Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-08, 08:08 PM   #1
Jay D
Human Powered Vehiclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes:
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ideal fender size for 28c tires?

I just bought a Specialized Sirrus Sport to use as a commuter bicycle. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest I needed a bike that could fit full fenders because of our rainy weather.

The bike has 28c tires and the attachments readily available on the bike to mount the fenders, but what fenders should I get? Planet Bike has fenders that fit UP TO 28c tires, but am I pushing it by getting too narrow of fenders and risking getting wet while riding? But at the same time I don't want my bike to look goofy with over sized fenders that might not fit with the bike's brakes.

Any advice?
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:12 PM   #2
Torchy McFlux
Senior Member
 
Torchy McFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Bikes: NOYB
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most hybrid fenders are designed for 35 to 45c tire widths.
If I were you, I'd just put the Planet Bike ones on. The fit will be snug, but they will work fine.
Torchy McFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:16 PM   #3
Tabor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Surly Pacer with full Ultegra
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plant Bike makes some fenders that will fit and look right. I got mine at my LBS. The SKS 35 fenders will also work.
Tabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:19 PM   #4
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,121
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I've got 25c tires on my bikes and installed the 40mm Gilles Berthoud stainless fenders. I'm certain they'd accommodate 28c.

__________________
- Stan
I'm with her.
Scooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:05 PM   #5
heyjaffy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
I've got 25c tires on my bikes and installed the 40mm Gilles Berthoud stainless fenders. I'm certain they'd accommodate 28c.

Sorry for the hijack/OT - Can you warn us next time you're going to post such a hot bike so I can get a bib or something? I'm cleaning drool of the keyboard now.
__________________
bike good
heyjaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:11 PM   #6
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,121
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjaffy View Post
Sorry for the hijack/OT - Can you warn us next time you're going to post such a hot bike so I can get a bib or something? I'm cleaning drool of the keyboard now.
Thank you!
__________________
- Stan
I'm with her.
Scooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:15 PM   #7
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
I just bought a Specialized Sirrus Sport to use as a commuter bicycle. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest I needed a bike that could fit full fenders because of our rainy weather.

The bike has 28c tires and the attachments readily available on the bike to mount the fenders, but what fenders should I get? Planet Bike has fenders that fit UP TO 28c tires, but am I pushing it by getting too narrow of fenders and risking getting wet while riding? But at the same time I don't want my bike to look goofy with over sized fenders that might not fit with the bike's brakes.

Any advice?
Get ones that are wide enough, which is wider than your tire by at least 5mm. What's the point of having fenders if they're so narrow, they might as well not be there? You already have a dorky bike for having fenders, so there's no point really.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:30 PM   #8
Throwmeabone
Senior Member
 
Throwmeabone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the Planet Bike Cascadia Hybrid/Touring Fenders for my 28c tires. Those are 45 mm wide.
Throwmeabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:33 PM   #9
Torchy McFlux
Senior Member
 
Torchy McFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Bikes: NOYB
Posts: 1,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
You already have a dorky bike for having fenders, so there's no point really.
Only a rider from Toronto would say that.
Torchy McFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.