Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano Sora Rear Derailleur

    what do you think about Shimano Sora Rear Derailleur?

    My road bike is shwinn world sport. I'm not sure if my bike is double crankset cause this derailleur only fits to double crankset.

    If this is not a good derailleur then any recommenddation for under $30?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shifts just fine and I'd recommend it for the money. What are you expecting from it?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly Pacer with full Ultegra
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kris cho View Post
    If this is not a good derailleur then any recommenddation for under $30?
    Well, it is easy enough to tell. Double crank sets have two chain rings, triples have three. If you happen to have only one then the double (read) derailer will work fine.
    Surly Pacer

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    It shifts just fine and I'd recommend it for the money. What are you expecting from it?

    my rear derailleur makes rattling sound when i'm coasting

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Québec, Québec, Canada
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring 64cm, Peugeot Canada PB-18 61cm and winter beaters
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the Shimano Sora derailleur is fine. As I like to say, even cheap Shimano components work well. Just make sure that your bike takes a direct attachment derailleur and not one with a hanger (bracket attachment). If you need one with a hanger, consider the Shimano A050-SS or the TX-71GS
    Last edited by hernick; 06-19-09 at 10:49 PM.

  6. #6
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of being above, by $10, your $30 limit - someone will be very happy to find out about this utterly fine bargain:

    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...EAR+DERAILLEUR

    That's no joke. Happy Trails!
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by hernick View Post
    Yes, the Shimano Sora derailleur is fine. As I like to say, even cheap Shimano components work well. Just make sure that your bike takes a direct attachment derailleur and not one with a hanger (bracket attachment). If you need one with a hanger, consider the Shimano A050-SS or the TX-71GS
    i need the hanger..will the shimano derailleur get rid of the rattling sound?

  8. #8
    Senior Member surfengine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Laguna Hills
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its possible that a proper adjustment could fix the rattling sound.
    sometimes just a barrel adjustmnet can solve it.

    at what point does it rattle? in all gears? when switching high to low? low to high?

  9. #9
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfengine View Post
    its possible that a proper adjustment could fix the rattling sound.
    sometimes just a barrel adjustmnet can solve it.

    at what point does it rattle? in all gears? when switching high to low? low to high?
    +1 to diagnosing the actual problem before jumping to the most expensive solution (replacing).
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    Not wearing a helmet makes me more aware of my surroundings. I find myself anticipating the hardness of concrete 50 or 100 feet in front of me, it's almost a zen-like connection between my face and the pavement.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by surfengine View Post
    its possible that a proper adjustment could fix the rattling sound.
    sometimes just a barrel adjustmnet can solve it.

    at what point does it rattle? in all gears? when switching high to low? low to high?

    all gears.all time.

  11. #11
    Low car diet JiveTurkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR, USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
    Posts
    2,383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kris cho View Post
    all gears.all time.
    Sounds like it could be simply cable mis-adjustment. Try this: http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
    Quote Originally Posted by slopvehicle View Post
    Not wearing a helmet makes me more aware of my surroundings. I find myself anticipating the hardness of concrete 50 or 100 feet in front of me, it's almost a zen-like connection between my face and the pavement.

  12. #12
    Fred-ish rogerstg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kris cho View Post
    my rear derailleur makes rattling sound when i'm coasting
    I'd guess it's something other than the RD. First, they don't rattle too easily since they are basically spring loaded at all times. Second, it's tough to diagnose a rattle low and behind you as you ride.

  13. #13
    Senior Member oldpedalpusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabor View Post
    Well, it is easy enough to tell. Double crank sets have two chain rings, triples have three. If you happen to have only one then the double (read) derailer will work fine.
    You can actually get away with a installing a SS Road Sora on a bike with a triple... if the rear cassette is small enough...


    I run a 24-34-46 with a 14-15-16-17-18-20-23 (total difference 31 teeth) and there is plenty of chain take up even with the short cage because of its generous 11 tooth pulleys...


    It shifts flawlessly. I'm totally pleased with it. Even Shimano's cheap parts express their excellently engineered designs...

    ...and for under $20 it's a genuine bargain.

    Greg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •