Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    OldSchool
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Campy Shifter Compatibility Question

    I have a nice set of 9 speed Centaur shifters that came off of a bike with a triple setup. Could these shifters be used in a double setup with a 9-speed Centaur/Chorus group? Any problems or issues I should be aware of? Thanks for any info!

  2. #2
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go here http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp and open part A, there are compatibility charts at the end. However, they are rather complex. I googled a bit and did not find a simple compatibility chart. Perhaps someone can simplify the Campy one and it could be stickied as this question comes up quite a bit (or link to an existing chart).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,426
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFAIK, all Campy Ergo brifters are both double and triple compatible.

  4. #4
    coffee bean grinder grinderbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's another thing Campy is better than Shimano: there is no distinction between double and triple.
    Campy has gazillon shift points across the whole front derailleur shift range. Finer adjustment and more forgiving.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,426
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grinderbob View Post
    Campy has gazillon shift points across the whole front derailleur shift range. Finer adjustment and more forgiving.
    Correct , right up until the '07 introduction of "QS" brifters. Centaur and below now have "Escapement" front shifting which is very much like Shimano, i.e. one click drops you from the big ring to the middle/inner and there are very limited trim positions.

    They do retain the double/triple compatibility, which is odd since Campy doesn't have triple crank options for any of its better lines of components. They have, theoretically, specific triple groups but no one seems to carry them and Campy sure doesn't emphasize their avaiability.

    BTW, Record and Chorus QS brifters do retain the "micro shifting" front shifting so if you want it, plan on buying the higher ($$$) line stuff.

  6. #6
    coffee bean grinder grinderbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, good to know about the escapement shifting on some lower models. I thought Campy was using the same
    rachting parts for left and right. It must be a cost saving and model differentiation thing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,079
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn View Post
    I have a nice set of 9 speed Centaur shifters that came off of a bike with a triple setup. Could these shifters be used in a double setup with a 9-speed Centaur/Chorus group? Any problems or issues I should be aware of? Thanks for any info!
    In 2001 Campy changed the cable pull on their shifters and throw ratio on the rear derailleur. The early 9-speed shifters and rear derailleurs are not cross-compatible with the later shifters or derailluers. I don't know how to tell the difference by looking. Check with Branford Bikes.

    Edit: Here is some info from the official Campy website, see tables 30 and 31 http://www.campagnolo.com/repository...spares01-A.pdf

    Al
    Last edited by Al1943; 08-06-08 at 01:17 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post

    They do retain the double/triple compatibility, which is odd since Campy doesn't have triple crank options for any of its better lines of components. They have, theoretically, specific triple groups but no one seems to carry them and Campy sure doesn't emphasize their avaiability.
    Lick Bikes sells the Comp components which is Campy's higher triple line. I just bought a Comp front derailleur to go with a Record triple group. I'm changing bikes and the new one has a different seat tube diameter.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,426
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Lick Bikes sells the Comp components which is Campy's higher triple line. I just bought a Comp front derailleur to go with a Record triple group. I'm changing bikes and the new one has a different seat tube diameter.
    Thanks for the lead. I'm familiar with Licktons but haven't looked at their Campy stuff recently.

    I guess my point was that Campy used to offer triple cranks, long cage rear derailleurs and triple compatible front derailleurs through out their lines from Record on down. Then, in '07 they discontinued all of the triple options in the "name" groups and introduced a couple of triple-specific lines that they seem to treat as after-thoughts. What it think is ironic is that Record, Chorus, etc. brifters are triple compatible but they offer no triple components in these groups.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I guess my point was that Campy used to offer triple cranks, long cage rear derailleurs and triple compatible front derailleurs through out their lines from Record on down. Then, in '07 they discontinued all of the triple options in the "name" groups and introduced a couple of triple-specific lines that they seem to treat as after-thoughts. What it think is ironic is that Record, Chorus, etc. brifters are triple compatible but they offer no triple components in these groups.
    I agree. They advertise the Comp group as being similar to Chorus/Record but I don't think the finish compares and they lack the CF parts. The medium cage Chorus/Record rear derailleurs work with triples and are still available.

    I didn't really like putting on the Comp front derailleur with the Record group.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •