Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-08, 03:22 PM   #1
Steve88
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes: Takara Prestige, Nishiki Century
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mounting Rear Derailleur on Nishiki Century

I recently picked up a Nishiki Century road bike (large frame). The rear derailleur was not mounted when I got it, it was just hanging on the chain. I took the chain off, and cleaned the derailleur. The problem is, I'm not sure how it's supposed to mount on the frame. There doesn't seem to be any holes to bolt it on. I'm including a picture of both the mounting point and the derailleur.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0821.jpg (93.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0822.jpg (97.9 KB, 26 views)
Steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 05:13 PM   #2
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The DER hanger is pointing the wrong way.
I'm guessing this isn't the original DER?
The hanger has a hole for the hanger mounting bolt, but the drop out doesn't.
At least, the eyelet doesn't look like it's lined up well enough with the drop out, but you could try it.

It appears, you're pretty much stuck with using the axle nut to hold the DER in place.
Are the drop outs "open" enough to even take an axle?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 11-09-08 at 05:19 PM.
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 05:46 PM   #3
Steve88
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes: Takara Prestige, Nishiki Century
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The hanger isn't backwards I don't think, I was just holding it upside down. As to whether it's original or not, I don't have any idea.

The mounting bolt hole and the eyelet do not line up at all. I tried using the axle nut to hold it, but that didn't work very well, because there are two strange bumps on the hanger that keep it from being flush with the dropout. Would it work to make a hole in the dropout to line up with the mounting hole?

Last edited by Steve88; 11-09-08 at 05:53 PM.
Steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 06:05 PM   #4
vettefrc2000
Senior Member
 
vettefrc2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere North of Detroit and moving fast!
Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
I recently picked up a Nishiki Century road bike (large frame). The rear derailleur was not mounted when I got it, it was just hanging on the chain. I took the chain off, and cleaned the derailleur. The problem is, I'm not sure how it's supposed to mount on the frame. There doesn't seem to be any holes to bolt it on. I'm including a picture of both the mounting point and the derailleur.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

The little hole should capture a D-nut that centers the derailleur hanger on the dropout. Go to your LBS to get one or just have them mount it.
Derailleur Part Pyramid Bracket Bolt/Nut Small Only

Last edited by vettefrc2000; 11-09-08 at 06:14 PM.
vettefrc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 06:21 PM   #5
vettefrc2000
Senior Member
 
vettefrc2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere North of Detroit and moving fast!
Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
The hanger isn't backwards I don't think, I was just holding it upside down. As to whether it's original or not, I don't have any idea.

The mounting bolt hole and the eyelet do not line up at all. I tried using the axle nut to hold it, but that didn't work very well, because there are two strange bumps on the hanger that keep it from being flush with the dropout. Would it work to make a hole in the dropout to line up with the mounting hole?
Amazon.com has them for $.95
vettefrc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 06:56 PM   #6
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could be wrong, but it looks like the little bumps are meant to sit in the back of the slot in the dropout and are meant to stop the claw pivoting around the axle. They take the place of the D nut, except they won't keep the derailler in place with the wheel removed.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 07:29 PM   #7
dcullen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks like the little bumps are meant to sit in the back of the slot in the dropout and are meant to stop the claw pivoting around the axle. They take the place of the D nut, except they won't keep the derailler in place with the wheel removed.
The bumps position the d-nut and keep it from rotating
dcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-08, 11:46 PM   #8
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefrc2000 View Post
The little hole should capture a D-nut that centers the derailleur hanger on the dropout. Go to your LBS to get one or just have them mount it.
Derailleur Part Pyramid Bracket Bolt/Nut Small Only
Exactly. It should end up looking like this:

(From http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#adaptor )

The D-nut sits at the back of the dropout slot. The two bumps on the derailleur hanger keep the hanger from rotating when the wheel is out of the bike. When the wheel is on the bike the axle holds everything together.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 11:01 AM   #9
JTGraphics
Senior Member
 
JTGraphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When done it should look like this.
__________________
It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm
JTGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-08, 11:41 AM   #10
Steve88
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Bikes: Takara Prestige, Nishiki Century
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the help! I'll pick up a D-nut on my next trip to the bike shop.
Steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 AM.