I came. I saw. I Conquered.
Today I opened up my Suntour 5SPD freewheel to see truly how difficult they are to service. I share here my story hopefully to encourage other tinkerer's to go bravely into the depths of the pawls! Firstoff, I took cues straight from Sheldon Brown's blurb on freewheel service. I spent an hour hammering the spanner hole in the wrong direction(lol), because I was convinced the threads were opposite of the spinning mechanism. Hush...I was working on my freewheel off the hub. Learn from my mistake, place it on the wheel! From there with my hammer and punch it was really easy to remove the bearing cone. I recommend taking these apart just for tinkerer's kicks, because there are 36 1/8' bearings in the top row alone! Ohhhh! Ahhhh! I placed a large sheet below me to catch all the loose bearings. Definitely a must if you're removing the cluster. From there I removed the 3 washers, took off the body revealing the 40 additional 1/8' bearings. After collecting all of them from the floor, cleaning them thoroughly I generously applied grease to the bottom row and placed the bearings back in, added a little oil to the pawls and placed the clustere carefully over the two pawls, finger holding down one, sliding easily back on. Not difficult at all, I found no need for a rubber band, but I can't testify for the 3 pawl freewheels. From there I reassembled everything. The bearing cone(cover) was a little stubborn at first, but I applied pressure and used my punch to turn it counter-clockwise and back to normal, new and improved it was!
All in all, I'd give it a 7 on the difficulty scale. If you're a confident tinkerer this is should be an easy repair
Bonus: After resassembly I spun the freewheel and that annoying clicking sound was quite dampened. Next project I'm going to service my shimano uniglide cassette it has a really loud click! It makes it hard to cycle stalk people
Bicycle Freewheels: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html#replace