fair weather cyclist
FSA integrated headset - how do i do this?
I got the FSA headset that came with the Scattante XRL comp bike. I have never done a headset before so bear with me. For your kind answers I will put up a website with lots of pictures so you don't have to answer dumb questions from idiots like me in the future!!!
Here are all of my parts:
(These are pictures looking at the top of the head tube)
1) The first race that goes in the top has a beveled edge on one side, and straight on the other side. Does the beveled edge go into the top tube? That is how I put it:
2) Next I have the bearing retainer. Which way does the retainer go. There is a "Open" side and a "closed side". In this picture I put the closed side down.
3) Rubber seal. Has a small groove indent on on side and sort of a very small "V" outdent - which way does this go? In this picture I have the outdented V facing up.
4) I am assuming the fork crown race needs to be absolutely flush at the bottom steer tube?
5) Where do these spacers go?
6) Where does the centering sleeve go?
BTW Frame is a Scattante XRL Comp.
I'm pretty sure that's good, the "open" side of the cartridge bearing should face the "cone" on each side, and not the "cup". So that looks good.
The centering sleeve goes on top of the cone, so your order (using the top as an example) is cup-bearing-cone-centering sleeve. That sleeve keeps the steerer tube in the center of the head tube.
Next up, the cone shaped part labeled FSA, and on top of that, however many spacers you want to make your stem the right height, and then the top cap with the hex bolt in it. The top of your steerer tube (tube attached to the fork) should be slightly below the top of your stem tube, so that the top cap can apply pressure. Tighten down that top cap by screwing the hex bolt into the star fangled nut until it's tight, but not so tight that the bearings don't roll.