Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-09, 05:06 PM   #1
Naister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recommend me a work stand

I work (on a high school team) with Solar Bikes. They are normal road bikes with hub motors/solar panels/batteries. We need to get a work stand that can handle these. I have not been able to find any useful weight limits for work stands available.
Our bikes weigh around 70-80lbs with everything in, and the weight can be dramatically reduced by removing the batteries. (not sure how much)
Even without the batteries, there is the hub motor and solar panels
(just to give you an idea, we're using various iterations of the Cannondale Caad series, with our newest bike being a Caad 8)

So if there are any stands you know can take a lot of weight, we would be glad to know about them.
Thanks!
Naister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 05:45 PM   #2
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,048
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naister View Post
I work (on a high school team) with Solar Bikes. They are normal road bikes with hub motors/solar panels/batteries. We need to get a work stand that can handle these. I have not been able to find any useful weight limits for work stands available.
Our bikes weigh around 70-80lbs with everything in, and the weight can be dramatically reduced by removing the batteries. (not sure how much)
Even without the batteries, there is the hub motor and solar panels
(just to give you an idea, we're using various iterations of the Cannondale Caad series, with our newest bike being a Caad 8)

So if there are any stands you know can take a lot of weight, we would be glad to know about them.
Thanks!
Although it's expensive, the Park PRS-3 would probably be your best bet for that kind of weight. I don't think the PRS-4 (the folding home use stand) would hold that much weight up easily without falling over. Perhaps if you added sandbags over the legs which you might need with the PRS-3 anyway.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 05:53 PM   #3
ccdisce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Stone Mtn
Bikes: too many
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my bikes I use a Park Stand for cleaning.
For building and spinning I use a Cateye Cyclosimulator cs1000 which can hold the bike(15lb) +me (140lb)

Has been MD but should be able to find a used one.
ccdisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 06:10 PM   #4
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
Although it's expensive, the Park PRS-3 would probably be your best bet for that kind of weight. I don't think the PRS-4 (the folding home use stand) would hold that much weight up easily without falling over. Perhaps if you added sandbags over the legs which you might need with the PRS-3 anyway.
I agree. You need a professional stand for the load you're describing. Park stands are the standard of the industry. I hope your school can throw a bake-sale or something. We're talking a couple hundred dollars - but who knows? You might be able to talk a shop into selling you one for less if you play the "Good Cause" card.
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 06:31 PM   #5
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,976
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a home owners level of Parks Work Stand (PCS-1), it would not handle the weight. I recently picked up a Spin Doctor Pro (off Craigs List). This is the stand that Performance has put on sale many times for around $150. This stand is much stronger, and more stable than the Parks stand.

I pretty much am always working on a couple of bikes, so I use both stands, but I much prefer the Spin Doctor Pro.

If you can swing the cost, the pro Parks stands are all great, but they are expensive.
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 08:14 PM   #6
Naister
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a higher-end Park Tool would do the job.
We have lots n lots of money (well not really) but we can spare a couple hundred. We go to Missouri every year for a race and we go to Japan every few years (thats what we spend most of our money on).

Would anyone recommend getting one of the wall-mount clamps and then building a base for it? Seems like it could be made to handle more weight.

I personally have a PCS-1, and I think it would probably tip over/not be stable even with sandbags.

The cyclosimulator is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. We actually have one in our back room.
Naister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 09:17 PM   #7
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naister View Post
Sounds like a higher-end Park Tool would do the job.
We have lots n lots of money (well not really) but we can spare a couple hundred. We go to Missouri every year for a race and we go to Japan every few years (thats what we spend most of our money on).

Would anyone recommend getting one of the wall-mount clamps and then building a base for it? Seems like it could be made to handle more weight.

I personally have a PCS-1, and I think it would probably tip over/not be stable even with sandbags.

The cyclosimulator is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. We actually have one in our back room.
If I was you, i'd find a place where I could put something like this:



Supposing that I didn't actually need the stand to be portable. Mount that on a bench and you have an extremely sturdy clamp/stand.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 09:31 AM   #8
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,048
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naister View Post
Sounds like a higher-end Park Tool would do the job.
We have lots n lots of money (well not really) but we can spare a couple hundred. We go to Missouri every year for a race and we go to Japan every few years (thats what we spend most of our money on).

Would anyone recommend getting one of the wall-mount clamps and then building a base for it? Seems like it could be made to handle more weight.

I personally have a PCS-1, and I think it would probably tip over/not be stable even with sandbags.

The cyclosimulator is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. We actually have one in our back room.
The other stand I was suggesting was the PCS-4 which is similar to your PCS-1 but it's a bit more rugged. I don't think that a PCS-1 clamp would be up to the kind of weight and weird torque your solar panels and batteries would put on the stand.

The PRS-4 is the bench mount and could be made into a good permanently mounted stand. Do a google and you'll find some PRS-4 for around $200

You could get the PCS-4 and cut the top off, weld it to something else and make a very rugged stand. But that would cost you about as much as just buying the PRS-3...around $300

Or you could just sandbag the legs of a PCS-4 so that it would take the weight without tipping over.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 01:05 PM   #9
jccaclimber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
Bikes: n, I would like n+1
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd go with the clamp and have someone weld up a frame or bolt it to a bench. I think the home versions of the stand will work IF you weight the feet with sand bags. The stands themselves will not break, just fall over.
jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:53 AM.