I recently purchased a used Huffy "Premier 12-Speed". However, it appears the brakes are relatively ancient, and I've had some difficulty finding instructions on how to adjust them. They seem to shift on the pivot (left to right, whenever the brakes are applied).
The Mounting Bolt seems to be a thinner bolt and has a rounded nut at the end, and doesn't have a newer-style recessed Mounting Bolt.
- Does anyone happen to know what the brake type is called (specifically)?
- Would you recommend replacing them, or simply adjusting them?
- How does one adjust these?
- Is replacing them with newer brakes a drop-in replacement, or will I need to modify the frame in some way (e.g., enlarge the mounting hole)?
- Is there a way to date this bicycle (I was unable to find a serial number)?
Any other recommendations are appreciated. I am not a serious biker, but will be using the bicycle for occasional trips to work once the weather improves.