Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    My Bikes
    1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia, 198? Raleigh Team 753, NOS Tesch 101, 1983 Peugeot Mixte
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Campagnolo Tool Kit

    What's the value of a Campagnolo tool kit for older (NR-SR) bikes these days?

    Anybody know?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,477
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by satbuilder View Post
    What's the value of a Campagnolo tool kit for older (NR-SR) bikes these days?

    Anybody know?

    Thanks.
    An Italian thread, reduced kit just sold on eBay for US $1,795.00. I've seen full kits go for $2k-$3k depending on condition.

    Most people who have these seem to be holding onto them. Are you thinking of selling one?

  3. #3
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking about the 3380, about a year ago, I saw one that was complete and hardly used sell locally (San Francisco) for $4,000.

    I've no idea if this was what they ordinarily sell for or if it was an anomoly.

    - Stan

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    My Bikes
    1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia, 198? Raleigh Team 753, NOS Tesch 101, 1983 Peugeot Mixte
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    An Italian thread, reduced kit just sold on eBay for US $1,795.00. I've seen full kits go for $2k-$3k depending on condition.

    Most people who have these seem to be holding onto them. Are you thinking of selling one?

    Actually the way the economy was going, I was thinking of buying one. Beats a 401k these days and more fun!

  5. #5
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those belong in a cycling museum, not in a bike shop though. Campy makes beautiful tools, which cost 10X too much. I have ONE Campy tool: A wrench for removing dust-caps on older Record pedals.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  6. #6
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,477
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    Those belong in a cycling museum, not in a bike shop though. Campy makes beautiful tools, which cost 10X too much. I have ONE Campy tool: A wrench for removing dust-caps on older Record pedals.
    I still use mine regularly. But then again, all my bikes would fall under the "classic & vintage" rubric.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,458
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    Those belong in a cycling museum, not in a bike shop though. Campy makes beautiful tools, which cost 10X too much. I have ONE Campy tool: A wrench for removing dust-caps on older Record pedals.
    +1 on the 10X too costly. Campy also designs components to use tools NO ONE else makes and then obsoletes them with the next design change.

    I have a pair of Campy double end cone wrenches that I bought from a the close-out table at an LBS several years ago. Nice but certainly not worth their former new cost.

    BTW, I remember the Campy Full Tool Set, either English or Italian, selling new for about $3500 several years ago so it doesn't sound like they've appreciated much if at all.

  8. #8
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,477
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    +1 on the 10X too costly. Campy also designs components to use tools NO ONE else makes and then obsoletes them with the next design change.

    I have a pair of Campy double end cone wrenches that I bought from a the close-out table at an LBS several years ago. Nice but certainly not worth their former new cost.

    BTW, I remember the Campy Full Tool Set, either English or Italian, selling new for about $3500 several years ago so it doesn't sound like they've appreciated much if at all.
    FWIW, I bought mine new in 1984 for $1200.

    And I don't understand your comment that "Campy also designs components to use tools NO ONE else makes and then obsoletes them with the next design change". The tools in the Campy kit were industry standard and did not change significantly for over 2 decades -- so much so that virtually every other company, including Shimano, SunTour, and all the 2nd tier Italian companies copied Campy's designs and tools for their own components.
    Last edited by JohnDThompson; 02-13-09 at 09:04 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,458
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reference to the excessive cost and unique design of Campy tools wasn't limited to their older tool sets but to many of their more recent items. Sure, the older tools became industry standards but that wasn't my point.

    How about Campy's specific, and very expensive, chain tools that they claim were essential and then replaced with another "essential", but different, chain tool a few months later?

    How about the 3.5 mm allen key needed for one of their components? Find one of those at Home Depot.

    How about the left-hand threaded crank arm extractor that only fit one side of the crank and was used only for one model?

  10. #10
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is called 'proprietary design' - where a company makes something that can only be worked on with tools the same company manufactures. Shimano was screaming, bloody, guilty of this in the early 1980's. They were booed (and pelted with objects) at a trade-show in Los Angeles in '82-3 as bike-mechanics/shops had to shell out around $400/year for tools to work on Shimano's latest gruppo.

    This behavior, though limited, continues unabated today. Point in case: The new Ultegra Hollowtech II cranks require a Shimano wrench to tighten the cap on the left side crank-arm. Campagnolo does similar. Take my Campy dust-cap wrench for Record pedals in the 1980's as an example.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  11. #11
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,477
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    My reference to the excessive cost and unique design of Campy tools wasn't limited to their older tool sets but to many of their more recent items. Sure, the older tools became industry standards but that wasn't my point.
    Ok, but why bring that up when the original question was explicitly referring to the vintage tool kits?

  12. #12
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just boils up and flows through the fingers?
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    My Bikes
    1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia, 198? Raleigh Team 753, NOS Tesch 101, 1983 Peugeot Mixte
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    My reference to the excessive cost and unique design of Campy tools wasn't limited to their older tool sets but to many of their more recent items. Sure, the older tools became industry standards but that wasn't my point.

    How about Campy's specific, and very expensive, chain tools that they claim were essential and then replaced with another "essential", but different, chain tool a few months later?

    How about the 3.5 mm allen key needed for one of their components? Find one of those at Home Depot.

    How about the left-hand threaded crank arm extractor that only fit one side of the crank and was used only for one model?
    Yeah, I remember that 3.5 mm allen key. It was used for the Delta brakes on the Tesch 101 I once had. Unfortunately it didn't come in the brake kit so it had to go to a local specialty shop and I had to pay some mechanic to adjust my brakes. Wasn't happy about that. Sort of why I'm looking for a kit...

    Original question was for the older kit, for the older simpler design, made for simpler times, and simpler people, like me....

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,458
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Ok, but why bring that up when the original question was explicitly referring to the vintage tool kits?
    I was supporting the comment that Campy tools, in general, not just vintage, are much more expensive than any others for no perceived advantage.

    Oh, and since when is thread drift not accepted on this forum?

  15. #15
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,477
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by satbuilder View Post
    Yeah, I remember that 3.5 mm allen key. It was used for the Delta brakes on the Tesch 101 I once had. Unfortunately it didn't come in the brake kit so it had to go to a local specialty shop and I had to pay some mechanic to adjust my brakes. Wasn't happy about that. Sort of why I'm looking for a kit...

    Original question was for the older kit, for the older simpler design, made for simpler times, and simpler people, like me....
    Good enough, but that 3.5mm Allen wrench is not part of the stock Campy tool kit.

  16. #16
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,477
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I was supporting the comment that Campy tools, in general, not just vintage, are much more expensive than any others for no perceived advantage.
    The frame prep tools (i.e. taps, facers, etc.) were top quality and often the reason for buying the Campy tool kit in the first place. The other tools were just icing on the cake.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,458
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    The frame prep tools (i.e. taps, facers, etc.) were top quality and often the reason for buying the Campy tool kit in the first place. The other tools were just icing on the cake.
    No argument there. Campy tools are very high quality and always have been. The question is do they justify the extremely high cost compared with tools having the same utilitarian value (Var, Park, etc.) at much lower prices. Does the extra "quality" pay any dividends to justify the price?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TORONTO , ONT , CA
    My Bikes
    '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one forced me to buy SNAP-ON, MILWAUKEE, RIDGID, LINCOLN, OR even OXWELD;

    buying "The Best', means that you never have to deal with it again.


    Regards,
    J T

  19. #19
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A salesman could make a killing around these parts...
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  20. #20
    Senior Member (Retired) gmason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Great North Woods
    My Bikes
    Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have their best tool ever. Highest quality, like all of what they make. It will last for my lifetime and more. I open wine bottles with it all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Custom Custom Custom
    Posts
    5,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J T CUNNINGHAM View Post
    No one forced me to buy SNAP-ON, MILWAUKEE, RIDGID, LINCOLN, OR even OXWELD;

    buying "The Best', means that you never have to deal with it again.


    Regards,
    J T
    Well said! Buy once, buy the best!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,458
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    A salesman could make a killing around these parts...
    I sounds like he already has.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TORONTO , ONT , CA
    My Bikes
    '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.
    Posts
    746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vendors were all happy when I left! (LOL)

    Regards,
    J T

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •