Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    Litespeed and a Fantom Cross Commuter
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Spoke Length for Deep V and Rear 6500 Ultegra Hub

    I used the spoke calc and I get 284.6 for the left side and 282.7 for the right side on a 32 hole 3 cross build. I'm guessing I need to be looking for 285mm and 283mm? I'm around 200 lbs and carry a pannier. I'm guessing the DT comps in 2.0,1.8,2.0 would be a solid choice. The best price I can find is $23.50 shipped for 18 black with nipples.

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by epon; 06-17-09 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #2
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, you need to go shorter. 284mm and 282mm

    spokes stretch and rims compress.
    just an idea, but you might want to try 2.0/1.8/2.0 comps on the right and 2.0/1.5/2.0 revos on the left which will allow the left side to stretch more and result in a more durable wheel.

    if you use revo spokes, DT spoke calc will recommend 1mm shorter than comp.
    in which case it would be 282mm comp and 283mm revo
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,087
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming your calculations are correct, go with 282 and 284. Always round down to avoid running out of spoke threads. DT Swiss Competition spokes are a good choice. I suggest that you try using the DT Swiss spoke length calculator.
    Edit: I would not use Revolutions on the drive side rear. They'll stretch too much. Revolutions would be fine on the non-drive side or on the front wheel.

    Al

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    Litespeed and a Fantom Cross Commuter
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each time I try and use the DT spoke Calc when I try to select a drop down item I am forwarded to the german version of the page. Done with that. Im using spocalc.xls by Damon Rinard. Thanks for the info DT Comps in 282mm and 284mm it is.

  5. #5
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    no, you need to go shorter. 284mm and 282mm

    spokes stretch and rims compress.
    just an idea, but you might want to try 2.0/1.8/2.0 comps on the right and 2.0/1.5/2.0 revos on the left which will allow the left side to stretch more and result in a more durable wheel.

    if you use revo spokes, DT spoke calc will recommend 1mm shorter than comp.
    in which case it would be 282mm comp and 283mm revo
    AEO's spoke sizes given above ARE EXACTLY CORRECT!!! 284mm and 282mm assuming 2.0 heads. Use at least 12mm nipples...14mm would be better.

    But however...I question why you are using Velocity DeepV's for a set of road wheels?

    Are you going just for faddish looks...or performance...? Velocity DeepV's are extraordinarily heavy rims...and offer absolutely no performance benefit over Mavic CXP-33's for example. If you are going for performance - welp your resulting wheels will be tank wheels.


    =8-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who need to know...

    ERD for Velocity DeepV's is a minimum of 581mm and a maximum of 582. Do not use 580mm as you think you are measuring because Velocity uses something similar to what Campy used back in the late 80s/early 90s to create the joint resulting in an additional 1mm of material at one or both holes to either side of the joint.

    =8-)

  7. #7
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm in information mode today... =8-)

    If you are going to do a lot of Velocity DeepV's like I do...buy yourself a 32 color set of Sharpies. Finish damage tends to occur at the holes near the joint - the Sharpies come in very handy.

    =8-)

  8. #8
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damon Rinard's spocalc is exactly correct. Meaning the end of the spoke will be just at the inside of the rim, with some threads left over.

    Mavic's spoke calculator adds a couple of mm, which gets the spoke to the end of the nipple.

    I guess what I'm saying is that you can round up or down a little bit with Rinard's spocalc with no problem...I've done it before and it's worked great. In fact, with spocalc I'll just round in the nearest direction and it always works out fine.
    Good night...and good luck

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
    For those who need to know...

    ERD for Velocity DeepV's is a minimum of 581mm and a maximum of 582. Do not use 580mm as you think you are measuring because Velocity uses something similar to what Campy used back in the late 80s/early 90s to create the joint resulting in an additional 1mm of material at one or both holes to either side of the joint.

    =8-)
    This nailed me on my first Aerohead build. I usually just take all the spokes to the bottom of the threads and add equal turns from there as I tension up. The tension around the joint was all wrong. Finally figured out there was a thick piece of metal in there.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Champaign, Il
    My Bikes
    Litespeed and a Fantom Cross Commuter
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
    AEO's spoke sizes given above ARE EXACTLY CORRECT!!! 284mm and 282mm assuming 2.0 heads. Use at least 12mm nipples...14mm would be better.

    But however...I question why you are using Velocity DeepV's for a set of road wheels?

    Are you going just for faddish looks...or performance...? Velocity DeepV's are extraordinarily heavy rims...and offer absolutely no performance benefit over Mavic CXP-33's for example. If you are going for performance - welp your resulting wheels will be tank wheels.


    =8-)
    It's for my 4 season commuter carrying ~200 lbs and panniers plus I just like them. I also cross nasty railroad tracks 2x daily.

    Thanks for the help all !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •