8, 9, 10 speed mix-and-match
So my current set up is a melting pot of different road components at different levels:
Sora 8 speed Shifters (Triple)
Tiagra Front Derailleur
Ultegra Rear Derailleur
7 speed cassette 12 - 28t with 4.0mm ghost spacer
8 speed chain
Truvativ Rouleur 10 speed Crankset 53/39t 172.5mm
and EVERYTHING works PERFECTLY Fine!
Except there is a little chain rub when the front is on 39t and rear on 11t (no one should get that combination anyway).
Anyway I have spotted a great deal on some 10 speed Ultegra STI. I would like to ask you guys before getting in to any unnecessarily expensive experiment:
Is it possible to make the 10 speed shifters to work on a 7 speed cassette with 3 ghost spaces if I:
1. Pull out all spacers from a 10 speed cassette (3.95mm).
2. substitute my 7 speed spacers (5.0mm) with 3.95mm spacers.
3. Take up the extra spaces with aftermarket single speed spacers (they are cheap!)
4. Adjust the rear derailleur low limit screw.
I know this sound pretty extreme, but I already get a 7 speed cassette to work with a 8 speed shifter with 1 ghost space, why not 3 'ghost' gears? Theoretically the chainline will be straighter than before!
The limiting factors are:
1. Can the derailleur be set to a low limit that is THAT far (toward the HIGH) away from the wheel.
2. Are the thickness of 10 speed cogs the same as 8 speed cogs?
I just wanna know what you guys thing coz I dont wanna throw away my 7 speed cassette since it is still relatively new (less than 2500 miles)