mileage, probably chain wear. Did you keep the chain to measure for wear? The more worn a chain is the more likely it is to break under load.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    mac
    mac is offline
    They see me rollin' mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale T2000
    Posts
    785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    At your weight and your mileage, probably chain wear. Did you keep the chain to measure for wear? The more worn a chain is the more likely it is to break under load.
    No, I had my LBS dispose of it. Well I went for a 30-mile ride this evening around the mountains and I think it was just the chain. Only once did I have some gears shift/slip, but I adjusted the cable tension on-the-fly and it went away. Sheesh, I'm glad I wasn't on tour in the middle of nowhere when my chain snapped. How can you tell when your chain is going bad? Once I started having shifting problems the chain snapped within 20 miles.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,517
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess would also be a damaged or stiff link.
    Maybe the chain had already lost one sideplate and was warning you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •