Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A stupid, but easy, spoke question

    I've been on the lookout for some Wheelsmith spokes recently that are no longer made. The ones that I've found are black. I need silver.

    What happens if I remove that coating? Do they look like crap? Do they rust?

    If it's not a bad move, how do I take the coating off (chemical, or physical)?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,268
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how these spokes are colored but I'm almost certain it's not just paint. The spokes shouldn't rust (they're stainless steel) if you remove the color but you may weaken them significantly if you do it physically.

    Contact Wheelsmith for a definitive answer.

  3. #3
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I'm not sure how these spokes are colored but I'm almost certain it's not just paint. The spokes shouldn't rust (they're stainless steel) if you remove the color but you may weaken them significantly if you do it physically.

    Contact Wheelsmith for a definitive answer.
    Sometimes the most obvious answers are overlooked.

    Thanks for the advice!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brians647 View Post
    I've been on the lookout for some Wheelsmith spokes recently that are no longer made. The ones that I've found are black. I need silver.
    Wheelsmith spokes that are available only in black?

  5. #5
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Wheelsmith spokes that are available only in black?
    At this time, they only seem to be available in black. Back when they were being produced, I'm sure that they came in both colors. Actually, i already have the silver ones, I'm just trying to find more of them in the length that I need - but am having no luck

  6. #6
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.wheelsmith.com/spokes_introduction.html

    All Wheelsmith spokes are produced from a specially drawn 304 stainless steel using a variety of cold forging techniques, some proprietary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,268
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler View Post
    http://www.wheelsmith.com/spokes_introduction.html

    All Wheelsmith spokes are produced from a specially drawn 304 stainless steel using a variety of cold forging techniques, some proprietary.
    So are DT and Sapim spokes but plain 304 gives silver-colored spokes. The black color could be a nickel plating but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

  8. #8
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    So are DT and Sapim spokes but plain 304 gives silver-colored spokes. The black color could be a nickel plating but I'm not sure exactly what it is.
    Well, I've emailed Wheelsmith. We'll see what their take on it is.

    Thanks for the added info!

  9. #9
    Too many bikes bikemore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little late to the party, but I believe these are silver
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...lid=927&type=T

  10. #10
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemore View Post
    I'm a little late to the party, but I believe these are silver
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...lid=927&type=T
    Yep, they're silver, but the ones I am looking for are the old bladed XE's.

    I've gotten no response from Wheelsmith (or the parent company), so does anyone else care to venture a guess as to how, and if, I can remove the black coating?

  11. #11
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ask ric, he might help you?

    http://wheelfanatyk.blogspot.com/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bill Kapaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
    My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Posts
    6,794
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if you posted the spec's & number you need, someone may have some??

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,268
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brians647 View Post
    Yep, they're silver, but the ones I am looking for are the old bladed XE's.

    I've gotten no response from Wheelsmith (or the parent company), so does anyone else care to venture a guess as to how, and if, I can remove the black coating?
    Did you e-mail them? It's amazing how often e-mails get ignored. Phone calls usually get immediate attention.

  14. #14
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Did you e-mail them? It's amazing how often e-mails get ignored. Phone calls usually get immediate attention.
    2 emails, and a phone call in the middle (left a message). I'll keep trying.

  15. #15
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Wheelsmith spokes are Black Oxide coated, as are most other brands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  16. #16
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    Maybe if you posted the spec's & number you need, someone may have some??
    I need the XE spokes (either 14 or 15) in silver in a 282 or 283mm length. ANYONE??? Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler View Post
    I believe Wheelsmith spokes are Black Oxide coated, as are most other brands.
    Yep, I finally got ahold of them. They are Black Oxide coated. Can that be removed chemically?

  17. #17
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test one out by spraying some oven-cleaner on it. Works well for anodized aluminium coatings. The NaOH should dissolve oxidated materials. Spray it on, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe off with damp rag. Don't wait too long and let it dry out.

  18. #18
    R.E.Member brians647's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CT
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Kirk
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    Test one out by spraying some oven-cleaner on it. Works well for anodized aluminium coatings. The NaOH should dissolve oxidated materials. Spray it on, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe off with damp rag. Don't wait too long and let it dry out.
    Thanks Danno! Your wisdom is much appreciated!

  19. #19
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,151
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see this but I will check my wheel building bin and sort through my various Wheelsmith spokes. I have some AE spokes but not sure of lengths. I haven't bought black spokes so far so all my spokes are silver.

    This would be later this weekend or early next week. Unless you tell me not to check.

    cdr

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •