Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-08, 09:30 PM   #1
JoelS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does a drop bar like this exist?

I currently have an ITM Team bar on my Colnago. I'm feeling pretty stretched out on it and went to see a fitter. He confirmed. The top tube is about 2cm too long. I've already got a very short stem on it, not likely I'll find a quill stem much shorter than what's there now. So I've started looking for other options. One occurred to me today.

Is there a drop bar that starts the bend to the drops quickly? On my current bar, from the start of the bend out to the farthest extent in the middle of the bend it's 90mm (this is the distance forward from the start of the bend to the furthest extent). I'm wondering if there is a bar that starts the bend to the drops sooner. Maybe like a 70 mm or 50 mm distance instead. I also need them 440mm wide and 26mm for the stem clamp (quill type, ITM Eclypse).

What do ya'll think? And no, getting a new frame right now is way outside my budget.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:27 PM   #2
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
... I've already got a very short stem on it, not likely I'll find a quill stem much shorter than what's there now.....
Just curious - what is the size of your current stem? I've got some 60mm ones laying around.

Also, try moving your seat forward 2cm. I know that this is not something your supposed to do, but try it and see if it makes a difference. You've got nothing to lose, and can always put it back the way it was if it causes fit issues.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 11:27 PM   #3
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,263
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
Is there a drop bar that starts the bend to the drops quickly? On my current bar, from the start of the bend out to the farthest extent in the middle of the bend it's 90mm (this is the distance forward from the start of the bend to the furthest extent). I'm wondering if there is a bar that starts the bend to the drops sooner. Maybe like a 70 mm or 50 mm distance instead. I also need them 440mm wide and 26mm for the stem clamp (quill type, ITM Eclypse).

What do ya'll think? And no, getting a new frame right now is way outside my budget.
Bars definitely come in different reach. Just for reference, so you can compare to your own bars, this is how it is measured: http://www.eastonbike.com/images/P-b...rop_75-130.gif

There are many bars in a 75-85 mm reach, and you can maybe find some as low as 70.

If your current bars are indeed 90mm of reach (measured like the link above) you can shed up to 15mm of that. It does indeed impact stem length. I know because I changed from a 86 mm bar to a 75 reach and can now comfortably use a 1 cm longer stem.

Many/most short reach bars are available in 26 (25.8) mm clamp size.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-08-08 at 11:35 PM.
Camilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 01:35 AM   #4
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ixnay on moving the seat forward if he's got proper KOPS position in the existing configuration.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 09:21 AM   #5
JoelS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been to a fitter and my seat is properly positioned. The trick now is to get the bars back some. My stem is 80mm. So if you've got a couple of 60's lying around that might help, I'll send you a PM. But I really would like to replace the bar, I need to buy a new one anyway (for another bike), so I can move the current one over.

"Reach" that's the term I need. I'll see what I can turn up with a 70mm reach.

Thanks folks!
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 10:14 AM   #6
TimJ
Senior Member
 
TimJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
I currently have an ITM Team bar on my Colnago. I'm feeling pretty stretched out on it and went to see a fitter. He confirmed. The top tube is about 2cm too long. I've already got a very short stem on it, not likely I'll find a quill stem much shorter than what's there now. So I've started looking for other options. One occurred to me today.

Is there a drop bar that starts the bend to the drops quickly? On my current bar, from the start of the bend out to the farthest extent in the middle of the bend it's 90mm (this is the distance forward from the start of the bend to the furthest extent). I'm wondering if there is a bar that starts the bend to the drops sooner. Maybe like a 70 mm or 50 mm distance instead. I also need them 440mm wide and 26mm for the stem clamp (quill type, ITM Eclypse).

What do ya'll think? And no, getting a new frame right now is way outside my budget.

Yes. FSA makes some really short reach bars but I think they're all 31.8. Salsa has the poco which is fairly short reach, ritchey biomax is fairly short reach, but I don't think they go much shorter than... around 75mm.
__________________
fun facts: Psychopaths have trouble understanding abstract concepts.
"Incompetent individuals, compared with their more competent peers, will dramatically overestimate their ability and performance relative to objective criteria."
TimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 10:41 AM   #7
JoelS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Ritchey Biomax looks like a good solution. Especially with one of Bigbossman's short stems. Then I should be set.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 11:13 AM   #8
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Ixnay on moving the seat forward if he's got proper KOPS position in the existing configuration.
Doesn't cost anything and it is totally reversible if it doesn't feel right, so why not? I know plenty of folks that get the correct fit for themselves by going outside the "accepted" guidelines.

Check out this link on Sheldon Brown's website: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

KOPS ain't the Bible, ya know..... more like a starting point
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-09-08 at 11:21 AM.
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 12:29 PM   #9
JoelS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bigbossman, I sent you an e-mail through the system here. If you don't see it, would you bring one of those 60mm stems to the ride on the 27th?
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 01:27 PM   #10
relyt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Biomax now comes in 31.8 only, as far as I can tell. The Salsa Poco bars are similar, and would be a good choice in 26.0.
relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 01:29 PM   #11
TimJ
Senior Member
 
TimJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought a new biomax in 26.
__________________
fun facts: Psychopaths have trouble understanding abstract concepts.
"Incompetent individuals, compared with their more competent peers, will dramatically overestimate their ability and performance relative to objective criteria."
TimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 01:52 PM   #12
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
There are many bars in a 75-85 mm reach, and you can maybe find some as low as 70.
Salsa Poco. 70mm reach, 140mm drop.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 02:01 PM   #13
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
bigbossman, I sent you an e-mail through the system here. If you don't see it, would you bring one of those 60mm stems to the ride on the 27th?
No Problem. Remind me when it gets close.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 05:10 PM   #14
tellyho
Your mom
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about these Modolos from Velo-Orange? Sounds like what you're looking for.
tellyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 05:34 PM   #15
hxzero
Needs to Ride More
 
hxzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:O

those crazy bars on his pretty colnago?

just might work.
hxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 05:52 PM   #16
JoelS
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
How about these Modolos from Velo-Orange? Sounds like what you're looking for.
Those are crazy. But it doesn't look like they have any shorter a reach or drop than what I have now. I'm really leaning toward the Ritchey bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
No Problem. Remind me when it gets close.
Thanks! I appreciate it.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.