Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Biking_Lawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Big Crown Race and Silly LBS

    I hope this is an easy one. I purchased a brand new 1 inch threadless 650 cc fork from chuckbikes before it closed for use on a recumbent bike I am building. I ordered a 1 inch Ritchey logic threadless headset to use with it, but the crown race is too big i.e. its diameter is wider than the steerer seat on the fork and I cannot get a tight fit.

    I took the fork to a LBS yesterday and the teenage mechanic told me that they do not make parts for this size of fork anymore.

    Obviously, the kid was a moron. I am assuming there is some other standardized headset size for a 1 inch threadless fork. If so, what is it and where can I get one?

    Alternatively, I do have a crown race from an old headset that fits on the fork. Can I use this, or will I have problems due to the size discrepency with the lower bearings? It seems to seat alrright with the little plastic ring once the preload is adjusted.


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,814
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1" threaded headsets (and forks/frames) come in two different sizes, JIS and ISO. The JIS crown race is 27.0 mm ID and the ISO is 26.4 mm so apparently you have a JIS race and an ISO fork

    ISO is now almost universal but JIS was used on older Japanese bikes. It's JIS that is now the rare bird, not ISO.

    I presume your fork takes the ISO size race and the headset you got is JIS so you will have to return the headset and get the correct configuration. As a rule, crown races are specific to a given model headset. They are not a universal item.

  3. #3
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,992
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    1" threaded headsets (and forks/frames) come in two different sizes, JIS and ISO. The JIS crown race is 27.0 mm ID and the ISO is 26.4 mm so apparently you have a JIS race and an ISO fork

    ISO is now almost universal but JIS was used on older Japanese bikes. It's JIS that is now the rare bird, not ISO.

    I presume your fork takes the ISO size race and the headset you got is JIS so you will have to return the headset and get the correct configuration. As a rule, crown races are specific to a given model headset. They are not a universal item.
    Yes but, he said his headset was threadless. As far as I know, they only come in ISO.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    1" threaded headsets (and forks/frames) come in two different sizes, JIS and ISO. The JIS crown race is 27.0 mm ID and the ISO is 26.4 mm so apparently you have a JIS race and an ISO fork

    ISO is now almost universal but JIS was used on older Japanese bikes. It's JIS that is now the rare bird, not ISO.

    I presume your fork takes the ISO size race and the headset you got is JIS so you will have to return the headset and get the correct configuration. As a rule, crown races are specific to a given model headset. They are not a universal item.
    What HillRider says is pretty much true...however...

    1. You'll find generic steel headsets to have a lot of interchangeability in parts including races.
    2. The same applies to very cheap no-name or unrecognizable Taiwan name generic alloy headsets.

    If what you want is a quality or high-end headset - gonna be more of a challenge.

    =8-)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Biking_Lawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just trying to get the bike functional. I thought the problem would that the fork would be an off-size, as you can buy Ritchey headsets everywhere (It also would have been nice for them to tell me what size the crown race was BEFORE I purchased it).

    I'm fine with using the existing crown race with the remainder of the new headset if that will work. I was just worried there would be some compatibility problems or that the plastic ring thingy (sorry, I dont know the proper name for it) that came with the new headset would crack on the smaller race.

  6. #6
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,992
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking_Lawyer View Post
    I am just trying to get the bike functional. I thought the problem would that the fork would be an off-size, as you can buy Ritchey headsets everywhere (It also would have been nice for them to tell me what size the crown race was BEFORE I purchased it).

    I'm fine with using the existing crown race with the remainder of the new headset if that will work. I was just worried there would be some compatibility problems or that the plastic ring thingy (sorry, I dont know the proper name for it) that came with the new headset would crack on the smaller race.
    How much too big is the crown race? is there detectable play when fully in place, or is it just that there is no interference fit and you can slide it on by hand? If it is the former,an assembly compound like Loctite 680 will work to hold it in place.
    There should be no ISO/JIS issues with a threadless headset and fork, as, like I said before, they are all ISO. Sounds like poor quality control on the part of the fork manufacturer. They may have undersized the mounting seat. Easy enough to check with a digital caliper or micrometer.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,814
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Yes but, he said his headset was threadless. As far as I know, they only come in ISO.
    Point taken. I don't know why I read "threaded" in the OP. Right, all threadless 1" headsets are ISO.

  8. #8
    cycles per second Gonzo Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Vitus Aluminum, DiamondBack Apex, Softride Powerwing 700, "Generic" Ishiwata 022, Trek OCLV 110
    Posts
    1,790
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Yes but, he said his headset was threadless. As far as I know, they only come in ISO.
    Actually, there are a couple of JIS threadless headsets. Someone here was searching for one a couple of months ago and found one - I think it was a Ritchey Logic, too. headset for 2008 Kona Kapu build

    EDIT: To OP - sounds like your original headset was ISO but the new one is JIS. Note that the cup diameter for JIS is 30.0mm while ISO is 30.2mm. This means there is a small chance that JIS cups in an ISO headtube may be too loose which could result in headtube damage over the years. I recommend determining the size you need and getting that.
    Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 05-22-09 at 05:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,992
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob View Post
    Actually, there are a couple of JIS threadless headsets. Someone here was searching for one a couple of months ago and found one - I think it was a Ritchey Logic, too. headset for 2008 Kona Kapu build

    EDIT: To OP - sounds like your original headset was ISO but the new one is JIS. Note that the cup diameter for JIS is 30.0mm while ISO is 30.2mm. This means there is a small chance that JIS cups in an ISO headtube may be too loose which could result in headtube damage over the years. I recommend determining the size you need and getting that.
    Well, Shazam, ya really do learn something every day. Thanks for that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,814
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Well, Shazam, ya really do learn something every day. Thanks for that.
    Me too. I guess these are for riders converting older JIS threaded headsets and forks to threadless. I expect the required headset is "mixed" using JIS cups and an ISO crownrace since I can't believe anyone made a JIS size threadless fork.

  11. #11
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear in mind that since the standards are so close in size, one may be able to either face the crown race seat down, or knurl it to accept the larger standard. The shortcoming is in the shop's knowledge or lack of the appropriate tools, not the parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •