Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Benjamino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Lemond Poprad, Velosport Appalache
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Old Shimano Tech docs

    In a previous search I had found them, but now I am having considerably less luck. Does anybody here know where to look? I've tried the Shimano site, but I am looking for stuff from the early 80s. Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member z415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gainesville/Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.
    Posts
    2,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Falling is learning...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...learn to not fall in a box.
    Any good American will watch THIS -and- WHERE WAS MY BIKE MADE?

  3. #3
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,710
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamino View Post
    In a previous search I had found them, but now I am having considerably less luck. Does anybody here know where to look? I've tried the Shimano site, but I am looking for stuff from the early 80s. Thanks for your help.
    This isn't super-helpful, but does this help?
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/

    Is there anything in particular you're trying to figure out? I worked in a shop back then, and I thought the Shimano stuff was the bee's knees. I've grown up since then, though.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Steev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Backwoods of Ontario
    Posts
    2,129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a part number from a Shimano exploded view, try Googling that part number. I had a site from somewhere in Scandanavia that had dozens of old documents that I found by doing that. I had it bookmarked on an old work computer but didn't extract all my bookmarks before I left.

    Edit. Think I found it, looks like they've updated the site.
    http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/sh...hungen_archiv/
    Last edited by Steev; 10-19-08 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added link

  5. #5
    Senior Member Benjamino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Lemond Poprad, Velosport Appalache
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking specifically for BR-Z57, which is a Golden Arrow/105 caliper. The date code places it at Jan. '85. I'm trying to rebuild it for future use, but I'm having a hard time getting it so that the two arms stay parallel but without rubbing. An exploded view would really light my fire.

    Yeah, yeah, I know. Maybe I should have paid more attention when disassembling...

  6. #6
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,710
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamino View Post
    Yeah, yeah, I know. Maybe I should have paid more attention when disassembling...
    Um, yeah...

    In any case, the Z-series calipers weren't particularly robust even for back then. The "cheap sidepull" of choice was Dia-Compe.

    Here's a couple pictures of your beastie, but none that show the arm arrangement:
    http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleCo...m=117&AbsPos=5

    IIRC, there should be a plastic washer in between the two caliper arms. Is it there?

    If you really get stuck, I may have a spare Z-series caliper in my bin o' parts. I could send it to you if it's the same reach.

    (Old bike mechanics never die. They just disappear under their piles of parts.)
    Last edited by Jeff Wills; 10-19-08 at 10:00 PM.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamino View Post
    I'm looking specifically for BR-Z57, which is a Golden Arrow/105 caliper. The date code places it at Jan. '85. I'm trying to rebuild it for future use, but I'm having a hard time getting it so that the two arms stay parallel but without rubbing. An exploded view would really light my fire.

    Yeah, yeah, I know. Maybe I should have paid more attention when disassembling...
    They really should rub at the fully-expanded position. That's what keep the spring from fully expanding and making the arms stick out sideways. As long as they're not rubbing when compressed to operating width, then you're fine. Also adjust the locknut to take out the play, but not so tight that they return spring can't operate.

  8. #8
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z415 View Post
    I also have a torrent with a bunch of old stuff in it: http://www.demonoid.com/files/downlo...37255/15687865
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  9. #9
    Senior Member Benjamino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    My Bikes
    Lemond Poprad, Velosport Appalache
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. This all good info. The velobase site is pretty cool (ps-the link was dead). There is no plastic washer there, though there is a metal one... perhaps I've found the culprit. I'll dig around and see if I can find something that'll work.

    The whole issue is that when I tighten the lock-nut so that the arms aren't loose the calipers become too stiff to move.

    Thanks for all of the input. BFers rule!

  10. #10
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,710
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamino View Post
    Wow. This all good info. The velobase site is pretty cool (ps-the link was dead). There is no plastic washer there, though there is a metal one... perhaps I've found the culprit. I'll dig around and see if I can find something that'll work.

    The whole issue is that when I tighten the lock-nut so that the arms aren't loose the calipers become too stiff to move.

    Thanks for all of the input. BFers rule!
    Second try on the link:
    http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleCo...m=117&AbsPos=5

    IIRC, the metal washer is supposed to be under both arms, on top of the spring mount. There should be a (white?) plastic washer between the arms.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •