Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    my legs are carbon thebeatcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    diagnostic help: RD?

    I am getting a dullish clicking sound that sounds/feels internal from the rear that happens consistently when I am pedaling only, about 5-8 clicks per pedal stroke. The drive train is old suntour, friction shifters, and 6spd. So far this is what I've done:

    1) Repacked BB (then decided it was coming from rear)
    2) Disassembled freewheel, cleaned and oiled
    3) #2 failed so I replaced the freewheel (with a new one)

    I was thinking about rear hub bearings, but I don't get the noise when I coast, only during pedaling and the wheel spins fine. Maybe that'll be #4 as it won't hurt anything.

    The other option is the RD, has it gone bad? Help please and sorry if this has been done, I really have looked around here (hence #'s 1-3).

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your chain for stiff links and for wear (measure 24 links, should be 12 1/16" max). Also check your rear derailler's alignment, both the rear hanger and it's position relative to each cog.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JustChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at your BB bearings and your pedals. On a bike the vintage that would have Suntour, those items may need some attention, my bet is the BB

  4. #4
    my legs are carbon thebeatcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    Check your chain for stiff links and for wear (measure 24 links, should be 12 1/16" max). Also check your rear derailler's alignment, both the rear hanger and it's position relative to each cog.
    There aren't any stiff links, but I'll check the rest. Thanks.



    Quote Originally Posted by JustChuck View Post
    Look at your BB bearings and your pedals. On a bike the vintage that would have Suntour, those items may need some attention, my bet is the BB
    I just repacked/replaced the BB bearings and the pedals are used but are relatively new, not like the 20yr old bike. It's definitely coming from the rear.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JustChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not see that you had rebuilt the BB.
    5-8 times per pedal stroke is only about a third of the chain length(on the small ring) So the chain would need to have isues in multiple spots for that to be the problem. Could be the der pulleys, 10 teeth, one pedal stroke would be 39-42 teeth, so 39-42 links. If you had a bad tooth or damage inside the pulley, it would show up about 4 times per stroke. A little low but close to your number.
    Can you support the rear wheel so you can watch the drive train as you pedal and look for anything that might cause your issue.

    If you have a set swap some other pedals, just for grins.

  6. #6
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeatcatcher View Post
    I am getting a dullish clicking sound that sounds/feels internal from the rear that happens consistently when I am pedaling only, about 5-8 clicks per pedal stroke. The drive train is old suntour, friction shifters, and 6spd. So far this is what I've done:

    1) Repacked BB (then decided it was coming from rear)
    2) Disassembled freewheel, cleaned and oiled
    3) #2 failed so I replaced the freewheel (with a new one)

    I was thinking about rear hub bearings, but I don't get the noise when I coast, only during pedaling and the wheel spins fine. Maybe that'll be #4 as it won't hurt anything.

    The other option is the RD, has it gone bad? Help please and sorry if this has been done, I really have looked around here (hence #'s 1-3).

    Thanks.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

    This is in the sticky. Look harder next time.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  7. #7
    my legs are carbon thebeatcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

    This is in the sticky. Look harder next time.
    His site is always the first one I check and I checked that page and (after I tried a few different things) none of those scenarios fit.

  8. #8
    my legs are carbon thebeatcatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    Check your chain for stiff links and for wear (measure 24 links, should be 12 1/16" max). Also check your rear derailler's alignment, both the rear hanger and it's position relative to each cog.
    It was the chain. It was too stretched out so I switched it with a newer one I had lying around that was within your measurement, so problem fixed (for now) and I hope it stays that way!

    Thanks! I was starting to get frustrated.

  9. #9
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to say...Anywho - whenever you replace the components on the drivetrain, always replace the chain. The old one's will have merged in shape with the other (old) components and have a "custom" shape to them from this wear. Even if it's not stretched - New Chain.

    Happy Cycling.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    I was about to say...Anywho - whenever you replace the components on the drivetrain, always replace the chain. The old one's will have merged in shape with the other (old) components and have a "custom" shape to them from this wear. Even if it's not stretched - New Chain.

    Happy Cycling.
    BTDT It's great to be able to share experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •