Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member ciriarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Okinawa
    My Bikes
    08 Motobecane Immortal Force, 06 Focus Black Forest Xtracycle, 02 GT Aggressor 1.0; 09 Bike Friday Pocket Sport
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Alfine Wheel Build

    I'm planning on building a wheel with an Alfine 8-spd hub and Alex TD17 rims (36H); after an exhaustive internet search, I've finally found the data I need to calculate the spoke length (parts not yet in hand), but I'm unable to find the hub spoke hole diameter.

    Can anyone who's buillt an Alfine-hubbed wheel offer some advice/recommend a spoke?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciriarte View Post
    I'm planning on building a wheel with an Alfine 8-spd hub and Alex TD17 rims (36H); after an exhaustive internet search, I've finally found the data I need to calculate the spoke length (parts not yet in hand), but I'm unable to find the hub spoke hole diameter.

    Can anyone who's buillt an Alfine-hubbed wheel offer some advice/recommend a spoke?

    Thanks,
    Chris
    Are you asking about the spoke circle diameter, or the actual hole. I have built one with DT Alpine spokes which are 13 g at the elbow with no problem.
    The spoke circle dia. is the same as a nexus 8. I've used Damon Rinard's calculator several times for Alfine hubs, and just use Nexus 8 roller brake data.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hei,

    I use this Shimano dimension chart.

  4. #4
    Member ciriarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Okinawa
    My Bikes
    08 Motobecane Immortal Force, 06 Focus Black Forest Xtracycle, 02 GT Aggressor 1.0; 09 Bike Friday Pocket Sport
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Alfine Wheel Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Are you asking about the spoke circle diameter, or the actual hole. I have built one with DT Alpine spokes which are 13 g at the elbow with no problem.
    The spoke circle dia. is the same as a nexus 8. I've used Damon Rinard's calculator several times for Alfine hubs, and just use Nexus 8 roller brake data.
    Thanks Dan. I was speaking of the hole diameter, not the PCD. So a 13g fit ... that's the info I was looking for! I'm putting this on a cargo bike, so I want to make this wheel as robust as possible.

    Chris

  5. #5
    Member ciriarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Okinawa
    My Bikes
    08 Motobecane Immortal Force, 06 Focus Black Forest Xtracycle, 02 GT Aggressor 1.0; 09 Bike Friday Pocket Sport
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Alfine Wheel Build

    Quote Originally Posted by hartsu View Post
    Hei,

    I use this Shimano dimension chart.
    Thanks, hartsu. Unfortunately, for some reason Shimano did not include the spoke hole diameter in that chart.

    Chris

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is going to be about 2mm. Honestly, any error in that calculation isn't going to be the deciding factor on the length of your spokes.

  7. #7
    Member ciriarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Okinawa
    My Bikes
    08 Motobecane Immortal Force, 06 Focus Black Forest Xtracycle, 02 GT Aggressor 1.0; 09 Bike Friday Pocket Sport
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Alfine Wheel Build

    Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    It is going to be about 2mm. Honestly, any error in that calculation isn't going to be the deciding factor on the length of your spokes.
    Hi jccaclimber,

    I wasn't worried about the length; I want to make this wheel as strong as possible, and I was worried about getting too thick a spoke that wouldn't fit through the hole.

    As far as a strong wheel, would a double or triple butted spoke be OK on a cargo bike rear wheel, or should I go with a straight gauge?

    Chris

  8. #8
    Senior Member vredstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    My Bikes
    '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many ways, a double-butted spoke will be more durable. Spokes break at the threads or elbows. The threads and elbows of straight and double-butted spokes of the same gauge are the same. Butting allows the spoke to stretch, absorbing stress, where a straight gauge spoke transfers all the stress onto the elbow. Straight-gauge cost less, and simplify the build since they won't twist as much once you get close to final tension.
    "See, it's not that getting wet is a big deal. Really, it's what you're getting wet with.
    Fenders....because it's probably urine."
    Bike Snob NYC

  9. #9
    Member ciriarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Okinawa
    My Bikes
    08 Motobecane Immortal Force, 06 Focus Black Forest Xtracycle, 02 GT Aggressor 1.0; 09 Bike Friday Pocket Sport
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vredstein View Post
    In many ways, a double-butted spoke will be more durable. Spokes break at the threads or elbows. The threads and elbows of straight and double-butted spokes of the same gauge are the same. Butting allows the spoke to stretch, absorbing stress, where a straight gauge spoke transfers all the stress onto the elbow. Straight-gauge cost less, and simplify the build since they won't twist as much once you get close to final tension.
    Hmmm ... as our favorite Vulcan would say; "logical."

    Chris

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Terre Haute, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, depending on the day
    My Bikes
    n, I would like n+1
    Posts
    1,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciriarte View Post
    Hi jccaclimber,

    I wasn't worried about the length; I want to make this wheel as strong as possible, and I was worried about getting too thick a spoke that wouldn't fit through the hole.

    As far as a strong wheel, would a double or triple butted spoke be OK on a cargo bike rear wheel, or should I go with a straight gauge?

    Chris
    Vredstein has it covered, but since I was asked I'll throw in my 2 cents. I agree completely with what he said. Strait gauge spokes are a bit cheaper, and a touch easier to build into a wheel. Durability however will come from double and triple gauge spokes. The places that I have seen triple gauge spokes are on Tandem wheels, although I know some mtb guys that have used them as well. I'm not sure why the mtb guys are using them as they were always bending their rims out of true long before they ever fatigued spokes. As for cost, I figure that by the time I'm done paying for hubs, rims, and strait gauge stainless spokes, as well as taking the trouble to properly build the wheel, the added cost to have gone double butted instead of strait gauge is insignificant, so you might as well at least do that. As far as fitting through the hub, other than wheels which require custom spokes (ksyrium for example), I have not yet had an issue with spokes that I could not get through a hub flange. I did have a very difficult time getting spokes through my DT Swiss tandem hubs. However, that was due to the thickness of the flange rather than the diameter of the hole.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •