Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Maintaining chain using Boeshield T9

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Started using Boeshield T9 but after searching the forums for info on this lube more questions came up due to the fact that it seems to be like a wax but not quite. I was hoping someone could address the following questions:

1) Does regular degreaser remove T9? With regular lube I clean with either a solvent soaked rag or a chain cleaning device and relube. I'm not sure if this is that same with Boeshield T9. I've heard it suggested that T9 gets "gummy" if you reapply too often.

2) Is it common to develop a tar-like substance on you chain after switching to Boeshield T9?
Old 10-27-08, 07:35 PM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've used Boeshield T9 for years. It can get a bit of buildup if overapplied, might need to clean it more thoroughly occasionally with a degreaser or solvent, but I find that the solvents inherent in Boeshield (essentially a paraffin suspended in solvent) do a fine job of allowing a quick clean/relube with minimal effort.
I can't say I've had the tarry kind of buildup, waxy or gunky maybe...
Old 10-27-08, 07:43 PM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I've only recently started carrying Boeshield T9 in my bike-bag as a back-up lube. But I know many people - who turned me onto it - who have used it for years. All they did was say it was the best. They made no mention of any difficulties of any kind, and they are long-time cyclists who know which end of a spoke-wrench go where. So - no warnings or nothing. Just "best" quite a few times.

So...

(I swear some guys have a harder time picking a lube than a woman does choosing a dress to wear to a wedding! LOL)
Old 10-28-08, 11:25 AM
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use it all the time but a friend has complained about the gumminess. I must use a bit less and go longer between applications. I like it particularly for my Mountain Bike. I can ride in virtually any condition and the stuff just keeps on working.
Old 10-30-08, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all, it seems to be holding up well in the cold weather so far. No problems with the product except the price. Anyone know how to clean the Boeshield off the chain if required?