Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Replacing a damaged rim - OK to reuse spokes?

    My front wheel was damaged by a severe pothole impact. It is a Mavic Open Pro 32h with 105 hubs (not the smoothest, but they'll do) and unknown spokes (came off of a 2002 Giant TCR 2). I have a replacement wheelset at the moment - Neuvation R28 SL3 - but the loud decals and irritatingly loud freewheel (yes, I greased the hell out of it) make me long for my trusty Mavic wheels again. If I buy a new identical Open Pro rim and relace the wheel in the same spoke pattern, is it OK to reuse the spokes?
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  2. #2
    Buh'wah?! Amani576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    1972 Raleigh Twenty, mid-80's Trek
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the threads aren't stripped when you unscrew the nipples, and they aren't bent severely (slight curve will get pulled straight) or at a noticeable angle, and also that they aren't corroded. I personally can't see any reason why not. Just make sure you lace it in the exact spoke pattern (although that would be difficult without shorter/longer spokes) and that you also feel comfortable reusing them. The same applies for the nipples. Make sure you don't strip any of them on both the head of it, as well as the actual nut section. Then I really can't see any problem, again, as long as you feel comfortable doing so.
    I'm learning how to build rims and from everything I've gathered, this is my 2 cents.
    Hope it helps.

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
    My front wheel was damaged by a severe pothole impact. It is a Mavic Open Pro 32h with 105 hubs (not the smoothest, but they'll do) and unknown spokes (came off of a 2002 Giant TCR 2). I have a replacement wheelset at the moment - Neuvation R28 SL3 - but the loud decals and irritatingly loud freewheel (yes, I greased the hell out of it) make me long for my trusty Mavic wheels again. If I buy a new identical Open Pro rim and relace the wheel in the same spoke pattern, is it OK to reuse the spokes?
    If the spokes aren't kinked or obviously severely bent you can re-use them. Brandt says this is actually better than using new ones. Assuming you are using the exact same rim - which you said you are.

    The campy manual details a really easy and fast way of transferring rims.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BCRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The 'Wack, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Posts
    5,435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's as simple as easing off the tension in small steps over a few circuits of the wheel and then tape the new rim to the old and move the spokes over one at a time and then re-tension. Done this quite a few times now for rim replacements due to damage or just plain worn out rims from rim brakes.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

  5. #5
    Blue Light Special kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, Sunny Cali
    My Bikes
    '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    It's as simple as easing off the tension in small steps over a few circuits of the wheel and then tape the new rim to the old and move the spokes over one at a time and then re-tension.
    And I was just wondering how to do that in a clever way. Brilliant!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    racer x flies across cobblestones with a grimace of determination, three feet of seatpost, bars level with ankles, carbon fiber frame with Kryptonite lugs and a millimeter clearance between the fork and the 700x21c tires. This gives everyone a *****

  6. #6
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BC beat me to it with the tape idea. Just make sure you have the left-right hole orientation correct when laying up the new rim next to the old one. Also don't spin down the nipples all the way on the new rim until you've got all the spokes transferred; just 1-2 threads will do and it'll make the transfer easier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •