Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sealed Campy hub bearings replaceable?

    I have a 9spd Veloce rear hub that is a little rough. I took it apart today to regrease/repack it....only to find that the bearings are sealed. Has anyone successfully (and economically) replaced their hub bearings in this type of hub?

    It seems like I might be able to press the bearings out and press new ones in, but am not sure it's worth the effort. The rim is an open pro, and the spokes are of thick gauge while the nipples are red anodized (sweet looking). I'd rather not relace the wheel, but if I have to I will. Also, if I do have to relace it, can I re-use the hub body and put it onto something else, or are they campy specific?
    thanks for the help in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  2. #2
    sch
    sch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Posts
    2,614
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bearings should be 'standard' ie available from any bearing dealer net or walkin worth the name.
    Removal is a matter of appropriate slow steady force applied from the opposite side of the bearing
    Depends on your access but the hub has to be hollow. Even with locktite on the bearing it should
    extrude out with some gentle persuasion. Bearing will have some cryptic numbers on the seal, take the
    intact bearing to bearing store or cross ref with google. Doubt they will cost more than $2-4 each. 3/8" all thread, a couple of nuts and washers will allow you to press in the new bearings. Campy hubs highly likely to be Campy splined.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tariffville, CT
    My Bikes
    Tsunami Bikes
    Posts
    12,673
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible that the bearings will be upgradeable as well. Campy has extensive spare parts lists and you can check between parts to see what is compatible. I don't know the various bearing diameters off hand but you can check here:

    http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

    A sweet upgrade would be the ceramic upgrade (CULT bearings) if they fit. CULT uses super hardened stainless races so they will last longer than the standard ceramic bearing units out there.

    cdr

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    26,180
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Campy's Chorus and Record hubs have cup-and-cone bearings and 10-speed Centaur and below hubs have (had?) sealed bearings but I wasn't aware 9-speed Veloce hubs had sealed bearings.

    Interestingly, Campy seems to be getting out of the hub business altogether. Their website now lists only Record hubs as a separarate component. Chorus lists the Record hub and Centaur and Veloce groups include no hubs whatsoever. I guess Campy wants to sell complete wheels, not hubs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I know Campy's Chorus and Record hubs have cup-and-cone bearings and 10-speed Centaur and below hubs have (had?) sealed bearings but I wasn't aware 9-speed Veloce hubs had sealed bearings.
    Gotta love it; State-of-the-art sealed bearings on the low-end stuff;
    Antiquated cone-and-ball on the high-end stuff.
    That is why I went with Centaur hubs on the Litespeed I built last spring.

    In 1997 I had ColoCyclist build a new pair of wheels for me with Phil Wood sealed-bearing hubs. The rims have been replaced several times since then. I have never touched the hubs. They are still as solid and silky-smooth as the day I received them. Why the hell would I want to go back to the obsolete design. I have better things to do with my time than fuss with hub bearings.
    Last edited by Shimagnolo; 10-15-08 at 01:41 PM.

  6. #6
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Gotta love it; State-of-the-art sealed bearings on the low-end stuff;
    Antiquated cone-and-ball on the high-end stuff.
    That is why I went with Centaur hubs on the Litespeed I built last spring.

    In 1997 I had ColoCyclist build a new pair of wheels for me with Phil Wood sealed-bearing hubs. The rims have been replaced several times since then. I have never touched the hubs. They are still as solid and silky-smooth as the day I received them. Why the hell would I want to go back to the obsolete design. I have better things to do with my time than fuss with hub bearings.
    "sealed bearing" is a bit of a misnomer -- it just means you can't service it. Maybe the higher quality of your Phil Wood bearings is the reason they're so smooth. The lower quality bearings on my veloce hubs haven't stood up to the cyclocross all that well. If they were "antiquated" I could just repack them and have them nearly as good as new. As it is, they're toast and I'm left trying to figure our what other bearings are compatible and just how exactly to R&R them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  7. #7
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
    It's possible that the bearings will be upgradeable as well. Campy has extensive spare parts lists and you can check between parts to see what is compatible. I don't know the various bearing diameters off hand but you can check here:

    http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

    A sweet upgrade would be the ceramic upgrade (CULT bearings) if they fit. CULT uses super hardened stainless races so they will last longer than the standard ceramic bearing units out there.

    cdr
    CDR, thanks for the help. It looks like my winners are "FH-MI113". Unfortunately google doesn't know anything about these. Any suggestions for finding compatible "upgraded" bearings? Should I just pop them out and look for letters/numbers that I can use to order online, or would a different route be more productive?
    thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    "sealed bearing" is a bit of a misnomer -- it just means you can't service it. Maybe the higher quality of your Phil Wood bearings is the reason they're so smooth. The lower quality bearings on my veloce hubs haven't stood up to the cyclocross all that well. If they were "antiquated" I could just repack them and have them nearly as good as new. As it is, they're toast and I'm left trying to figure our what other bearings are compatible and just how exactly to R&R them.
    In 1991 I bought a used touring bike that had seen many miles including a RAAM-style tour. It had Sugino hubs with sealed cartridge bearings that were loose. I pushed them out, then took them down to the local industrial supply shop and picked up a new set for just a few dollars.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    CDR, thanks for the help. It looks like my winners are "FH-MI113". Unfortunately google doesn't know anything about these. Any suggestions for finding compatible "upgraded" bearings? Should I just pop them out and look for letters/numbers that I can use to order online, or would a different route be more productive?
    thanks again
    Pop them out and read the type-codes off of them. This explains the codes:

    http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/how-to...-a-bearing.php

  10. #10
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Pop them out and read the type-codes off of them. This explains the codes:

    http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/how-to...-a-bearing.php
    thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    My Bikes
    Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try asking a shop that sells a lot of Campagnolo. Ochsner USA and Branford Bike are well known for small parts as well.

