Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-08, 03:30 AM   #1
Luke52
٩๏̯͡๏)۶
Thread Starter
 
Luke52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes: 2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mechanical Disc Brake problem.

A quick search showed nothing of relevance.

Yesterday I snapped my front brake cable on my Shimano BR-465 disc brakes.

Pic of the brakes...It's the rear brake shown, but it's exactly the same as far as I can tell.



I got a new cable, and replaced the broken one, but just one issue: I can't seem to get full braking power back.

I looked on the Parktools website, and I can't find anything which will help with this issue.

Any help on adjusting mechanical discs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke.
Luke52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 06:20 AM   #2
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 5,945
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke52 View Post
A quick search showed nothing of relevance.

Yesterday I snapped my front brake cable on my Shimano BR-465 disc brakes.

Pic of the brakes...It's the rear brake shown, but it's exactly the same as far as I can tell.



I got a new cable, and replaced the broken one, but just one issue: I can't seem to get full braking power back.

I looked on the Parktools website, and I can't find anything which will help with this issue.

Any help on adjusting mechanical discs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke.
That brake has both inner and outer pad adjustment capability and that is probably what is needed. Use a hex wrench in the socket heads that are in the centre of the caliper. Set the inner pad as close to the rotor as you can without rubbing, then set your outer pad to the desired lever feel.
Don't force the adjustment screws. If it is within adjustment range,they should turn quite easily. You will feel incrimental clicks.
The last person to set it up may have adjusted it by pulling cable through the pinch bolt and that's why it feels different now.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 07:03 AM   #3
Luke52
٩๏̯͡๏)۶
Thread Starter
 
Luke52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes: 2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
That brake has both inner and outer pad adjustment capability and that is probably what is needed. Use a hex wrench in the socket heads that are in the centre of the caliper. Set the inner pad as close to the rotor as you can without rubbing, then set your outer pad to the desired lever feel.
Don't force the adjustment screws. If it is within adjustment range,they should turn quite easily. You will feel incrimental clicks.
The last person to set it up may have adjusted it by pulling cable through the pinch bolt and that's why it feels different now.
I have tried both pulling the cable through the anchor bolt, AND adjusting the pad position..

Even though I'm pulling the brake lever as hard as I can, the braking power is very weak.

Thanks for the input though
Luke52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 07:31 AM   #4
Alpha52
tilt head to right
 
Alpha52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: on your left
Bikes: Trek, Specialized, Atala, Kona
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the Shimano tech site
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

This is the non-series page where your 465s can be found.
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp?JSESSIONID=LcjLJ3X5962LhytwyhkkRhgr2Yzhb2z37wffvndq2vqbxWJcPGQG!1559361307&ASSORTMENT%3C% 3East_id=1408474395181679&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302051856&bmUID=1222435592372

This is specific to the BR-465 brakes
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830604334.pdf

Print this out as a PDF. It explains installation and troubleshooting. This site has been invaluable to me for all things Shimano...

Good Luck.
Alpha52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 08:42 AM   #5
j mendivil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern, CA Save Our Potholes!
Bikes: Varies
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Logically, it worked before, what changed? The cable broke. Do not adjust, then you have two problems. Fix the cable first.
You are not done. Disconnect the cable, lift up on the "arm" while slowly turning the wheel until it just drags, back off, then tighten the cable. I find that with new cables, one has one good hard squeeze in adjusting the cable to "stretch" or seat it. Once done, you must add clearance if you disconnect the cable. You have already done so, so leave a little room. However, your brake is what our "kids" call soft. Lifting the arm will eliminate this. Best of luck.
j mendivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 07:48 PM   #6
Luke52
٩๏̯͡๏)۶
Thread Starter
 
Luke52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes: 2010 Giant Filter 1. 07/08 Apollo Independent.
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j mendivil View Post
Logically, it worked before, what changed? The cable broke. Do not adjust, then you have two problems. Fix the cable first.
You are not done. Disconnect the cable, lift up on the "arm" while slowly turning the wheel until it just drags, back off, then tighten the cable. I find that with new cables, one has one good hard squeeze in adjusting the cable to "stretch" or seat it. Once done, you must add clearance if you disconnect the cable. You have already done so, so leave a little room. However, your brake is what our "kids" call soft. Lifting the arm will eliminate this. Best of luck.
That bit of info is what helped me the most

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.

Brakes are working as good, if not better than, before
Luke52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 PM.