Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 2.0 (flame away)
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My first crash......bent rear rim.

    So I went down, I could have saved it but could not get my feet out of my straps quick enough.....

    My rear rim is really bent, took it to my LBS and he said they could not fix it. He said I would need a new rim, about $70, but they did not have a black rim in stock and had to order which would take a week.

    I cant wait that long as this is how i get to work.

    Called another LBS to see if they have one in stock and got a little more info that I did not know. Newb here, did not realize the difference between a wheel and a rim. He said it would be cheaper to by a new wheel (said he had one for $100) than to just replace the rim with them doing the labor to do the swap? I dont really understand because i have never done this. This LBS has not seen the rim yet also.

    So what should i do? I need to get it going by tomorrow. If I can find a rim, is it something i can repair myself with parktool or something and then just have it trued?

    Please help. Thanks. Its a 700c tire, the rim says PR15 or something like that. Its a cheap bike I got online, windsor wellington 2.0.

  2. #2
    Recreational Commuter
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    My Bikes
    Two brand-less build-ups.
    Posts
    1,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Hoodlum View Post
    So I went down, I could have saved it but could not get my feet out of my straps quick enough.....

    My rear rim is really bent, took it to my LBS and he said they could not fix it. He said I would need a new rim, about $70, but they did not have a black rim in stock and had to order which would take a week.

    I cant wait that long as this is how i get to work.

    Called another LBS to see if they have one in stock and got a little more info that I did not know. Newb here, did not realize the difference between a wheel and a rim. He said it would be cheaper to by a new wheel (said he had one for $100) than to just replace the rim with them doing the labor to do the swap? I dont really understand because i have never done this. This LBS has not seen the rim yet also.

    So what should i do? I need to get it going by tomorrow. If I can find a rim, is it something i can repair myself with parktool or something and then just have it trued?

    Please help. Thanks. Its a 700c tire, the rim says PR15 or something like that. Its a cheap bike I got online, windsor wellington 2.0.
    If you're pressed for time (or money), get the complete wheel. If you're never built a wheel before, it will take you way too long to get it assembled and trued. (My first wheelbould took most of a weekend.) Buy a complete wheel, have the shop move the casette (the part with the gears) over, mount tube and tire, and you're rolling.
    Riding the Ohio MS Central Ohio Challenge tour, July 12th.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 2.0 (flame away)
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    If you're pressed for time (or money), get the complete wheel. If you're never built a wheel before, it will take you way too long to get it assembled and trued. (My first wheelbould took most of a weekend.) Buy a complete wheel, have the shop move the casette (the part with the gears) over, mount tube and tire, and you're rolling.

    dang. yah i have never built one before. so does the $100 sound ok for that or should i call around some more?

  4. #4
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This should give you an idea of what road wheels run

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_id=5320

    And Performance has locations in Portland.

    The fastest and easiest route is going to be a complete wheel. Keep your old wheel and practice truing it up, or buy a rim and try your hand at using your old wheels hub and spokes to build a new wheel and you will have a replacement if this happens again.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  5. #5
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't hurt to make another couple of calls, but $100 doesn't seem out of line.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #6
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grid Reference, SK
    My Bikes
    I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Hoodlum View Post
    dang. yah i have never built one before. so does the $100 sound ok for that or should i call around some more?
    For $100 make sure you arer getting a double walled rim (you can tell because the spoke nipple heads seem to be dwn inside a well when you look at the top part usually covered by the tire) and stainless steel spokes (you probably have to take the shop guys word on this) with a casette hub (freewheel mechanism built into the hub, not threaded on separate). Then yeah, it's not unreasonable.

    However, most pre-built wheels are machine built and the spokes are poorly/unevenly tensioned and/or not properly stress relieved, meaning you might experience loose and broken spokes after about a season (or less) of riding.

    See if they shop can hand-stress-relieve and re-true the wheels before you take them. It would not be unreasonable for them to ask for a little extra $$ (like $10 or $15 max) to do this, and ask if there is any warranty on the spokes (this might sound weird to some, but there is no way a spoke should break on a wheel that is less than a year old unless it was not properly built, or the derailleur is maladjusted).

    Generally the pre-built wheels are not a bad deal, though.

    If I were you I would keep the old wheel and relace it with new spokes and hub when I got the chance. That way if this happens again you just need to swap over the tube/tire/rmistrip and casette and you are rolling again.

    Also, toe-clips and straps are death traps... clipless (clip-in) pedals and shoes are much safer when you get used to them.

  7. #7
    Rode Off Into The Woods
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    07' Trek 1500 Ultegra
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you post a pic of a bent rim? I'm just curious to see the carnage the shop said they couldn't repair.

  8. #8
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you land on your bike when you crashed?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 2.0 (flame away)
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overturn View Post
    can you post a pic of a bent rim? I'm just curious to see the carnage the shop said they couldn't repair.

    Thanks for all the replys and advice. Was out for the day. Took my wheel down to the bike shop that quoted me $100 for a new wheel. The guy was awsome down there. I told him about the $100 one that i talked to someone over the phone and also asked that he take a look at mine for a second opinion. He spent about 10 minutes trueing it, $15 and i was out. He went into a little detail about how the wheel is cheap and some spokes on the drive side were to short....??? Anyways he said it should last, gave me a few pointers with the brake adjustment and said i might need to come back to have them trued again in about a month or so.

    I will be going to this shop from now on for sure. They are actually the only shop in Portland that I know of that really specializes in road bikes but they were the furthest from me. The mechanic could have easily said the wheel was no good and charged me $100+.

    Also stopped at a store and got my fenders and rain gear. I got a killer deal, $230 for pants and a jacket, on clearance/sale $80 for both. My bike is all back together and adjusted and im ready for the rain. My horrible day turned out to be pretty darn good after all.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 2.0 (flame away)
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
    Did you land on your bike when you crashed?
    possibly. details are not important here my friend........but im sure the 50 cars watching me got a great laugh out of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •