Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Oklahoma City, OK USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tire irregularity question
I just bought a pair of Continental Top Touring 2000 700/28 tires. Even though both tires have the size clearly marked on the sidewall it has become apparent to me that they are not exactly the same size. At first glance one looks to be narrower and shorter than the other. I took my metal ruler and spread the tires flat and measured the width from bead to bead. One tire is 5mm narrower than the other. Also when you lay one tire on top of the other it is apparent that the wire beads are not the same diameter. One is about 5mm smaller in diameter than the other. I have not mounted either of these tires. They still have the tags on them and I plan to take them back.
If I had bought them from any other shop taking them back would not be an issue. But of all the shops I called and visited this was the only one that had them in stock and these were the only two he had. When I pointed out to the manager that one tire looked different he swore that they were identical. When I got them home and looked again I realized my first impression was right. Based on my previous experience with this shop I know the manager is going to argue with me about taking at least the smaller one back so I thought I would get all my ducks in a row in order to present a clear case for either a refund or a replacement.
1) My argument will be that the smaller tire is not the true size stamped on the side. It is either a defect from the factory or a much older tire that was made to different standards or specifications (it does look like itís been on the shelf for a long time when compared to the other)
2) The smaller tire will have a somewhat harsher ride than the bigger.
3) The smaller tire will be harder to mount and dismount for changing flats when compared to the other tire.
4) With the tires uneven the bike will not sit level.
5) If he will not give a refund then I want him to replace both tires. The reason I would prefer both to be replaced is that it would be more likely that they would be the same size if they were shipped form the factory at the same time.
Does this all sound reasonable?