Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cassette grinding under load.

    My bike only has 963 miles on it, and recently the drivetrain has been making a grinding sound in the lower gears of the cassette. It's not coming from the chain rubbing the front derailleur... no cross chaining here. I checked the chain for stretching around 800 miles and it didn't show much wear. All the cables are properly tensioned and I repacked the hubs 2 weeks ago. The grinding is the loudest under torque... like starting from a complete stop or going uphill. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR 3, Bontrager, Trek 1500
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by croscoe View Post
    My bike only has 963 miles on it, and recently the drivetrain has been making a grinding sound in the lower gears of the cassette. It's not coming from the chain rubbing the front derailleur... no cross chaining here. I checked the chain for stretching around 800 miles and it didn't show much wear. All the cables are properly tensioned and I repacked the hubs 2 weeks ago. The grinding is the loudest under torque... like starting from a complete stop or going uphill. Any ideas?
    Check out what Park's website has to say about adjusting front ders.

  3. #3
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it more like grinding, or more like a rattle?
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim6b View Post
    Check out what Park's website has to say about adjusting front ders.
    It's not the front derailleur.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Is it more like grinding, or more like a rattle?
    It's definately a grinding sound.

  5. #5
    Road Nazi Hunter Donegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slow! But Ahead of You.
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the rear derailleur. Get close to the jockey pulleys. Check the chainline, is the jockey pulley as well as the cassette cog exactly in the center of the chain? If they are off to one side or the other, they can be grinding on the edge of the next cog.

    Also check your derailleur for straight lines. Is it aligned straight up and down?? Could be bent derailleur hanger. Also, check to make sure the derailleur is aligned straight front to back. I had one on a new bike right out of the box slightly skewed and it made all kinds of noise. On my carbon frame, it echoed terribly.
    Rubber Side Down Racing Team
    My Other Home:http://DonGaleHomes.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member masi61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really like to know the solution as I have the same problem. It could be a chain lube issue but I'm not sure. I'll stay tuned to see what others think ...

  7. #7
    Senior Member masi61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bump

    can somebody address the original question?

    I think croscoe deserves a robust discussion on the causes of grinding in his drivetrain.

  8. #8
    Wrench
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Full Record 2009 CAAD 9, XO Orbea Lanza, Pacific single Speed, OLD DiamondBack Single Speed, GT Idrive, GT Aggressor, Schwin Varsity, Giant "Brass"
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind/type of Chain lube are you using? How often do you apply it? What kind of conditions are you riding in? (Rain, dusting, road grit, etc..)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •