Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-08, 05:19 PM   #1
smurfy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
smurfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Painting A Frame With A Preval Bottle

I know the subject of painting has been beaten to death here on the forums, but I was wondering if anybody here used a "Preval" bottle to paint a frame. I didn't find anything in search.

For those who are unfamiliar with these things, a "Preval" (that's the brand name) bottle is simply a small glass jar with an aerosol "power unit" screwed to the top. The package they come in shows a bicycle (an old Cannondale mtn bike) that was painted red but I don't know if that was the whole frame or just parts and/or touch-up. You can apparently spray any kind of paint you want instead of doing "can jobs".

I work on military vehicles for a defense contractor and I use these everyday at work and they're great for touch up and stenciling. However the mil spec paint I use is flat and I haven't used these bottles for anything else. I asked my team leader if you can buy these retail and he said you can get them at Home Depot. You can also buy the power units separately when they get "spent" and keep using the same jar.

Anyway sorry for the long post but I'm wanting to use these on an old Schwinn tandem frame and wanted to see if it would achieve good results and how many power units I have to go through.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 06:11 PM   #2
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,111
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
These things sound like an "air brush" powered by a disposable pressure can rather than a compressor.

I assume they will spray any paint suitable for an air gun or air brush.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 10:25 PM   #3
Dr.Deltron
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
...wanting to use these on an old Schwinn tandem frame and wanted to see if it would achieve good results and how many power units I have to go through.
A tandem is tricky even with all the right paint & equipment.

Best results are acheived when you can get the last coat of clear on, all nice & wet and even!

My suggestion would be to start with 3-4 Prevals and the best primer you can get. When you've got it all primered well, you can detail & paint from there, but you will have some idea how many more Prevals you'll need.

You'd be better still to get a detail gun (8 ounce cup) instead of a case of Prevals. Then borrow or Craigs List a compressor. Use quality auto paint and you WILL get good results.

Maybe you'll find this inspiring....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/owhn/se...7608666766179/
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 12:34 AM   #4
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron View Post
Maybe you'll find this inspiring....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/owhn/se...7608666766179/
Wow....

'He's an artist, a pioneer, got to have some tandems on the new frontier' Steely Dan (almost)
Iowegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 09:15 AM   #5
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito
 
urban_assault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've used Preval bottles in the past. Like stated above, a detail gun works better. That said, the Preval was quick, easy, and you can mix your own colors.

+1 on using quality auto paint. Also, prepping the frame well is extremely important for a good finish.

Dr. Deltron seems like the guy to talk to about all this.

I used House of Kolor paints for the most part.



Just in case anyone wanted to see what it was exactly..


Last edited by urban_assault; 11-08-08 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added photo
urban_assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 09:17 AM   #6
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito
 
urban_assault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron View Post
A tandem is tricky even with all the right paint & equipment.

Best results are acheived when you can get the last coat of clear on, all nice & wet and even!

My suggestion would be to start with 3-4 Prevals and the best primer you can get. When you've got it all primered well, you can detail & paint from there, but you will have some idea how many more Prevals you'll need.

You'd be better still to get a detail gun (8 ounce cup) instead of a case of Prevals. Then borrow or Craigs List a compressor. Use quality auto paint and you WILL get good results.

Maybe you'll find this inspiring....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/owhn/se...7608666766179/

Awesome paint on that tandem. Great work.
urban_assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 AM.