  12. #12
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6901 2RS

    that's the generic bearing I'm looking for. Branford has it listed on the website but it is "NA"

    I'll look at Ochsner
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  13. #13
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,703
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enduro should have them also..

    http://www.endurobearings.com/
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  14. #14
    sch
    sch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Posts
    2,614
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might try looking in your yellow pages under bearings for local bearing stores.
    Motion Industries is all over the place and with the bearing # you listed you
    have all you need. ABEC5 grade would likely gild the lily so to speak as would
    ceramic. Motion not likely to have ceramic as a walkin walkout but could
    order if you could wait a few days. The cheapest versions are almost
    certainly going to be chinese or indian derived so it pays to be particular.
    OTOH Motion or similar industrial suppliers don't sell to the bottom feeders
    and stock only good quality bearings. LBS is not going to be particular except
    for bling seekers so likely to have chinese bearings of unknown metallurgy
    with melamine for lube next to ceramics.

  15. #15
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sch View Post
    Might try looking in your yellow pages under bearings for local bearing stores.
    Motion Industries is all over the place and with the bearing # you listed you
    have all you need. ABEC5 grade would likely gild the lily so to speak as would
    ceramic. Motion not likely to have ceramic as a walkin walkout but could
    order if you could wait a few days. The cheapest versions are almost
    certainly going to be chinese or indian derived so it pays to be particular.
    OTOH Motion or similar industrial suppliers don't sell to the bottom feeders
    and stock only good quality bearings. LBS is not going to be particular except
    for bling seekers so likely to have chinese bearings of unknown metallurgy
    with melamine for lube next to ceramics.
    looks like there is a Motion Industries near where my wife works. Interesting. When I get around to doing this, I'll have pics and all that fun stuff as an attempted reward for everyone's help
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  16. #16
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,316
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    When I get around to doing this, I'll have pics and all that fun stuff as an attempted reward for everyone's help
    Uh, did you get to it yet?

    I'm looking at some Veloce front hubs I can get dirt cheap ($13) for wheel building; and am interested in the bearing-replacement question.

  17. #17
    Senior Member canopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Veloce front hubs also. they just press out and and in. Any bearing shop should be able to get the size in them.

    On the rear hubs you can get some mirage hubs on ebay right now for around 15-25 each, they are the same as a veloce hub only not as polished. i purchased a few that way so I could have some spares if needed.
    1984 Cannondale ST
    1985 Cannondale SR300
    1980 Gary Littlejohn Cruiser
    1984 Trek 760
    1981 Trek 710
    Pics

  18. #18
    Senior Member ClarkinHawaii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wahiawa. Oahu
    Posts
    1,316
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canopus View Post
    I purchased the Veloce front hubs also. they just press out and and in. Any bearing shop should be able to get the size in them.

    On the rear hubs you can get some mirage hubs on ebay right now for around 15-25 each, they are the same as a veloce hub only not as polished. i purchased a few that way so I could have some spares if needed.
    Good, Thanks!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    PNW lifer
    My Bikes
    2007 C-dale 63cm T series. My 1994 was a better design 1994 Bianchi 61cm El/OS Sachs 2004 Rodreguiz 26' UTB touring thing
    Posts
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't seem to find the Campagnolo part number FH-MI113 anywhere. Is the generic 6901 2RS equivalent?

    I like the look of the hub and don't want to chuck them.

  20. #20
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,842
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Gotta love it; State-of-the-art sealed bearings on the low-end stuff;
    Antiquated cone-and-ball on the high-end stuff.
    Cartridge bearings are hardly state of the art. It's a cheap off-the-rack solution.

    Cup and cone bearings are found on high-end gear cause it's a proper high-end way to do it, particularly if replacement cups are available.

    Fussing with hub bearings isn't something that ever takes me much time, but I always find it inordinately satisfying... an adjustable bearing is a thing of beauty that doesn't assume you're an idiot, and doesn't expect to be simply replaced at the first sign of trouble.

    And it uses less steel.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    My Bikes
    Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
    Posts
    4,987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by escii_35 View Post
    I can't seem to find the Campagnolo part number FH-MI113 anywhere. Is the generic 6901 2RS equivalent?

    I like the look of the hub and don't want to chuck them.
    All you need to do is meaure the bearing OD, the ID and the width. Compare that to the specs on the 6901, which is a real common bearing. You can get that bearing in many versions, that start at a few dollars each and go on up in price, depending on the precision of the bearing and the type of balls and race chosen. A 6901 bearing has a 24mm OD, 12mm ID and 6mm width.
    Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-02-11 at 09:02 AM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,151
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Gotta love it; State-of-the-art sealed bearings on the low-end stuff;
    Antiquated cone-and-ball on the high-end stuff.
    That is why I went with Centaur hubs on the Litespeed I built last spring.

    In 1997 I had ColoCyclist build a new pair of wheels for me with Phil Wood sealed-bearing hubs. The rims have been replaced several times since then. I have never touched the hubs. They are still as solid and silky-smooth as the day I received them. Why the hell would I want to go back to the obsolete design. I have better things to do with my time than fuss with hub bearings.
    There is nothing state of the art about radial bearings or ceramic bearing on a bicycle. Cup and cone are serviceable and last longer. Radial bearings need servicing also and are more difficult to work on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •