Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Breaking a Krypto U-Lock??

    I lost the key to my Kryptonite U-lock and my bike is unridable until I can break it free. Does anyone know how I can break open one of these ? I'm thinking a mallet and some brute force or do I need a locksmith?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nycycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Taylorsville Utah
    My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need is a pal who is a mechanic or go to tool rental and get a portable grinder with a cut off wheel, safety glasses suggested. If you walked up to my door with it I would cut it off in 30 seconds for you.

    Utah??????

    Unless, you could get them a number and buy a new key from the factory....
    I hate cars,

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer with full Ultegra
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike theifs usually insert a scissor jack or a very long lever.

  4. #4
    Junior Member SJgunguy24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Northern Mexico(San Jose Ca.)
    My Bikes
    Surly instagator
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hacksaw or a grinder with a cutoff wheel NOT a grinding wheel. If you can get a hold of a portaband use that,makes short work of cutting very thick metal,a cutting torch,a rebar cutter or,what the hell, high explosives!!!!! LOL Just kidding the portaband would be the best,no sparks like the grinder and no slag like the torch. I'm a Sheetmetal worker and have lots of experience with all types of metal,if you wanna do it on the cheap hacksaw.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer with full Ultegra
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
    I'm a Sheetmetal worker and have lots of experience with all types of metal,if you wanna do it on the cheap hacksaw.
    I would hope it doesn't give up that easy. I would hope it would be like trying to hacksaw through hardened tool steel.

  6. #6
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabor View Post
    I would hope it doesn't give up that easy. I would hope it would be like trying to hacksaw through hardened tool steel.

    Be interesting to find out if it gives up easily though wouldn't it?

    -Roger

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the problem is it's locked to a bike rack. I thought about driving up to it and using a dremel with a cutting wheel. Its an older krypto lock, the metal is about 3/4 or so thick.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wa
    Posts
    404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you pick the nicest bike.
    "harder" is not a very good safeword.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    My Bikes
    1974 Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
    A hacksaw or a grinder with a cutoff wheel NOT a grinding wheel. If you can get a hold of a portaband use that,makes short work of cutting very thick metal,a cutting torch,a rebar cutter or,what the hell, high explosives!!!!! LOL Just kidding the portaband would be the best,no sparks like the grinder and no slag like the torch. I'm a Sheetmetal worker and have lots of experience with all types of metal,if you wanna do it on the cheap hacksaw.
    You'll need a tungsten carbide hacksaw blade if you go the hacksaw route...the hardened steel of a U-Lock requires it. Milwaukee sells a good one through amazon.com if you can't find one locally. You still have to eat your wheaties, though, as getting through the U-Lock still takes ~30 minutes of sawing.

    Got an old abandoned Schwinn breeze this way. Overhauled it, built up a new wheelset for it, and now it's my girlfriend's commuter.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Torchy McFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    My Bikes
    NOYB
    Posts
    1,399
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kryptonite U-locks are all made of hardened steel. Fastest and easiest way is with a portable angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

    You said it's an older one? Does it have a round key? If so, there might be a quieter way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XxcOj3Seo

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Latvian in Seattle
    Posts
    1,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, TM -- I had heard about that issue but hadn't seen the demonstration! There was an interesting Slate article a few years ago where the author went at various bike locks with hand tools to see how they fared.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,425
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on a hacksaw won't do it. Either a grinder or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel will. Drape some wet cloths over the bike to keep the sparks from damaging the paint.

    The jack, etc, approach is likely to damage the bike, particularly if it slips.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PIZZ View Post
    well the problem is it's locked to a bike rack. I thought about driving up to it and using a dremel with a cutting wheel. Its an older krypto lock, the metal is about 3/4 or so thick.
    A dremel is going to take an awful long time to get through 3/4" hardened steel. Harbor Freight sells angle grinders for $19.99, sometimes less depending on sale dates. I've used one, in combination with a power inverter and a 50' extension cord from our van to cut off locks for a friend who broke his keys in the lock being an idiot. Its still a longer process than cutting a cable lock, and will likely draw some attention (though I've never been questioned by anything more than a curious eye when doing this) so be prepared to explain what's going on.

  14. #14
    Banana seat Captain Slow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the U lock is one of the older variety with a cylindrical key, you're in luck.
    Since about 2000, it's been well known that you can pick it with a ball point
    pen barrel. (Biro)

    After I found this out, I was able to open my motorcycle disc lock in about
    15 seconds.

    http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty.../2004/09/64987


    If you have one of the new & improved U locks, dig around for the paperwork
    from when you bought it. If you can come up with the lock's serial number or
    a key number, Kryptonite will get you a replacement key, no problem (but not
    no cost...)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TORONTO , ONT , CA
    My Bikes
    1 x Raleigh Grand Prix (bought 1975) ; 1 x no-name ruster MTB ; 1 x unused new Raleigh MTB (Avenger?)
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some methods demonstrated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNTq3nhuh0

  16. #16
    my brain hurts! fosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oak Knoll
    My Bikes
    Numerous bicycles.
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    fire wrench...

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have cut a u lock with a grinder. Buy a grinder and a metal cutting blade you will have the lock cut in 30 secs.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Thumpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Sunny South
    Posts
    1,530
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by busted knuckles View Post
    Make sure you pick the nicest bike.



  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TORONTO , ONT , CA
    My Bikes
    1 x Raleigh Grand Prix (bought 1975) ; 1 x no-name ruster MTB ; 1 x unused new Raleigh MTB (Avenger?)
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fosmith View Post


    fire wrench...
    That looks awesome! Can you mail me one?

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekknoschtev View Post
    Its still a longer process than cutting a cable lock, and will likely draw some attention (though I've never been questioned by anything more than a curious eye when doing this) so be prepared to explain what's going on.
    There is the explanation for bike theft in a nutshell, right? Unless a law enforcement type who cares happens on the scene, most people won't bat an eye if someone who looks like they are doing something they are supposed to be doing is cutting locks off of a bike rack. If it's in broad daylight and you don't look nervous, you can steal almost anything on a public way. For full effect, have a buddy stand around watching while drinking a cup of coffee, just like the pros do it ;-)

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,425
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slyborg View Post
    There is the explanation for bike theft in a nutshell, right? Unless a law enforcement type who cares happens on the scene, most people won't bat an eye if someone who looks like they are doing something they are supposed to be doing is cutting locks off of a bike rack. If it's in broad daylight and you don't look nervous, you can steal almost anything on a public way. For full effect, have a buddy stand around watching while drinking a cup of coffee, just like the pros do it ;-)
    To avoid any problems you might want to notify the local cops in advance. Easier than explaining later if they get curious as to whose bike it really is.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TORONTO , ONT , CA
    My Bikes
    1 x Raleigh Grand Prix (bought 1975) ; 1 x no-name ruster MTB ; 1 x unused new Raleigh MTB (Avenger?)
    Posts
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    To avoid any problems you might want to notify the local cops in advance. Easier than explaining later if they get curious as to whose bike it really is.
    Hello? NYPD? I'm just calling in advance to notify you that I will be sitting at 136th and 73rd with a hacksaw sawing at a bike lock from 2:00 to 3:00.There's nothing to be worried about and you can just drive right on past me. Have a good day!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    36" or bigger bolt cutters.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,425
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISaacG View Post
    Hello? NYPD? I'm just calling in advance to notify you that I will be sitting at 136th and 73rd with a hacksaw sawing at a bike lock from 2:00 to 3:00.There's nothing to be worried about and you can just drive right on past me. Have a good day!
    That's pretty much it. But you might want to let them know the make, model and serial no. too.

    However, give it's NYC, the cops will probably drive right by even if you don't notify them in advance.

  25. #25
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh please. Do this in an urban/downtown ish environment and you can be getting raped on the corner of front and university and nobody would bat an eye.

    Seriously.

    Nobody cares or want to care.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •