Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Servicing XT Rapidfire shifters?

    Can they be taken apart to clean and regrease without requiring a Japanese engineering degree? I'm refurbing a bike with them and although they work with no issues they're much tighter than I'd like/think they should be. I've done the Alivios and Deores with no issues, but these are obviously sealed up more. Thanks.

    -R

  2. #2
    Map maker cbchess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had NO luck with shimano shifters. It seems they are set up to explode in to 250 parts that can never quite be put back together. seems like your shifter just need to break in a bit, or perhaps a few drops of Prolink or Shimano Slippery Spitt Wet Lube?
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200278_200312

  3. #3
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess View Post
    I have had NO luck with shimano shifters. It seems they are set up to explode in to 250 parts that can never quite be put back together. seems like your shifter just need to break in a bit, or perhaps a few drops of Prolink or Shimano Slippery Spitt Wet Lube?
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200278_200312
    Thanks. Not a break in thing, the shifters are the originals from 2001. Was able to clean the brake portion out, but the shifter pods I think have mice in them still

  4. #4
    gbg
    gbg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grid Reference, SK
    My Bikes
    I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
    Posts
    3,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleaning/degreasing and re-lubing with light oil is the most common fix.

    You say you are refurbing the bike so I assume you have had the shifters disconnected, but might the extra friction be caused by the cables? Or perhaps by bad cable routing?

    If the shifters ever stop working (ie. you have nothing to lose), then try taking them completely apart... it will very likely be the last time you try it

  6. #6
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blast them out with this and either clean and lube the cables or replace them, then lube all the derailleur pivot points.

    If that doesn't free them up, it's time to replace them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  7. #7
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
    Cleaning/degreasing and re-lubing with light oil is the most common fix.

    You say you are refurbing the bike so I assume you have had the shifters disconnected, but might the extra friction be caused by the cables? Or perhaps by bad cable routing?

    If the shifters ever stop working (ie. you have nothing to lose), then try taking them completely apart... it will very likely be the last time you try it
    Not the cables or the routing, new Jagwire Ripcords that are smooth as silk. But on these shifters you don't have to disassemble to change the cable, just pop an access screw and they slide out. But with them came some grit which I'm sure is the root of the problem. Bike obviously spent part of it's life in the blazing sun.

    They shift correctly with no issues, just very "tight" I'd say they require twice the effort of a Deore set I have on another bike. I may be expecting something different which is a distinct possibility also.

  8. #8
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    They shift correctly with no issues, just very "tight" I'd say they require twice the effort of a Deore set I have on another bike. I may be expecting something different which is a distinct possibility also.
    Try spraying them out with lube until it runs out the bottom of the shifter. It'll wipe out grit and add lubricant.

    I figure the inside is just like a lock mechanism, so graphite spray makes sense. It doesn't dry out or gum up. If there's old dried out lube in there making them sticky, the solvent removes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  9. #9
    Call me The Breeze I_bRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Corbyville Ontario
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
    Posts
    3,699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intresting idea on the graphite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •